Thread poster: Doris Wolf
Doris Wolf
Doris Wolf  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Nov 18, 2015

Hello,

As I am working with Wordfast Pro and one of my clients with Trados, I was asked to convert my TM into tmx which wasn't any problem from a technical point of view. However, the client can't open my tmx file. What can be the problem and how can I solve it? Thank you in advance!

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 07:45
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Simple manipulation for your client to do Nov 18, 2015

This is well explained in the Wordfast manual, which it would be a good idea to read on this topic.

Basically, your client won't be able to OPEN the .tmx TM; what they need to do is simply create a new Trados TM, and then IMPORT your .tmx into that. It is the work of a moment, once they have understood what is involved.

Alternatively, ask an obliging colleague who uses Trados to do it for you!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:45
English to Thai
+ ...
Text editor Nov 18, 2015

TMX can also be opened as text file with a text editor e.g. Notepad.

Soonthon L.

Doris Wolf
Doris Wolf  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation Nov 18, 2015

Hello,

Thank you very much for your answers.

I realized that my issue hasn't been expressed correctly, sorry. Here more details:

Of course, the client has imported the tmx TM into his Studio version (and I don't have any doubt that they know how to do), however, I have been notified that the content couldn't be found there. I am wondering about because I could perfectly see the content when I opened the TM before exporting it.
Thank you!

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
Local time: 07:45
German to French
+ ...
Could be a language coding problem Nov 18, 2015

If you can "open" the TM and see the content, then you have a syntax problem somewhere. It could be just a language coding question. I mean, for instance, that DE-DE in Wordfast could be not understand by Trados?

It could also be a question of declaration :

< ?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"? >
< tmx version="1.4" >

Such problems can be examined with tools like TMXValidator (Swordfish), Okapi Olifant or XBench...

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting txt into tmx

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »