Diana C. Marquez
Diana C. Marquez
Canada
Local time: 09:55
Member (2021)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 22, 2021

I received a request today via the contact form of the OTTIAQ website (Quebec order of translators) from a "Martin Roux" who left a cell phone number from France that incidentally seems to belong to a "Martin Liège." He wants a document on the creation of the scientific spirit, written in French, translated into English by a certified translator. Before checking the phone number, what made my Spidey senses tingle was his last sentence: "Si vous êtes disponible pour cette mission veuillez me r�... See more
I received a request today via the contact form of the OTTIAQ website (Quebec order of translators) from a "Martin Roux" who left a cell phone number from France that incidentally seems to belong to a "Martin Liège." He wants a document on the creation of the scientific spirit, written in French, translated into English by a certified translator. Before checking the phone number, what made my Spidey senses tingle was his last sentence: "Si vous êtes disponible pour cette mission veuillez me répondre rapidement afin que je vous fasse parvenir le document." It's the "mission" aspect that didn't sit well with me. Then the phone number belonging to a different name.

Since I was contacted by the scammers offering the translation of the LUKSO document--and almost fell for it--I'm a wee bit paranoid now.

Did anyone else encounter this request? Could it be legitimate? This is the full message:

Prénom
Martin
Nom
Roux
Courriel
[email protected]
Téléphone
Questions ou commentaires
Bonjour,
Je me présente, monsieur Martin Roux. J'ai eu votre contact sur le site de L'OTTIAQ. Je me permets de vous contacter suite à ma recherche d'un(e) traducteur(/trice) pour la traduction anglaise d'un document concernant la formation de l'esprit scientifique rédigé en langue française.
Si vous êtes disponible pour cette mission veuillez me répondre rapidement afin que je vous fasse parvenir le document. Cordialement.
Martin

*** End of message

Id' love to hear what you have to say. Thanks for your insights.

Diana
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:55
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
The general rule is: Jul 23, 2021

no verifiable contact details = scam.

Just forget.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Edward Potter
Yolanda Broad
Mr. Satan (X)

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Maybe Jul 23, 2021

Or maybe they're actually upstanding alchemists working tirelessly to create a golem with a soul.

Although no, on second thought, that sounds more like a Leninist motivational pamphlet for the scientific-minded proletariat.

Conclusion: either way, pretty dodgy.

And when it comes to dodgy folk, they don't even need to be intentional scammers to be a nightmare to work with.

[Edited at 2021-07-23 11:36 GMT]

Yolanda Broad
Jorge Payan

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 10:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scam 101 Jul 23, 2021

Please browse the site on this kind of issues. You'll see it is basic scam. Several signs and red lights. Just delete it.

Diana C. Marquez
Diana C. Marquez
Canada
Local time: 09:55
Member (2021)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 23, 2021

I had browsed a few of the forum's entries and seen nothing about this particular scam, so I wrote the post. Only after did I see that it had already been posted. So, my apologies for repeating the question.

But thank you for your responses.

Andrea Fernández Vivanco
Andrea Fernández Vivanco  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:55
French to Spanish
+ ...
It's definetly a scam Nov 2, 2021

Dear Diana,

I have been scamed by this Martin Roux. Unfortunately, I didn't notice. I wasted my time translating the text "Formation de l'esprit scientifique" into Spanish. Luckily, I didn't send the translation but it took me hours of work for nothing.

Thanks for your alert, anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam - document on the "creation of the scientific spirit"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »