Off topic: average income of freelance translators and the average life expenses in the UK
Thread poster: Ömer Maraş
Ömer Maraş
Ömer Maraş
Türkiye
Local time: 11:19
German to Turkish
+ ...
Jan 22, 2022

Hi folks,

I'm wondering what the average income of freelance translators and the average life expenses in the UK are... What do freelancers earn per month, and what is the average monthly costs of living in the UK (rent included and excluded)...??

Just wondering....

Any answers???

Thanks in advance!

regards

Omer

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:19
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
34 years of experience ... Jan 23, 2022

... and you still don't know what your average income for freelance translating is? And per month? Or per hour? I wonder if any here could answer that question. In my 14 years as a freelance translator, I only was able to assume a certain trend, how my annual income year will be, after 6 months and then again after 9 months. Costs of living in the UK: In 2007 I had to spend a term abroad in the UK, and I had to pay € 400 for a single room in Portsmouth with a shared bath and kitchen, and I won... See more
... and you still don't know what your average income for freelance translating is? And per month? Or per hour? I wonder if any here could answer that question. In my 14 years as a freelance translator, I only was able to assume a certain trend, how my annual income year will be, after 6 months and then again after 9 months. Costs of living in the UK: In 2007 I had to spend a term abroad in the UK, and I had to pay € 400 for a single room in Portsmouth with a shared bath and kitchen, and I wonder whether that price hasn't risen since then.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-01-23 13:25 GMT]
Collapse

Baran Keki
Barbara Carrara
writeaway
Dalia Nour
expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
I'd ask that question Jan 23, 2022

specifically to the Turkish translators living in the UK, assuming by freelancing you mean working as a translator in your language pairs, and not as a web designer or programmer or something else.
Personally, I wouldn't fancy my chances in the UK or EU with an unpopular and oversaturated language pair like English to Turkish...

Matthias Brombach
Barbara Carrara
writeaway
expressisverbis

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:19
Dutch to English
+ ...
No idea ... Jan 23, 2022

... and I'm not sure that averages will be very helpful as both will vary so widely. For example, housing costs in Stoke on Trent will be massively different to London or Oxfordshire and income will vary between language combinations and depend on how many hours someone puts in or how good a marketer they are.

Barbara Carrara
writeaway
Daryo

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
The only thing we can say for certain is… Jan 23, 2022

… freelance translator incomes are above the cost of living. Otherwise we wouldn’t do it.

Matthias Brombach
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
And for what language combination? Jan 23, 2022

Ömer Maraş wrote:

I'm wondering what the average income of freelance translators and the average living expenses in the UK are...

No freelance translator will make a higher or lesser revenue when she/he lives inside or outside the UK or any other country. You will earn the same revenue in London in your language combinations as you would in Istanbul or in Kutluca. The same applies to your question in the German branch of this forum: https://www.proz.com/forum/german/355610-durchschnittliche_einkommen_freiberuflicher_übersetzer_durchschnittlichen_ausgaben_in_deutschland.html
And I wonder whether any colleague would share his/her annual income in the public (apart from the few boasters who reached more than 100 k in USD per year for their first time).

[Bearbeitet am 2022-01-23 18:17 GMT]

Baran Keki
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Ömer Maraş
Ömer Maraş
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"in general" Jan 23, 2022

thanks for all your replies (also in the other language forums)

Dear Matthias

I asked in general. I just wondered if it is "just make do" in other countries as well. And I heard that the cost of living in EUR countries is higher than our average, so I wondered if freelancers in EU countries have it more difficult than us here..

I guess, it's "to each mountain its own snow"...

regards,

Omer

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
When it comes to your ... Jan 23, 2022

... language combination and to living expenses, then I assume (apart from other reasons), that you are already living in the best of countries, as a native speaker, who translates into his native language. And you shouldn't forget income taxes and certain kinds of insurance, which are or can be mandatory in some countries (like income tax and health insurance in Germany). And if you have to leave or will leave your country because of certain reasons, then translation work may be at least cover ... See more
... language combination and to living expenses, then I assume (apart from other reasons), that you are already living in the best of countries, as a native speaker, who translates into his native language. And you shouldn't forget income taxes and certain kinds of insurance, which are or can be mandatory in some countries (like income tax and health insurance in Germany). And if you have to leave or will leave your country because of certain reasons, then translation work may be at least cover the most important expenses you may have the first time before you look for any other or additional sources of income (translation work as it used to be 10 years ago won't be the same in your language combinations too any longer, I assume, because of DeepL and the associated business change to more "post editing" jobs etc.).Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
DELETED Jan 24, 2022

_

[Edited at 2022-01-24 07:21 GMT]

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Not even that is certain Apr 28, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

… freelance translator incomes are above the cost of living. Otherwise we wouldn’t do it.

That would be a reasonable assumption. But Homo economicus is more a theoretical fiction than reality. There is number of bored housewives who don't care much about "making a living", and a number of retired people who don't care much either about "making a living". Not to forget a number of people who can't get their numbers straight (a.k.a. "incapable of the most basic cost-benefit analysis"), and keep working at loss when they should be looking for alternatives.

Short version: "in general" is ways too vague - it could be anything between "making a very decent living" and "high time to get out and cut your losses".

[Edited at 2023-04-28 02:28 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
From today's news: average monthly rents hit £2,500 in London and £1,190 for rest of UK Apr 29, 2023

Assuming that your rent should not be more than on third of your income, if you live renting in London your monthly income, on average, should be £2,500 x 3.

Outside London it should be £1,190 x 3.

Draw your own conclusions!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

average income of freelance translators and the average life expenses in the UK

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »