Last TUs not in TM after PC crash (Trados 7.5)
Auteur du fil: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:55
anglais vers allemand
+ ...
Jul 26, 2006

Dear colleagues,

from time to time my PC crashes, when you're in a translation that can be annoying. But normally I could restore the lost translations because they were stored in my TM. Only the really last one was gone. After several crashes I realized that my last translated or changed TUs are not in my TM anymore. Did this also happen to you, did Trados 7.5 change something in the way of saving the TUs?

Thanks in advance for your experience

Regards
... See more
Dear colleagues,

from time to time my PC crashes, when you're in a translation that can be annoying. But normally I could restore the lost translations because they were stored in my TM. Only the really last one was gone. After several crashes I realized that my last translated or changed TUs are not in my TM anymore. Did this also happen to you, did Trados 7.5 change something in the way of saving the TUs?

Thanks in advance for your experience

Regards

Noe
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Tchèque (République)
anglais vers tchèque
+ ...
Last TUs not in TM after PC crash Jul 26, 2006

did Trados 7.5 change something in the way of saving the TUs?

No, it simply happens and you were lucky that it didn't happen before. The translation units are not safe until the TM is closed. If your PC crashes frequently, you should make backup copies of the translation files - and get your computer fixed.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Espagne
Membre
anglais vers français
Hynek's right Jul 27, 2006

This behaviour dates back before v7.5. The TUs are permanently written to disk only at periodic intervals and when closing TWB.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Allemagne
Membre (2004)
anglais vers slovène
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
... so it makes sense to press Save Jul 28, 2006

in Word now and then - then the bilingual file is still there.

And I would assume a "Close segment" DOES save the segment and TM. Well, there's one way to find out:

1. Opened word and write "Hello world"
2. Opened TWB and translated to "Hallo Welt"
3. Closed the segment
4. Shot TWB down with the task manager

The translation is in. So if you close the segment you can be pretty sure (let me rephrase: you can expect (g)) the translati
... See more
in Word now and then - then the bilingual file is still there.

And I would assume a "Close segment" DOES save the segment and TM. Well, there's one way to find out:

1. Opened word and write "Hello world"
2. Opened TWB and translated to "Hallo Welt"
3. Closed the segment
4. Shot TWB down with the task manager

The translation is in. So if you close the segment you can be pretty sure (let me rephrase: you can expect (g)) the translation to be safe.

Of course, if the segment is open and TWB throws up because of a screw-up with tw4win marks, then it's another story.

[Edited at 2006-07-28 11:33]
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
anglais vers allemand
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
Intervals Jul 28, 2006

Hello,

thank you for sharing your experiences. I realised that sometimes not even for concordance search the latest TUs appear. From time to time Workbench saves all new entries but no idea in which interval. The backup-file in SDLX is quite fine, normally you don't loose anything. Wordfast saves directly to the txt file I think.

Anyway 7.5 is quite unstable, a lot of error messages are popping up all the time. I saw questions about that too but no answer from Trados,
... See more
Hello,

thank you for sharing your experiences. I realised that sometimes not even for concordance search the latest TUs appear. From time to time Workbench saves all new entries but no idea in which interval. The backup-file in SDLX is quite fine, normally you don't loose anything. Wordfast saves directly to the txt file I think.

Anyway 7.5 is quite unstable, a lot of error messages are popping up all the time. I saw questions about that too but no answer from Trados, so waiting for the cumulative patch.

Regards

Noe
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Tchèque (République)
anglais vers tchèque
+ ...
Lost units Jul 28, 2006

So if you close the segment you can be pretty sure (let me rephrase: you can expect (g)) the translation to be safe.

Unfortunately, it's not exactly true.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Last TUs not in TM after PC crash (Trados 7.5)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »