Claudia Paiano
Claudia Paiano
Germany
Local time: 20:09
English to German
+ ...
Dec 8, 2014

Hi there,

I wonder if it is possible to integrate a standard-LINE-based Trados calculation in Translation Office 3000 - I have the feeling that it is only possible to import a *.csv file or to put the values in by hand for a Trados calculation on a WORD basis?

I am working with TO3000, version 10.

Thanks a lot,
Claudia

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Settings > Advanced Dec 9, 2014

The weighted calculation being basically the same whether we count lines, pages, words or characters (one is simply a multiple of any other), maybe you can use Settings > Advanced > CATCount to set the custom unit you wish (defined in Settings > Business).
If you can get a .csv file counted in lines with Trados, CATCount should give you a weighted line count exactly the same way as it would with a word count.

Or so I think.

Philippe

Claudia Paiano
Claudia Paiano
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work Dec 9, 2014

Thanks Philippe, I appreciate it.

Under Settings-Business-Volume Units I put in a value called "standard line" (whether "Used by AnyCount" is ticked or not) and I fill in that this unit consists of 55 characters, selecting "with spaces". Now, going back to Settings-Advanced-CatCounts, "Enabled" is ticked and next to the "Change" button it says "words". In order to change that to my newly entered unit, I click on the button, a window opens which says "only word-based units available.
... See more
Thanks Philippe, I appreciate it.

Under Settings-Business-Volume Units I put in a value called "standard line" (whether "Used by AnyCount" is ticked or not) and I fill in that this unit consists of 55 characters, selecting "with spaces". Now, going back to Settings-Advanced-CatCounts, "Enabled" is ticked and next to the "Change" button it says "words". In order to change that to my newly entered unit, I click on the button, a window opens which says "only word-based units available. Note: Use Business settings to add custom volumen units here" - which I just did! But it does not show up in the window or I can not select any other value than "words". Did you ever try it witch version 10 or older?

Claudia
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Haven't tried Dec 9, 2014

claudia_berlin wrote:
...Did you ever try it witch version 10 or older?...

I own version 11. I haven't checked whether my suggestion works and merely hinted at a possible direction. I don't use lines, but a standard line could be whath they call a "word-based" unit, as opposed to a "time-based" unit.
Maybe closing the program and restarting it will show your new unit.

Hope it helped anyway.

Philippe

Edit: After playing around and triggering a few app issues/failures/freezes, I think that you have to choose the radio button Word in the Settings > Business > Volume units for CATCount to include the unit in the options available. I don't know how many words there are in a standard line, but with standard relations between characters, lines, pages and words (which I don't know, maybe there: http://www.translationtribulations.com/2012/09/equivalent-rates-in-translation-billing.html), you may be able to set a unit named "standard line" as XX words, XX being the standard number of words included in a standard line, probably with decimals.

[Edited at 2014-12-09 17:59 GMT]

Claudia Paiano
Claudia Paiano
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I did Dec 10, 2014

Edit: After playing around and triggering a few app issues/failures/freezes, I think that you have to choose the radio button Word in the Settings > Business > Volume units for CATCount to include the unit in the options available. I don't know how many words there are in a standard line, but with standard relations between characters, lines, pages and words (which I don't know, maybe there: http://www.translationtribulations.com/2012/09/equivalent-rates-in-translation-billing.html), you may be able to set a unit named "standard line" as XX words, XX being the standard number of words included in a standard line, probably with decimals.

[Edited at 2014-12-09 17:59 GMT]

Yeah, that's what I did (see "Under Settings-Business-Volume Units I put in a value called "standard line" (whether "Used by AnyCount" is ticked or not) and I fill in that this unit consists of 55 characters, selecting "with spaces". Now, going back to Settings-Advanced-CatCounts, "Enabled" is ticked and next to the "Change" button it says "words". In order to change that to my newly entered unit, I click on the button, a window opens which says "only word-based units available. Note: Use Business settings to add custom volumen units here" - which I just did! But it does not show up in the window or I can not select any other value than "words"."

FYI: A restart didn't change anything.

I contacted again the customer service, hoping for help.

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Office 3000 - Trados matches for standard lines calculation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »