how to set subtitling rates with a rush fee, no script
Thread poster: Julia Courtney
Julia Courtney
Julia Courtney
United Kingdom
May 1, 2023

Hi all,

I have been invited to join the translation team for a Danish language services company and asked to provide them with information regarding my rates. I have scoured the forums and found some valuable info but still unsure what to charge as there is no script and they want a quick turnaround for these projects. Thus they are asking for my "rush fee". I am new to subtitling and have no experience in setting rates, much less "rush fees". I am certainly willing to work for lowe
... See more
Hi all,

I have been invited to join the translation team for a Danish language services company and asked to provide them with information regarding my rates. I have scoured the forums and found some valuable info but still unsure what to charge as there is no script and they want a quick turnaround for these projects. Thus they are asking for my "rush fee". I am new to subtitling and have no experience in setting rates, much less "rush fees". I am certainly willing to work for lower rates as to gain experience. But at the same time, I am keenly aware of the importance of not underselling chronically undervalued language services and thereby fostering the culture of unliveable translation/ subtitling rates.

Here are the specs they gave me, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!

Duration: approx. 35-45 min
Task description: German transcription to English Close Caption file. Please deliver a text transcription in German too.
Platform: Apple Music
Materials: No script available only video.
Delivery file: CEA 708 Standard SCC
Rate per min: What is your rate for this kind of work? I need rush fee and normal fee
Deadline: 24-48 hours from you get the task
Guidelines to follow: Netflix TTSG.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to set subtitling rates with a rush fee, no script

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »