AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:13
English to Czech
+ ...
Company name Sep 11, 2022

You are right Thomas but this is a warning I see on my screen above the post:

"Please remember that no names should be mentioned when denouncing a scam, to keep your post in line with forums rule #8. The purpose of avoiding naming names in a case like this is to prevent possible issues with libel, since the names used in these cases are not always made-up and can be the names of actual, innocent persons. "

Using a well-known company name as a part of the contact s
... See more

"Please remember that no names should be mentioned when denouncing a scam, to keep your post in line with forums rule #8. The purpose of avoiding naming names in a case like this is to prevent possible issues with libel, since the names used in these cases are not always made-up and can be the names of actual, innocent persons. "

Using a well-known company name as a part of the contact seems to be a popular tool. Quite effective, it seems.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:13
Danish to English
+ ...
Names Sep 12, 2022

AnnaSCHTR wrote:

Using a well-known company name as a part of the contact seems to be a popular tool. Quite effective, it seems.

Yes, there is such an instruction, which I hadn't noticed before, but it misquotes rule number 8, which only bans outsourcer names, not the names of scammers. The problem is that some members unfortunately think that if e.g. [email protected] (fictional name) sends them a fraudulent email, then such members believe that the message came from a company with the name Yucktrucks and that Yucktrucs Ltd. is a fraudulent company. It has happened that such members have wrongly accused honest companies of being scammers by such members.

If a legitimate company name is misused by scammers, then of course we should not refer to the legitimate company name and wrongly associate it with scams.

So we need to be sure not to make baseless accusations that way, but if we have investigated things properly and ascertained that we are not accusing legitimate companies or honest people, then the rules do allow us to post names used for genuine scams.

It seems some scammers have taken a step further from simply trying to fool people with a [email protected] email address and are now creating fake domains and websites.

This is a reminder that we always need to ascertain which natural or legal person we are dealing with while remembering that email addresses, domain names and websites are easy to create and not always a reliable source for determining if a company exists.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Yeah Sep 12, 2022

That looks like a typical scammer site. Stolen photos, vague description, vague offers to desperate or newbie job seekers.

Probably ends with them trying to send you a fake check for 10x the amount it was supposed to be ("please wire us back our money to Nigeria" scam) or an offer to send you equipment... that they then ask to mail somewhere else abroad because the job was 'canceled' ("have things they bought with a stolen credit card delivered to your home & mail them to Russia/Bel
... See more
That looks like a typical scammer site. Stolen photos, vague description, vague offers to desperate or newbie job seekers.

Probably ends with them trying to send you a fake check for 10x the amount it was supposed to be ("please wire us back our money to Nigeria" scam) or an offer to send you equipment... that they then ask to mail somewhere else abroad because the job was 'canceled' ("have things they bought with a stolen credit card delivered to your home & mail them to Russia/Belarus" scam).

And no, I'm not being mean to any countries, that's just historically where most such scams actually originated.

Btw, the fake check thing steals your money (bank will hold you liable once it verifies the check is fake), while the shipping scam steals nothing from you... but leaves you as an unwitting co-conspirator, which can be troublesome when the rest of the gang is entirely out of reach of justice, since it's only ever run from places where local cops could care less about theft/fraud perpetrated online against foreign marks.

[Edited at 2022-09-12 14:15 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:13
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mariane Sep 12, 2022

You're not alone...

https://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/MegaBBS/forumthread31475.htm

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »