Where is CTRL comma function in Trados 2021?
Thread poster: A. Deb
A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2023

Hi

I have upgraded to Trados 2021 and struggling to find the old CTRL+comma function that would allow you to select a word and wrap tags around it. When I try and do that, the dropdown appears with the available tags but when I select one, the word I wish to wrap the tags around disappears! It seems you can only use the CTRL+comma function to insert one tag at a time rather than surround a word.

Please can you help. It's taking me forever inserting them one by one.
... See more
Hi

I have upgraded to Trados 2021 and struggling to find the old CTRL+comma function that would allow you to select a word and wrap tags around it. When I try and do that, the dropdown appears with the available tags but when I select one, the word I wish to wrap the tags around disappears! It seems you can only use the CTRL+comma function to insert one tag at a time rather than surround a word.

Please can you help. It's taking me forever inserting them one by one.

Thanks
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:13
English to Russian
Still there Jan 30, 2023

I can't reproduce that behavior. When I select a word, press Ctrl+comma and select a tag, the word gets wrapped in tags. Try posting your question here: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/p/addpost

expressisverbis

Hung Mai
Hung Mai
Vietnam
Local time: 08:13
English to Vietnamese
Try pressing Ctrl+Alt+right/left arrow... Feb 1, 2023

...to alternate between tag pairs in a segment. I'm using Studio 2017 and Ctrl+comma only shows a drop-down list too.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:13
English to Russian
By design Feb 1, 2023

Hung Mai wrote:

...to alternate between tag pairs in a segment. I'm using Studio 2017 and Ctrl+comma only shows a drop-down list too.
This is by design. You can select a pair of tags from the list. No need to alternate between them. When you select a tag from the drop-down list, both tags are inserted, not just one.

[Edited at 2023-02-02 14:31 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Hung Mai
Hung Mai
Vietnam
Local time: 08:13
English to Vietnamese
Sorry for the confusing comment Feb 3, 2023

...to alternate between tag pairs in a segment.

What I suggest is to press Ctrl+Alt+right/left arrow to select the tag or tag pairs (which will be highlighted) in the source, then release the keys, the selected tag (pair) will be inserted into the target. I don't know how to make a visual example like Stepan, so I can't show it to you (sorry).
I try the Ctrl+comma, it does work the way Stepan says in Studio 2017.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where is CTRL comma function in Trados 2021?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »