Heikki A (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:29
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jul 16, 2012

Hi! Have you tried the Text United App?

https://www.textunited.com/en/Default.aspx

I downloaded the app, but haven't yet given it a serious go (the UI seems a bit awkward and I in fact don't know how to start translating, but nevermind...)

Anyway, the cloud and teamwork aspects seem cool, but can someone compare the app to e.g. Trados, MemoQ etc. in actual
... See more

I downloaded the app, but haven't yet given it a serious go (the UI seems a bit awkward and I in fact don't know how to start translating, but nevermind...)

Anyway, the cloud and teamwork aspects seem cool, but can someone compare the app to e.g. Trados, MemoQ etc. in actual use?
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 21:29
English to German
Are clouds cool? Jul 17, 2012

Heikki A. wrote:

Anyway, the cloud and teamwork aspects seem cool

I doubt that all your professional clients will consider such a cloud to be cool.

BTW, is it a cloud anyway? Or is it just a web service? In these days one has to call anything "cloud-enabled", even if it is just a mouse pad - otherwise nobody will buy it.

Heikki A (X)
Heikki A (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah... Jul 17, 2012

... not a cloud service, I suppose, since the app runs locally.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Never heard of! Jul 20, 2012

Heikki A. wrote:

Never heard of (and I try hard to monitor the CAT tool scene closely)! I wasn't able to get any of their video tutorials to work, using three different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE). Not a good sign...

Roman Karabaev
Roman Karabaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:29
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi Heikki, Jul 20, 2012

I did a couple of projects in this CAT tool (imposed by the Client, of course).
First of all, as far as I know, you won't be able to translate anything unless the project manager assigns you the files (and I don't know if there is some specific application for managers) - i.e. you cannot process any files stored on you HDD directly like you do it in Trados.

The editor looks like a table - the left column is for the source text segments, the right one is for the target text.
... See more
I did a couple of projects in this CAT tool (imposed by the Client, of course).
First of all, as far as I know, you won't be able to translate anything unless the project manager assigns you the files (and I don't know if there is some specific application for managers) - i.e. you cannot process any files stored on you HDD directly like you do it in Trados.

The editor looks like a table - the left column is for the source text segments, the right one is for the target text. Bad news is that the software sometimes splits sentences and relocates their segments - you can find out that the second/third/... part of a sentence appeared way below the first one.

Second, the online mode is incredibly slow (same thing for Across and similar systems). The editor stumbles at numerals, so be prepared either to "copy source" or to type every number manually even if you come across a table that contains nothing but numerical data.

All "teamwork" consists of sharing the same online translation memory petween all peers, working on the same project with you. Of course, the system would recalculate the wordcount: if someone translates a text segment and you have the similar one in you portion, your "no match" wordcount will decrease. In other words, the statistics you have in the beginning of the project differs (sometimes significantly) from the stats you'll receive upon completion. This can be used by agencies to advance their demands for dicounts.

Third, you won't have proper spellcheck tool for your traget language.

The concordance search works awfully - sometimes it fails to find existing repetitions without any reasons. Sometimes I had to search the terms within my own translated text manually just because the concordance search screwed up again.

As a conclusion - it might be very convenient tool for project managers in terms of tracking your output and overall control. But it is the translator who pays for this convenience after all. New versions of Text United keep coming, so maybe some day this CAT will become better, but I don't see it as a substitution for Trados.
Collapse

Roman Karabaev
Roman Karabaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:29
English to Russian
+ ...
Update Mar 29, 2014

Hi Everyone,

Almost two years have passed since I wrote the above review on Text United App.
The application was a bit raw, but the developer keeps working on it, and the information given above is no longer valid.
Therefore I found it reasonable to write an update to my old post.

First of all, they made the system work quickly enough so that I no longer feel that difference in comparison with conventional desktop applications.
The annoying lags di
... See more
Hi Everyone,

Almost two years have passed since I wrote the above review on Text United App.
The application was a bit raw, but the developer keeps working on it, and the information given above is no longer valid.
Therefore I found it reasonable to write an update to my old post.

First of all, they made the system work quickly enough so that I no longer feel that difference in comparison with conventional desktop applications.
The annoying lags disappeared. Plus the offline mode is available in case you have a slow Internet connection.

Another big improvement is that they managed to make the concordance search work properly.

Sometimes the segmentation errors still occur (the result of bad formatting of the source text), but the segments of a sentence are no longer scattered all over the file like they used to.

Next, you no longer have to deal with segments that contain nothing but numerical data – the system skips them just like any other CAT tool.

Spellchecker appeared (at least for Russian), so the typos are now highlighted.

In fact the developer has virtually eliminated most of the problems mentioned above, so I think now the system is worth giving a try.
I hope they’ll keep on evolving.
Collapse

Adalbert Kowal
Adalbert Kowal

German to English
+ ...
Text United App Jan 5, 2015

I am working with this App already a couple of years, as Text United is one of my preferred customers. The app does get updates every now and then and has improved very much. As a translation tool it is very intuitive and the functions of concordance etc. are really helpful. Besides I do appreciate not to have long and heavy files on my desktop (which sometimes are hard to send to the agency). There is also the possibility to insert terminology (helpful if more than one translator is working on ... See more
I am working with this App already a couple of years, as Text United is one of my preferred customers. The app does get updates every now and then and has improved very much. As a translation tool it is very intuitive and the functions of concordance etc. are really helpful. Besides I do appreciate not to have long and heavy files on my desktop (which sometimes are hard to send to the agency). There is also the possibility to insert terminology (helpful if more than one translator is working on the same text) and translating as well as proofreading are done in a very simple way (tags to be inserted in the right place by a simple mouse click).
The app also does word count and billing instructions automatically which is very fine. To summarize in a word: they are doing a great job.
Collapse

Semir Mehadzic
Semir Mehadzic  Identity Verified
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Text United - further developments Jan 22, 2015

It seems this discussion could use a contribution directly from Text United GmbH team (me, in this case). Let me tell you more about what Text United is and how it works in practice. In short, it is not merely a translation agency, that has a CAT tool on its own.

We have a broader, innovative concept that works like this:

Clients - mostly high-tech companies - pay a monthly fee for using the Text United system to perform 1) translations in-house, 2) send them t
... See more
It seems this discussion could use a contribution directly from Text United GmbH team (me, in this case). Let me tell you more about what Text United is and how it works in practice. In short, it is not merely a translation agency, that has a CAT tool on its own.

We have a broader, innovative concept that works like this:

Clients - mostly high-tech companies - pay a monthly fee for using the Text United system to perform 1) translations in-house, 2) send them to freelancers directly, or 3) send it to Text United Translation Department, if the project is too complex (or clients simply have no resources for managing it at that moment). Regardless of who they send the translation job to, they can monitor the progress in real-time, and see the names of people translating it, and their rates.

1) If clients do translation internally, they pay only this monthly fee. 2) If the clients work with freelancers, they have to pay us the monthly fee for using the system, but also the translators directly for their work. 3) If they asked our translation department for help, we charge the freelancers' rates + a fixed per cent of the whole translation cost (for our PM services). We then pay out the translators.

From this, you can deduce who earns money from what (we do from the monthly fee and PM service fees), and what the benefits for everyone involved are. One of the most interesting consequences of this approach is that clients can now see which translators we employed in their previous projects, and can send them jobs the next time directly (totally bypassing us, and thus making additional savings). And they are doing precisely that. Translators get paid their rates, either way.

PS The translation work sent to translators via Text United is received and performed in the cloud-based Text United App (a powerful desktop translation editor). The features of our Text United App have already been explained above, so there is no need to delve into that. I can only say that we are very happy to see all the improvements being immediately noticed and accepted by the freelance translator community.

[Edited at 2015-01-22 14:13 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text United App

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »