Thread poster: William Pairman
William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:04
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Nov 22, 2023

I've been offered a very attractive subtitling revision job. It involves checking the translation, style and time coding and ensuring that the characters per second limit is not exceeded.

I'm unsure on how to cost it as a percentage of my normal subbing rate - does 60% seem reasonable?

I haven't seen any of the work so I don't know what the quality is like.

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:04
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
... Nov 22, 2023

60% seems fine. But most of the time, when I accept a subtitle revision task, I know what sort of quality is waiting for me so I'm not surprised. Files have some sort of a standard. But sometimes files come from outsources and timings are so messed up that they might need adjustment or new segmentation for every box. You may want to leave a little bit margin and decide your final rate after seeing at least one file/episode. Good luck.

Josephine Cassar
Dalia Nour
S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:04
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sarper! Nov 22, 2023

Funnily enough, straight after posting the question that thought occurred to me so I did exactly what you recommended!

[Edited at 2023-11-22 20:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reviewing another's subtitling - rates

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »