Worth upgrading from SDLX 2004 & Trados 6.5 to SLDX Trados?
论题张贴者: Anne Lee
Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 07:49
正式会员 (自2003)
Dutch荷兰语译成English英语
+ ...
Jul 16, 2006

So far, I have been working successfully with SDLX 2004 Bonus edition, which I am really comfortable with. I also have Trados 6.5 but admit that I never managed to get to grips with it. A customer has offered me a large project provided I upgrade to SDLX Trados.
But how worthwhile is this? My reservations are that I am concerned that I will no longer be able to use my old TMs.
Also, I regularly switch from SDLX on my desktop to using SDLX on my laptop by unregistering and registerin
... See more
So far, I have been working successfully with SDLX 2004 Bonus edition, which I am really comfortable with. I also have Trados 6.5 but admit that I never managed to get to grips with it. A customer has offered me a large project provided I upgrade to SDLX Trados.
But how worthwhile is this? My reservations are that I am concerned that I will no longer be able to use my old TMs.
Also, I regularly switch from SDLX on my desktop to using SDLX on my laptop by unregistering and registering over the Internet with my soft dongle, which apparently is not possible with SLDX Trados, according to a posting on the SDLX Yahoo forum. Can anyone who upgraded share their experience? Feel free to email me on [email protected]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
德国
Local time: 08:49
正式会员 (自2004)
English英语译成Slovenian斯洛文尼亚语
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
That should not be an issue Jul 17, 2006

I am concerned that I will no longer be able to use my old TMs

I went through 3 versions of TRADOS and never had to do anything with TMs. If TMs do happen to be incompatible - very much improbable, but not impossible -, you can still export them all in the old version and reimport the into the new version.

Regards

Vito

Ian M-H (X)
Ian M-H (X)
美国
Local time: 02:49
German德语译成English英语
+ ...
Partial answer Jul 17, 2006

I've never used SDLX 2004 (I started with 2005), and also cannot speak about the Trados part of the package (I never use it!), but using the latest SDLX version (i.e. the one included as part of the new double pack) I still

regularly switch from SDLX on my desktop to using SDLX on my laptop by unregistering and registering over the Internet
without any problems.

Hope that helps a little, at least.

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
美国
正式会员 (自2005)
English英语译成Italian意大利语
+ ...
No problem Jul 17, 2006

From the User Manual:

Translation memories created in Trados 6.5 and earlier can be opened by version 7.x of Translator's
Workbench. However, to benefit from the new Unicode-related enhancements, it is necessary to
export the 6.5 or earlier translation memories and then import them into newly created version 7.x
translation memories.

And:

SDL Trados software uses FLEXlm softkey protection. All license information is stored in a lice
... See more
From the User Manual:

Translation memories created in Trados 6.5 and earlier can be opened by version 7.x of Translator's
Workbench. However, to benefit from the new Unicode-related enhancements, it is necessary to
export the 6.5 or earlier translation memories and then import them into newly created version 7.x
translation memories.

And:

SDL Trados software uses FLEXlm softkey protection. All license information is stored in a license
file (*.lic). The license file is stored on your computer. From the Customer Center, you are
entitled to download two softkey license files to use on up to two computers, such as your desktop
computer and your laptop.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Worth upgrading from SDLX 2004 & Trados 6.5 to SLDX Trados?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »