Is this a SCAM?
Thread poster: Anna Denzel (X)
Anna Denzel (X)
Anna Denzel (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:18
English to German
Dec 29, 2019

I received an email requesting a document that needs to be translated from English to German 44 pages, 11,638 Pages. The person was not logged in on ProZ and only gave me her first name and a strange email consisting of only two letters and the rest numbers. The IP address resulted in this but I don't really know what that means:

IP: 209.234.253.139
Decimal: 3521838475
Hostname: 209.234.253.139
ASN: 12989
ISP: IPVanish
Organization: IPVanish
Servi
... See more
I received an email requesting a document that needs to be translated from English to German 44 pages, 11,638 Pages. The person was not logged in on ProZ and only gave me her first name and a strange email consisting of only two letters and the rest numbers. The IP address resulted in this but I don't really know what that means:

Services: Network sharing device or proxy server
Type: Corporate
Assignment: Likely Static IP
Blacklist:
Continent: North America
State/Region: California
City: Anaheim
Latitude: 33.8405 (33° 50′ 25.80″ N)
Longitude: -117.9526 (117° 57′ 9.36″ W)
Postal Code: 92801

I am new to ProZ and translation. How do I proceed to find out if this is a scam?
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Scams are rampant on Proz Dec 29, 2019

It's a huge site filled with people who all want translation jobs. It seems to be a victim of the sitting-duck syndrome. If it seems like a scam, it probably is one.
Trust your instincts.

Thomas T. Frost
Katarzyna Slowikova
Tina Vonhof (X)
Kevin Fulton
Anna Denzel (X)
Jessica Noyes
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:18
English to Czech
+ ...
100% scam Dec 29, 2019

Anna Denzel wrote:

I am new to ProZ and translation. How do I proceed to find out if this is a scam?

I'm telling you it's a 100% scam but if you want to "find out" yourself, have a look in this group. You'll probably find the body of the message quoted in some thread. Or just google it.
Serious client would introduce themselves and give you some info you can verify.
Oh and btw. google "IPVanish".
Enough red flags??

Liviu-Lee Roth
Anna Denzel (X)

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
This is an old, old scam (more than 6 years old) Dec 29, 2019

Anna Denzel wrote:

Services: Network sharing device or proxy server
Type: Corporate
Assignment: Likely Static IP
Blacklist:
Continent: North America
State/Region: California
City: Anaheim
Latitude: 33.8405 (33° 50′ 25.80″ N)
Longitude: -117.9526 (117° 57′ 9.36″ W)
Postal Code: 92801

I would suggest to read the scam forum at least once a week.

Stay safe,
Lee

IrinaN
Kevin Fulton
Anna Denzel (X)
Walter Landesman

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 20:18
English to German
In memoriam
In this case it is obvious Dec 29, 2019

Anna Denzel wrote:

In this case it is obvious, because the "44 pages" are typical for a scam text that seems to be copied and re-used by hundreds of scammers. The main point is that they want to pre-pay you with a fake check and then make you return some of the money for any excuse like "accidental overpayment" or whatnot. Later the check will bounce. They are not interested in the actual translation.

There are several clues that something is a scam:
- when the document they want translated just was pulled from the internet somewhere
- when the person/company and address are not clearly stated
- when they easily agree to high rates and long deadlines
- when they are eager to pay you in advance
- when they want to pay by check (red alert!)

Take care.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Kevin Fulton
Liviu-Lee Roth
IrinaN
Anna Denzel (X)
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Laura Kingdon

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 13:18
English to Russian
+ ...
Ruth? Dec 29, 2019

It's a scam but a bit more frightening one in my view - when I went ahead to the "Report spam" button 5 seconds after receiving the message, the prompt asked me first if I suspect that someone is "impersonating someone I know BECAUSE YOU CONTACTED THIS PERSON BEFORE", which is a complete BS since I have never, ever did that with a single identical message sent under different name(s).

Anna Denzel (X)

Anna Denzel (X)
Anna Denzel (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 29, 2019

Thank you everyone. Yes, I agree. It's very odd and sounds very much like a scam. If it were a real request the person would have given at least the last name and a deadline. I have decided to 'run' from this...
And yes, her name is Ruth.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a SCAM?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »