Help, how do I install Worfast on MAC?
Thread poster: Rosa Insua
Rosa Insua
Rosa Insua  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:53
English to Spanish
Nov 12, 2015

Please, I need help to install Wordfast on my MAC...

Marcelina Haftka
Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:53
English to Polish
+ ...
Wordfast Classic on MAC Nov 12, 2015

Have you tried the following?
https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Installing_WFC_(MS_Word_2011_for_Mac)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZD1GM0Yfl4

Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:53
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
WordFast support Nov 12, 2015

Have you written to the Wordfast support people directly?

One of their support staff is named Yasmin Moslem. She is on ProZ and often posts comments to questions about WF. I don't know if she still works for them, but you can look her up here and write directly to her.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:53
Finnish to French
Which Wordfast? Nov 12, 2015

There are three variants of wordfast: Classic, Pro, Anywhere. See:

https://www.wordfast.net/?whichpage=faqbuying#02

Which one do you want to use?

If it is Classic, you need to be using Office 2011. It will not work with Office 2008 (no VBA at all) nor with 2016 (VBA, but incompatible). You can find installation instructions (for Word 2011) her
... See more
There are three variants of wordfast: Classic, Pro, Anywhere. See:

https://www.wordfast.net/?whichpage=faqbuying#02

Which one do you want to use?

If it is Classic, you need to be using Office 2011. It will not work with Office 2008 (no VBA at all) nor with 2016 (VBA, but incompatible). You can find installation instructions (for Word 2011) here:

https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/How_to_install_Wordfast_Classic

Also see:

https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Troubleshooting_Classic_on_Macs

Regarding Pro, see:

https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Wordfast_Pro_3_for_OS_X_requires_Java_6
https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Wordfast_Pro_3_can't_be_opened_because_it_is_from_an_unidentified_developer

Anywhere is browser-based, so there’s nothing to install. Just create yourself a free account at www.freetm.com
Collapse

Rosa Insua
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 12, 2015

Thanks for all your comments; Marcelina, that video literally saved my life!!!! I have been trying to install WF for a couple of days!

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Readme file Nov 13, 2015

Rosa Insua wrote:
I have been trying to install WF for a couple of days!

If you had read the Readme file included with Wordfast Classic 6.13 you would have seen this:

and when going below as instructed, you will have seen:

which is basically what the video shoes.

The only thing that is mentioned nowhere (yet) is that Wordfast Classic is not compatible with Word 2016. Office 2016 was only released a couple of months ago. I expect the information to be included in the compatibility page and the readme file very soon.

Rosa Insua
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Another question.. Nov 13, 2015

Hi again,

I am just going trought the training with WF and I was wondering, how do I to repair delimiters? On the training manual it says Ctrl+Alt+F12 but I guess that is for Windows...any idea o
n Mac? I just think I have done something those delimiters...

Thanks!

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Repairing delimiters Nov 13, 2015

Rosa Insua wrote:
I am just going trought the training with WF and I was wondering, how do I to repair delimiters? On the training manual it says Ctrl+Alt+F12 but I guess that is for Windows...any idea on Mac? I just think I have done something those delimiters...

The best way to repair delimiters is not to break them in the first place

Newbies tend to break them (it’s part of the learning process), but you will quickly learn what to do in order to avoid problems with them. One thing that helps is keeping paragraph marks visible.

The purpose of Ctrl+Alt+F12 is not to repair delimiters per se. It’s to turn off segment protection. If segment protection is turned on (default behaviour), you will not be able to touch delimiters, which you need to do in order to repair them.

Anyway, my advice to a newbie who has managed to do violence to delimiters is the following. "Amputate" the entire paragraph that contains corrupt delimiters. Paste said paragraph from the original source document. Retranslate it (should be fast, since all segments you already translated should be stored in your TM). I know it may sound radical, but this way you don’t have to do any "repairing". Repairing is best left to people who don’t mind getting their hands dirty and who know what they are doing. This is usually not the case with newbies.

As to keyboard shortcuts & Mac, they should work just the same. You may have to change your keyboard settings in System preferences so that function keys can be used by the actual application you are using (Word/Wordfast), as opposed to the OS (OS X). By default, functions keys (including combinations with Ctrl & Alt) do all kind of funny things (often unneeded/useless) in OS X.

There’s an article on the wiki about shortcuts on Mac, including how to get the essential keys that are missing from Mac keyboards:

https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Keyboard_shortcuts_on_Macs

Rosa Insua
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, just one more thing... Nov 13, 2015

Hi Dominique, many many thanks for the last post; now I am a bit confused because in the WF manual says the segments will be displayed like this:

"The first source segment appears on a blue background. The lower box is empty, with a light gray background. Note the purple delimiters that are before and after source and target segment"

However, when I translate, I can't see any purple delimiters on any of my segments; only when I enter the translation I can see the delimi
... See more
Hi Dominique, many many thanks for the last post; now I am a bit confused because in the WF manual says the segments will be displayed like this:

"The first source segment appears on a blue background. The lower box is empty, with a light gray background. Note the purple delimiters that are before and after source and target segment"

However, when I translate, I can't see any purple delimiters on any of my segments; only when I enter the translation I can see the delimiters on the source and target segments; that is why I am not sure If I have done something to the delimiters or it is just that what I am using, is an different version of what I can see in the manual....

Thanks for your help!
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Outdated manual Nov 13, 2015

Rosa Insua wrote:

It’s probably because the manual is slightly outdated and doesn’t fully matches the behaviour of the current version. In the current version, delimiters are hidden from the users when a translation session is open. The rationale is it is more pleasing to the eye (true IMO) and it will also reduce the risk of corrupting segments. So someone actually reads the manual

Rosa Insua
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Nov 13, 2015

Ohhh, great, so, so far so good then...

Thanks again!

Rosa Insua
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Where do I find the following? Nov 15, 2015

Dear all,

I am trying to fine-tune WF and I was wondering, where do I find the following?

I have tried to follow those steps but I was not able to find anything.

Thanks!

Mandatory One-Time Settings (under Edit, Preferences)
0 “Penalties” must match the mandatory settings. Under Translations, Translation Memory, Penalties.
0 Translation memory settings must match the mandatory settings. Under Translations, Translation M
... See more
Dear all,

I am trying to fine-tune WF and I was wondering, where do I find the following?

I have tried to follow those steps but I was not able to find anything.

Thanks!

Mandatory One-Time Settings (under Edit, Preferences)
0 “Penalties” must match the mandatory settings. Under Translations, Translation Memory, Penalties.
0 Translation memory settings must match the mandatory settings. Under Translations, Translation Memory.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Penalties... Nov 15, 2015

... are set under Translation Memory > TM rules and Translation Memory > TM Attributes

Rosa Insua
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Dominique :) Nov 15, 2015

And, another silly question...what is a TXML file? Is that the bilingual file?

Thanks!

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TXML... Nov 15, 2015

...is for Wordfast Pro / Anywhere, not Classic. The bilingual file in Classic is a Word document (often called "uncleaned").

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help, how do I install Worfast on MAC?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »