Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jun 7, 2014

Sorry if this seems out of place, but I do not keep any blog of myself, where I could post this. We usually post only about issues we encounter with software (like our clients, who most of the time only send negative feedback if any).
I have been using Abbyy Finereader 8 since ages and was quite satisfied with it. But a few months ago I finally updated to the most recent version 12 during a update campaign in April for only 108 Euro.
Two weeks ago an agency contacted me about a trans
... See more
Sorry if this seems out of place, but I do not keep any blog of myself, where I could post this. We usually post only about issues we encounter with software (like our clients, who most of the time only send negative feedback if any).
I have been using Abbyy Finereader 8 since ages and was quite satisfied with it. But a few months ago I finally updated to the most recent version 12 during a update campaign in April for only 108 Euro.
Two weeks ago an agency contacted me about a translation from Finnish to German. They sent a scanned pdf of 17 pages which was of good quality. I used Finereader 12 to generate a Word-file in order to count the words. When I got the PO the agency sent along their own OCR-Word-file to work on it. I opened it and was upset. The text was almost unreadable.
If you don't know Finnish, believe me its a nightmare for ocr-programmers. Words like liitto, double i and l in font Areal etc. Of course also äö, lots of ää and so on.
I opened my own file from Finereader 12, saw it looked good and told the client I will use my own file.
I loaded the file into Studio 2014 and translated without any glitch. There was a single spelling mistake, but that was from the original. After saving the translation I had to spend very little time reformatting, mostly only removing page-breaks and reuniting or dividing paragraphs.

So I would like to thank the programmers from Abbyy for their excellent job.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-06-07 04:06 GMT]
Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
You are right Jun 7, 2014

I've been using Finereader 10 for OCRing Japanese text, and it works OK, but if the scanned document is even slightly poor in quality there are tons of misreadings to correct. I recently looked at just such a document for a potential job, and there would have been way too much work just getting the source text workable that the deadline was impossible.

On your advice, I upgraded to Finereader 12 and tried to OCR the same document as a test. There are still some errors (this is unavo
... See more
I've been using Finereader 10 for OCRing Japanese text, and it works OK, but if the scanned document is even slightly poor in quality there are tons of misreadings to correct. I recently looked at just such a document for a potential job, and there would have been way too much work just getting the source text workable that the deadline was impossible.

On your advice, I upgraded to Finereader 12 and tried to OCR the same document as a test. There are still some errors (this is unavoidable with Japanese I think), but I'd estimate that there are only 10% of the errors that Finereader 10 came up with.

A definite improvement...thanks for the tip!
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:01
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Is it worth upgrading from 11 to 12? Jun 7, 2014

I was recently offered this at a reduced price but it was still about GBP100, and I didn't think from the specification of the differences that it was worth while. But I could be wrong. Has anyone accepted this upgrade? If so, what do you think of it?

[Edited at 2014-06-07 11:37 GMT]

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:01
German to English
+ ...
Wondering the same thing Jun 9, 2014

Jack Doughty wrote:

I was recently offered this at a reduced price but it was still about GBP100, and I didn't think from the specification of the differences that it was worth while. But I could be wrong. Has anyone accepted this upgrade? If so, what do you think of it?

[Edited at 2014-06-07 11:37 GMT]

I have Finereader 11 Pro as well and am now wondering the same thing. I think I will stick with 11 for the time being, because I don't have significant problems with OCRing German.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:01
Italian to English
+ ...
Excellent Jul 16, 2014

Hi Heinrich,
Just wanted to say thanks for the tip.
I've been using an aged version of Omnipage for years (14 I think) and the latest version of Finereader is excellent.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I highly recommend Finereader 12

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »