Thread poster: Evelyne Targe
Evelyne Targe
Evelyne Targe  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:16
English to French
Apr 14, 2016

Hello,

I'm brand new in the translation industry and I'm affraid of scams. Real scams.
I understand that once in a while, you're not being paid. But being robbed is quite another thing.
Now, I'm a little bit confused about the informations a client asks me.
I may be paranoid and ridiculous though.

So, it's for a long job (5 - 6 months) and require to work with a team of translators. Which I think is great !
I sent my application yesterday and im
... See more
Hello,

I'm brand new in the translation industry and I'm affraid of scams. Real scams.
I understand that once in a while, you're not being paid. But being robbed is quite another thing.
Now, I'm a little bit confused about the informations a client asks me.
I may be paranoid and ridiculous though.

So, it's for a long job (5 - 6 months) and require to work with a team of translators. Which I think is great !
I sent my application yesterday and immediately, like within 5 secondes, received a mail asking me to send back a non disclosure agreement (why not ?) and another document asking me my bank account name, Swift code, my bank account number, everything... And I need to sign in the bottom right of the document.

I don't have any confirmation I will get this job. The agency is noted 5 in Blue Board. I should feel safe.
But I don't like the idea of giving them all these details before I actually get the job.

Maybe I'm paranoid.
Please, I would like to have you opinion.
Thanks
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Account information Apr 14, 2016

Welcome to the industry!

Submitting all your sensitive information without even knowing that you'll get the job isn't very safe, unless you have thoroughly checked your future customer. You could send them an email to inform them that your first invoice will include all bank data.

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
It's a scam Apr 14, 2016

Don't send it! Agencies don't give brand new translators five-month assignments, and anyone can hijack a business name.

Have you tried phoning the actual agency listed in the BlueBoard at a confirmed phone number?

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 04:16
Chinese to English
+ ...
Why does it matter? Apr 14, 2016

If giving out bank account information is enough for them to rob you, why can't they just give you the job, THEN rob you?

Evelyne Targe
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
bank informations. What for ? Apr 14, 2016

Thanks for your answer Thayenga. That's usually the way I go : first I get the job done then I send it back with the invoice and bank accounts.

Lincoln Hui, indeed, I could get robbed after having done the job also if I supply all the elements. Indeed, you usually need to sign a direct debit autorisation so they can withdrawn the money. I've worked in a bank though, and I know that this autorisation is not always needed if you see what I mean...

I'm concerned because it
... See more
Thanks for your answer Thayenga. That's usually the way I go : first I get the job done then I send it back with the invoice and bank accounts.

Lincoln Hui, indeed, I could get robbed after having done the job also if I supply all the elements. Indeed, you usually need to sign a direct debit autorisation so they can withdrawn the money. I've worked in a bank though, and I know that this autorisation is not always needed if you see what I mean...

I'm concerned because it seems like anyone who dares to apply for this job has to send back the non disclosure agreement - which is fine whith me - but also bank account informations. So, even if you're not hired, they have all these datas. What for ? Sorry, but i'm concerned.

I will propose to be paied via paypal. If they do't agree then too bad. I'd like to work for them for a long and interesting project but I don't feel it that way...
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Avoid Apr 14, 2016

Evelyne Targe wrote:

I will propose to be paid via paypal. If they do't agree then too bad. I'd like to work for them for a long and interesting project but I don't feel it that way...

Do bear in mind that not all companies are set up to pay via PayPal — though i am finding that increasing numbers are, which is good news!

I certianly wouldn't give out bank details in advance — but you could always ask them why? Very often, it's just for their convenience, so they can complete your record on their database, and if they are an honest company, they'll probably say "Oh don't worry, it's not essential at this stage, you can give them to us later..."

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Your concerns are reasonable. Apr 14, 2016

When an agency asks for this, or if it's in their "forms to be filled out", I just fill out other details, and tell them that I will provide my bank account details on my first invoice to them, and once I do, they will have it on their records. And I tell them that's my standard procedure. It usually works fine, however, agencies that have that many forms to fill out usually never send you any job (ie. bank account details will not be needed).

I also find it very invasive asking for
... See more
When an agency asks for this, or if it's in their "forms to be filled out", I just fill out other details, and tell them that I will provide my bank account details on my first invoice to them, and once I do, they will have it on their records. And I tell them that's my standard procedure. It usually works fine, however, agencies that have that many forms to fill out usually never send you any job (ie. bank account details will not be needed).

I also find it very invasive asking for bank account information before any actual project.
Collapse

Evelyne Targe
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
bank informations but I'm not hired yet Apr 14, 2016

Thanks Tony M.

They're insisting to have it because they need these informations to prepare the bank papers.
Though they didn't firmly announced they hire me for this 6 months long job.

[Edited at 2016-04-14 16:00 GMT]

Evelyne Targe
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I won't send anything yet Apr 14, 2016

Thanks Lingua 5B.
I answered back that for the moment I won't send it back until they firmly annouce that I actually get this job.
I argued that my procedure is to give the bank account details with the invoice.
I think I will move on now !
Thanks to everyone who answered me back.
Have a nice day !

[Edited at 2016-04-14 08:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-14 08:10 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Pardon? Apr 14, 2016

Evelyne Targe wrote:

Thanks Tony M.

They're insisting to have it because they need these informations to prepare the bank pepare.

What kind of excuse is this? IF they insist, then you might as well go ahead and ask for full payment...even though they may not give you any work.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:16
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Their explanation doesn't make sense Apr 14, 2016

Evelyne Targe wrote:

They're insisting to have it because they need these informations to prepare the bank papers.
Though they didn't firmly announced they hire me for this 6 months long job.

If there are indeed some bank papers to prepare, why would they do that until they contracted you for a job? Seems like a total waste of time and effort. Which makes even less sense, if they say they do it in advance for the sake of efficiency.
Something is not right there.

Katalin

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:16
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Verified? Apr 14, 2016

Evelyne Targe wrote:
I don't have any confirmation I will get this job. The agency is noted 5 in Blue Board. I should feel safe.

Plenty of people have lost money on agencies that appeared okay on the Blue Board. It's a low hurdle to clear. Can you be sure that the people to whom you're talking actually belong to that agency? Where is this agency based, by the way?

Dan

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 23:16
English to Russian
Note: Your title should summarize your main point. Apr 14, 2016

There are a lot of individuals and businesses who specify their bank details on their websites and on company letterhead. If your bank is good, nobody can rob you by knowing your account number. SWIFT code is public information.

Evelyne Targe
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
verification Apr 14, 2016

Thayenga, it would be so funny if I asked them to be me in advance ! Ah ah !
The mail is really from an agency which is well noted on blue board.
I'll have to check more though...

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
What I do Apr 14, 2016

Maybe already mentioned, but any (first) client finds my bank account + other data on my first invoice, So, first a job, then my bank account.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bank account details before getting a job

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »