ghislaine rosso  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:46
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Apr 13, 2022

Hi
I have been assigned a translation job by an american agency. We have corresponded via the Telegram application.
They had me signed an application, form, a NDA.
i have known them through a freelancer's site
I have translated 35 pages.
They sent me an email : your translation is being reviewed;
please, send your Paypal address.
You will be paid today.
Then, I have received another email from the IRS, which seems strange with an onmail address:<
... See more
Hi
I have been assigned a translation job by an american agency. We have corresponded via the Telegram application.
They had me signed an application, form, a NDA.
i have known them through a freelancer's site
They sent me an email : your translation is being reviewed;
please, send your Paypal address.
You will be paid today.
Then, I have received another email from the IRS, which seems strange with an onmail address:
"Your Payment has been frozen by IRS agencybecause your account is not linked to the US portal to allow all company transaction to your Paypal account abroad. Your amount needed to create the portal to link your Paypal account is $200.00
For you to access theportal to your payment the portal needs to be open and you don' have the pin to access the portal to make your payment confirmed.
All you need is to make the payment of $200.00 and you ll receive your payment immediately
Note : this payment will expire in the next 48 hours

then, theres is a link at the end of this email : I have clicked on it : and it is supposed to be a link to IRS ... on Telegram, to tell me how to send the money !!!!!
I do not believe in all this, all the more, I am from France, I do not have anything to do with IRS

Well, it will have been a good translation exercice for me !!!! (unpaid)
Collapse

Edward Potter
Shae-Alicia Lewis

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:46
Danish to English
+ ...
Fraud Apr 13, 2022

Since this is clearly not an agency but a fraudster, you can publish all their details here (name, email address, website …) without breaking the forum rule against discussing individual agencies in the forums.

You didn't do any sort of due diligence first, did you?

On which 'freelancer site' did you find them?

If someone claimed to be a US translation agency but communicated in so poor English as the email you quote, all my alarm bells would have been ri
... See more
Since this is clearly not an agency but a fraudster, you can publish all their details here (name, email address, website …) without breaking the forum rule against discussing individual agencies in the forums.

You didn't do any sort of due diligence first, did you?

On which 'freelancer site' did you find them?

If someone claimed to be a US translation agency but communicated in so poor English as the email you quote, all my alarm bells would have been ringing.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
expressisverbis
ghislaine rosso
Taner Tanrıöver
Jennifer Levey
Thiago Capatti
Kevin Fulton

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Oops Apr 14, 2022

ghislaine rosso wrote:
...theres is a link at the end of this email : I have clicked on it...

Has anything happened to your computer/data/device since?

With a Telegram order only? We're in 2022, they could have used e-mail technology! At least your didn't pay them for it.

Philippe

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Gerson Correia
Edward Potter

ghislaine rosso
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Huge scam Apr 14, 2022

Their name is :Translation Services and they are recruiting translators on : www.freelancer.com

Ayesha Tufail (X)
Thomas T. Frost
Edward Potter

ghislaine rosso
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Huge scam their name Apr 14, 2022

You can downnload a document they have sent to you previously

And you must choose between 4 subjects :

35 pages, 52 p, 70 p , 120 p

Fortunately, I had chosen the smallest one !

Is there another way to complain against them ?

Ayesha Tufail (X)
Edward Potter

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Report them to the site Apr 14, 2022

ghislaine rosso wrote:

Is there another way to complain against them ?

It's probably a good idea to read the site's scam warnings at https://www.freelancer.com/support/freelancer/general/common-scam-warning-signs-you-should-avoid?w=f&ngsw-bypass= and then use the Contact Us link to report the fraudsters to freelancer.com to have them removed.

Proz also contains plenty of resources explaining scams. We ignore them at our peril.

And next time, remember to verify independently that the client is a genuine company by checking e.g.

• company registers

• the company's website

• the company domain information in whois through sites such as whois.domaintools.com (for example to check if their domain is as old as they claim the company is)

• that they are communicating from the genuine company domain (not e.g. [email protected])

• their reputation in the Blue Board at Proz and sites such as paymentpractices.net.

Kevin Fulton
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Yolanda Broad
Dalia Nour

ghislaine rosso
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Big scam Apr 14, 2022

The email address of the scammers is :
[email protected]

Thomas T. Frost

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Public email domain Apr 14, 2022

ghislaine rosso wrote:

The email address of the scammers is :
[email protected]

Thanks for posting that. Onmail is just a public email service like Gmail, so we have no idea who is contacting us from such a domain. Nearly all decent companies have their own domain.

I would still report the fraudulent activity to Onmail at https://support.onmail.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to try to have that email address taken down, as the scammers' use is surely not in accordance with the terms and conditions for Onmail.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Dalia Nour

Ayesha Tufail (X)
Ayesha Tufail (X)
Pakistan
Local time: 11:46
English to Urdu
+ ...
How to Avoid scams Apr 14, 2022

Hi,
Freelancer.com is full of scammers.To Avoid them one and only tip is keep all your communication and payment through freelancer.Otherwise you will not pe paid a single penny

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Ghislaine Apr 14, 2022

Do you mean xyz USA LLC (I'm trying to avoid going against the forum rule by not writing the full name)? They are not on Proz AFAIK, but insofar as I researched, they seem legit as several translators on Proz say they have worked with this company, apparently without any problems. Could this be a fraud by false impersonation?

Thomas T. Frost
Dalia Nour

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Such a company Apr 14, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

Do you mean xyz USA LLC (I'm trying to avoid going against the forum rule by not writing the full name)? They are not on Proz AFAIK, but insofar as I researched, they seem legit as several translators on Proz say they have worked with this company, apparently without any problems. Could this be a fraud by false impersonation?

Yes, Teresa, such a company exists and is legitimate, but they have obviously not been involved in this scam.

What makes an experienced translator skip due diligence and accept a major order from an unidentified person? Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to be demeaning. And I know it takes some courage to admit in public that you have been scammed. But I'm curious as to what makes people think such an order is genuine. What is it that makes someone lower their guard and accept that an unidentifiable person is a legitimate company?

Thiago Capatti
Vadim Kadyrov
Joe France
Dalia Nour
Adrian MM.
Edward Potter

Afghanistan
posco scam still ongoing Jun 5, 2023

they post on upwork.com and mention the email [email protected] in the profile to get in touch for questions about the job.

they claim to be from POSCO International. In my case i got a text related to the Covid-19 Virus outbreak in China.

First they want to see a trail work and give you 1 page to work on. Once approved you get this email to choose a work amount:

PROJECT INSTRUCTIONS:
... See more
they post on upwork.com and mention the email [email protected] in the profile to get in touch for questions about the job.

they claim to be from POSCO International. In my case i got a text related to the Covid-19 Virus outbreak in China.

First they want to see a trail work and give you 1 page to work on. Once approved you get this email to choose a work amount:

PROJECT INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Go through project plans below and select any one you'll be able to do.
2. Make sure you can do the work as seen in the demo sent to you before you pick any plan.
NOTE: 
PROJECT PLANS:
Plan A.
PA6ES/DURATION 30 pg(s) 3 days
SALARY $ 1,200

Plan B.
PAGES/bURATION 55 pg(s) 6 days
SALARY $ 1,800

Plan C.
PAGES/bURATION 85 pg(s) 12 days
SALARY $ 2,500

Plan b.
PAGES/bURATION 130 pg(s) 15 days
SALARY $ 3,500

TERMSAND CONDITIONS:
1. Project should be completed within the deadline. 2. If any extra or duplicate file found in the zip file, the entire work will be rejected.
3. Incomplete project will not be accepted.
4. Only type manually, using third party softwares is prohibited. 5. If file is not typed as shown in the demo video it will be rejected.
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
1. You'll receive and submit work via mail.
2. You'll send us only soft copy of outputs files .
3. You'll get your accuracy report and payment within 12 hours after submitting project.
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
These are the only accepted methods of receiving your salary 1. PAYPAL
2. SKRILL
3. NETELLER
4. PAYEER
5. BITCOIN
6. BANK TRANSFER.

Afterwards you need to make a "work profile" and tell them your age and name, country and even send them a selfie of yourself.

Once you deliver the work they "approve" it and send to a guy on handling the payments on telegram.

The Telegram of those scammers is @paymentmanagements and @Mohamedzara3

Mohamed Zara claims to be the Posco Intertional Project Director.
Miguel Alvaro claims to be the Payment Manager.

Its a huge scam operation!

Don't fall for those guys.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seems to ba a huge scam !!!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »