Thread poster: Moreechika
Moreechika
Moreechika
Bangladesh
English to Bengali
+ ...
Jul 23, 2010

Hello there !

Can anyone Hindi or Urdu translator tell me which is the best and the easiest to learn, error-free, fully unicode-compliant FREE phonetic typing / input software for Hindi ...and also Urdu ? It can be a single software or 2 separate ones for Hindi and Urdu. Can you give me a download link ? (By the way, I am not looking for a mouse-click based typing / input software.)

I have an Indian friend & colleague whom I want to encourage in typing Hindi and Urdu (s
... See more
Hello there !

Can anyone Hindi or Urdu translator tell me which is the best and the easiest to learn, error-free, fully unicode-compliant FREE phonetic typing / input software for Hindi ...and also Urdu ? It can be a single software or 2 separate ones for Hindi and Urdu. Can you give me a download link ? (By the way, I am not looking for a mouse-click based typing / input software.)

I have an Indian friend & colleague whom I want to encourage in typing Hindi and Urdu (she knows both) using computers. She is not that tech-savvy I think, so she is not aware of such softwares - although Hindi is her mother tongue. She can use computers and internet very well - as long as it's all in English. That's it. She is a bit afraid of using complicated indic languages in computers. I think a phonetic input program may suit her.

So, can anyone help me / her by recommending any such freely downloadable software ?

Note: What I mean by phonetic typing/input software is the kind of software which allows you to type your language (in this case Hindi & Urdu) using the standard English keyboard -- spelling it in English (transliterating) and then the output comes out in your language's own script. Do you use any such software ?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:49
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Please try New Horizon Media (NHM) for Hindi phonetic typing Jul 23, 2010

Even though these people (NHM) started with Tamil, they have now extended the service to Hindi as well among some other Indian languages.

Advantages:
1. Unicode fonts and phonetic typing precisely as desired by you in this post. It is useful for the inscript mode of typing as well.
2. Respective keyboard and other easy to follow instructions.
3. Easy toggling between Hindi and English typing.

Unfortunately, they do not cover Urdu yet.

Plea
... See more
Even though these people (NHM) started with Tamil, they have now extended the service to Hindi as well among some other Indian languages.

Advantages:
1. Unicode fonts and phonetic typing precisely as desired by you in this post. It is useful for the inscript mode of typing as well.
2. Respective keyboard and other easy to follow instructions.
3. Easy toggling between Hindi and English typing.

Unfortunately, they do not cover Urdu yet.

Please see: http://software.nhm.in/

All the best.

Regards,
N. Raghavan

P.S.: As for Urdu typing, try http://www.lipikaar.com/help/Urdu/lipikaar-Urdu-typing-software-faq
I got this information by googling.

[Edited at 2010-07-23 01:19 GMT]
Collapse

dhsanjeev
dhsanjeev  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:49
English to Hindi
+ ...
Typing tool Jul 23, 2010

Hello For Hindi Unicode compliant typing tool that too in transcription mode then pl. download Hindi Indic IME tool from www.bhashaindia.com website. Its a freeware develpoed by Microsoft itself and works very well on windows. The tool is a small one and quite easy to use and install. Enven if you find any difficulty with regard to its use or installation u ca... See more
Hello For Hindi Unicode compliant typing tool that too in transcription mode then pl. download Hindi Indic IME tool from www.bhashaindia.com website. Its a freeware develpoed by Microsoft itself and works very well on windows. The tool is a small one and quite easy to use and install. Enven if you find any difficulty with regard to its use or installation u can even contact me at my email ID- [email protected]
I wil be glad to help you at my end.
Sanjeev
e]Moreechika wrote:

Hello there !

I have an Indian friend & colleague whom I want to encourage in typing Hindi and Urdu (she knows both) using computers. She is not that tech-savvy I think, so she is not aware of such softwares - although Hindi is her mother tongue. She can use computers and internet very well - as long as it's all in English. That's it. She is a bit afraid of using complicated indic languages in computers. I think a phonetic input program may suit her.

So, can anyone help me / her by recommending any such freely downloadable software ?

Note: What I mean by phonetic typing/input software is the kind of software which allows you to type your language (in this case Hindi & Urdu) using the standard English keyboard -- spelling it in English (transliterating) and then the output comes out in your language's own script. Do you use any such software ?

Thanks in advance! [/quote]
Collapse

Sohail Moghal
Sohail Moghal
Pakistan
Local time: 16:19
English to Urdu
+ ...
Download the best Urdu Phonetic Keyboard from here ... Jul 23, 2010

Hi,

Here is the URL from where you can download the most efficient and easy-to-use Urdu Phonetic Keyboard for your friend:
http://www.crulp.org/software/localization/keyboards/CRULPphonetickbv1.1.html

You'll also find very detailed instructions on this page about installing and using this keyboard.

I guarantee that
... See more
Hi,

Here is the URL from where you can download the most efficient and easy-to-use Urdu Phonetic Keyboard for your friend:
http://www.crulp.org/software/localization/keyboards/CRULPphonetickbv1.1.html

You'll also find very detailed instructions on this page about installing and using this keyboard.

I guarantee that your friend will become an expert Urdu Typist within a week (I myself am proof of this

Kind regards,

Sohail Moghal
(sohailmoghal.webs.com)
Collapse

Moreechika
Moreechika
Bangladesh
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all ! Aug 2, 2010

Hello Everybody,

Thanks a lot for all your help !!

Arif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HINDI & URDU phonetic typing software

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »