Téma indítója: Alex Lago
ronsmith
ronsmith  Identity Verified
Brazília
Tag (2012 óta)
japán - portugál
+ ...
Hours to import a glossary? Sep 14, 2013

I decided to import a 1076 term tab-delimited glossary into WF Pro. As I realized it would take some time, I went and had dinner, watched some tv and came back to the computer, only to find out that it hadn't finished yet!

Then, I came to this forum, read all the posts and decided to write my own. It's still there doing heaven knows what. The cancel button is disabled, the progress bar goes right and left and doesn't give me any idea of how long it is still going to take, and I c
... See more
I decided to import a 1076 term tab-delimited glossary into WF Pro. As I realized it would take some time, I went and had dinner, watched some tv and came back to the computer, only to find out that it hadn't finished yet!

Then, I came to this forum, read all the posts and decided to write my own. It's still there doing heaven knows what. The cancel button is disabled, the progress bar goes right and left and doesn't give me any idea of how long it is still going to take, and I can't access the main screen. I am afraid to just kill the program because my 77k+ words project is open right now.

I wouldn't be so frustrated if I hadn't paid a fortune for a software written by amateurs. Why can't it be like OmegaT, which is infinitely cheaper, and you don't need to “import” a glossary; you just drop the file in the project's glossary folder, reload the project (this about 1 or 2 seconds in my machine), and you're set.

I finished writing this post, reviewed the content, and it's still there. No indication of progress. It could take some more minutes or it could take hours. I will go for a walk and give it 10 or 20 minutes more, then I will have no option but kill it and run the risk of loosing the 800 TU's I've already translated.
Collapse

ronsmith
Brazília
Tag (2012 óta)
japán - portugál
+ ...
My computer is fast Sep 14, 2013

By the way, the story I just told you about how awfully slow WF Pro is to import a glossary is happening in an i7 3.4 GHz with 8 Gb of RAM, and WF set to use 1024 Mb. I would probably be able to run weather forecast models faster than WF Pro is running. Every other software I have in this computer work like a charm, including the Java-based ones. WF Pro is the only one I have problem with.

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
angol - olasz
+ ...
no harm for the open TXML Sep 15, 2013

ronsmith wrote:

I am afraid to just kill the program because my 77k+ words project is open right now.

If you confirmed the segment in the TM, you can rest assured that you can retrieve your translation.
Running a 77k words file in WFPro is not a great idea, in my experience.

In case you have confirmed the segment in the TM and when you re-open the TXML file some segments are not translated, simply hit the Translate until fuzzy button so that they are applied to the existing TXML.

The only drawback is that they will be marked as 100% match from the existing TM, when they might be fuzzies or no match.

ronsmith
Brazília
Tag (2012 óta)
japán - portugál
+ ...
I tried again! Sep 22, 2013

Thank you SEA-words. I ended up killing the application and thankfully I had no problem. By the way, I didn't have 77k "file" loaded into WF at the time. It was a 77k "project", split in 11 files.

For the project I will start working Monday, I really would like to be able to use the Microsoft Term Collection TBX glossaries. So I decided to try to load it today into WF Pro and give it all the time it may need. The particular tbx glossary I am trying to load has 11 Mb and a total
... See more
Thank you SEA-words. I ended up killing the application and thankfully I had no problem. By the way, I didn't have 77k "file" loaded into WF at the time. It was a 77k "project", split in 11 files.

For the project I will start working Monday, I really would like to be able to use the Microsoft Term Collection TBX glossaries. So I decided to try to load it today into WF Pro and give it all the time it may need. The particular tbx glossary I am trying to load has 11 Mb and a total of 20,043 terms.

If you are reading this, try to think what you consider to be absurdly slow to load a glossary. What is a really absurd amount of time? I would say that anything more than a few minutes is already absurd (remember, I am on an i7 3.4 MHz with 8 Gb of RAM). If it took half an hour, I would say that it's already way beyond absurd.

I will kill WF in a moment because I need to use it for something else right now, but it's still running. I just wished it was running faster . The application is loading (or trying to load) my tbx glossary for over 16h and 20min. Yes, I will spell it out: sixteen hours and twenty minutes. And it still doesn't seem to be anywhere near finishing. I wouldn't know anyway: there is no progress bar, no indication on the status bar and no console output. Nothing! It's there doing its thing, but it won't tell me what thing that is. It most probably crashed "inside": it didn't "freeze"; it still looks like it's running.

It's a shame because if I want to use any serious glossary other than the one I made while translating something, I will just have to use another CAT because WordFast Pro is useless without my glossaries.

I am using the latest version available today. I hope they fix it

Wordfast
Version: 3.2.1
Build id: 20130815-0946
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Lengyelország
Local time: 19:32
Tag (2002 óta)
angol - orosz
+ ...

A fórum moderátora
A WEBOLDALAT LOKALIZÁLÓ FORDÍTÓ
Wordfast is WordSlow, actually Sep 22, 2013

Right, it is awfully slow: in my case it searches for concordance for a few minutes (!) in TMs of quite average size, and even in rather small ones. And I need to always keep the option of automatic TM lookup "OFF" as it slows down my work incredibly.

Luckily, it is recently possible to work with TXML files in SDL Studio, so I do it with great pleasure.

Similar Problem Sep 26, 2013

Well, my problem is not exactly the same.

It is not about how many segments in one file, nor how many TM entries in use. It is the length of one single segment.

Since I work English to Chinese translation, I need to input Chinese characters via IME.
When a segment contains more than 50 byte (that is 50 single-bytes, or 25 Chinese characters), it will take 2-3 seconds waiting for IME to work properly, on EVERY SINGLE INPUT.
And moving to the next segment is a
... See more
Well, my problem is not exactly the same.

It is not about how many segments in one file, nor how many TM entries in use. It is the length of one single segment.

Since I work English to Chinese translation, I need to input Chinese characters via IME.
When a segment contains more than 50 byte (that is 50 single-bytes, or 25 Chinese characters), it will take 2-3 seconds waiting for IME to work properly, on EVERY SINGLE INPUT.
And moving to the next segment is another nightmare.

It kills productivity.

Text view helps, a little.
Collapse

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 18:32
francia - angol
Slow Mac start-up Sep 29, 2013

Apologies if I am off-topic, but it may be of use to somebody. Having purchased Wordfast on Tuesday, I was alarmed by the subsequent very slow start-up of one of my Macs, sometimes taking more than an hour, but never less than five minutes. This is on a 2012 MacBook Pro running the latest OS with 4GB memory (I know I need to add more). The iMac is on Lion and has less memory, but launched much more quickly. Rightly or wrongly, I guessed that licensing had added on-linefacilities causing multiple... See more
Apologies if I am off-topic, but it may be of use to somebody. Having purchased Wordfast on Tuesday, I was alarmed by the subsequent very slow start-up of one of my Macs, sometimes taking more than an hour, but never less than five minutes. This is on a 2012 MacBook Pro running the latest OS with 4GB memory (I know I need to add more). The iMac is on Lion and has less memory, but launched much more quickly. Rightly or wrongly, I guessed that licensing had added on-linefacilities causing multiple "recent hangs", typically about 60 per start-up. I could not work out why it only happened with the newer Mac. Looking at the Console messages, my attention was first drawn to the Java configuration. Both machines have 1.7.40 but, when Wordfast is first launched, an error message suggests that the Apple version of 1.6 is needed if it is not already present. Inspiration came when I saw, only on the MacBook, references to eclipse.org . It dawned on me that the iMac has Eclipse installed, though I hardly ever use it, and that the Firewall was set for this to allow incoming connections. Installing Eclipse and allowing it incoming connections gives a start-up time of about a minute. I don't understand this at all, but will be sending a note to Wordfast.Collapse

Ahmed Salem
Ahmed Salem  Identity Verified
Egyiptom
Local time: 20:32
angol - arab
+ ...
Change Font Nov 8, 2013

Dear All,

I am a freelance English < > Arabic translator and I faced the same problem over the last couple of months but I finally managed to resolve it. Please do the following;

1. Open Wordfast
2. Go to Edit > Preferences > Colors and Fonts
3. Change the font of Txml Editor into Times New Roman.
4. Click Apply (you will notice that font has changed)

The whole issue happens because of the Verdana font. You can change it to your favorit
... See more
Dear All,

I am a freelance English < > Arabic translator and I faced the same problem over the last couple of months but I finally managed to resolve it. Please do the following;

1. Open Wordfast
2. Go to Edit > Preferences > Colors and Fonts
3. Change the font of Txml Editor into Times New Roman.
4. Click Apply (you will notice that font has changed)

The whole issue happens because of the Verdana font. You can change it to your favorite font.

Please try this solution and let me know what you think.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
Ahmed Salem
www.egytrans.net
Collapse

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
Local time: 19:32
angol - spanyol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
I use Tahoma 13 Nov 8, 2013

mohaaa2020 wrote:
The whole issue happens because of the Verdana font. You can change it to your favorite font.

Thanks unfortunately this is not my case as I use Tahoma 13

Paul Reeve
Paul Reeve  Identity Verified
francia - angol
+ ...
Sluggishness on every character with both Mac and Windows versions of WFP in even medium-sized files Dec 15, 2014

I have been using WFP for years, never on really large files (usually in the low hundreds of segments), often with quite small TMs, and I systematically have a problem after I've translated maybe a hundred segments: the program begins to respond sluggishly on every single keystroke, with a noticeable, distracting and functionally problematic lag between the keystroke and the appearance of the corresponding character. The delay seems to be cumulative, so the more typing I do the greater the wait ... See more
I have been using WFP for years, never on really large files (usually in the low hundreds of segments), often with quite small TMs, and I systematically have a problem after I've translated maybe a hundred segments: the program begins to respond sluggishly on every single keystroke, with a noticeable, distracting and functionally problematic lag between the keystroke and the appearance of the corresponding character. The delay seems to be cumulative, so the more typing I do the greater the wait until all the characters appear. I have systematically experienced this in both the Mac version, on a recent MacBook Air with decent specs (now a few years old but it was true from the outset), and the Windows version, on different machines I've had to use for this or that reason, basically always with the latest version of WFP. I usually just break up the source file (more or less always a Word file) into small pieces (a few pages) and translate those. But I happen right now to be translating a file with some page layout characteristics that make doing that problematic (copying and pasting won't readily yield a single file that looks like the original). The font change to Times New Roman didn't seem to help. Guess I'll try OmegaT!Collapse

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 11:32
Memory Preference Dec 15, 2014

Hi Paul,

The sluggishness you mentioned is really odd on latest version of WFP. Have you tried increasing the memory from Edit > Preferences > Memory Preferences and set it to max 1470 or 1024. Restart WFP and try the same file again.

If that doesn't help and if you have glossary with highlights try to disable 'Highlights terms in editor with box' from Preferences > Terminology

What version are you currently using?

Thank you,

John

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazília
Local time: 14:32
angol - portugál
+ ...
Az Ő emlékére:
Some input from WordSlow CLASSIC Dec 16, 2014

Maybe this will be helpful, assuming that whatever programming techniques & strategies available in WFC that could be recycled upon developing WFP will have been used.

BTW, I gave up on WFP years ago on account of speed. I'm still using WFC, in spite of its $19.99-shareware interface and total lack of user-friendliness.

I had a 512 MB Nvidia video board. One day it went bad (later I found out it was a blown electrolytic capacitor), and the computer would crash often, un
... See more
Maybe this will be helpful, assuming that whatever programming techniques & strategies available in WFC that could be recycled upon developing WFP will have been used.

BTW, I gave up on WFP years ago on account of speed. I'm still using WFC, in spite of its $19.99-shareware interface and total lack of user-friendliness.

I had a 512 MB Nvidia video board. One day it went bad (later I found out it was a blown electrolytic capacitor), and the computer would crash often, until I changed the video drivers to standard VGA instead of Nvidia's. Video became jittery, and WFC became ABUSIVELY slow. All other software seemed to work OK.

Then I replaced the video board with a 2 GB AMD Radeon. Ever since, WFC became sooo fast, even with behemoth-sized Word files, that it seems to me that WordFast is not keen in optimizing their code for video.

Maybe - and I'm guessing here - WordFast Pro speed would benefit from a more powerful video board. If anyone has the resources to test for this difference, it might be worth a try.
Collapse

Marek Burakowski
Marek Burakowski  Identity Verified
Finnország
Local time: 20:32
angol - finn
+ ...
Hunspell Dec 10, 2015

'Hunspell should be disabled completely. At least for my usual target language it is totally useless, and it seems to slow things down even if you leave 'check while typing' unselected.

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Frustrated with how slow Wordfast Pro can be

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »