Thread poster: finnword1
finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 15:56
English to Finnish
+ ...
Feb 1, 2015

Someone asked me to translate a 4 year old article "Drug Abuse and Addiction" (12,413 words). Does it sound familiar to anyone?

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:56
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please submit a support request and supply more information Feb 2, 2015

Dear finnword1,

Could you please submit a support request and paste the email exchange you had with the client who contacted you? That will help me look into this. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:56
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Might be the same Feb 2, 2015

Something rings a bell in this to me. A year earlier, o maybe even more than that, I received something smilar if not the same.
I replied very politely, told what my rate was and asked payment in advance.
No news to this day.

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 15:56
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it was a scam Feb 2, 2015

The individual requesting the translation sent me the article. I asked who the author was and what the translation is for (plus some other pertinent questions). He did not reply. I took a small portion of the text and pasted it on Google. Sure enough, I found it on the web, including the name and email address of the author. I contacted her who knew nothing about her writing being translated into Finnish. Besides any rights to do so would belong to her publisher. An overpayment scam, no doubt.

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 21:56
English to Polish
+ ...
and the most frequent one these years Feb 6, 2015

as everybody here may confirm

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:56
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
A solid three-step program Feb 7, 2015

This 3-step program will protect you from most scams:
  1. When contacted by an unknown entity with a business proposal you should first ask yourself if this deserves further evaluation, otherwise delete immediately.

2. If you move beyond that point, the next step is getting verifiable contact information and verify it. If you can't be sure of the other part's identity (especially if the urgency of the matter makes identification impossible) then delete immediately. ... See more
This 3-step program will protect you from most scams:
  1. When contacted by an unknown entity with a business proposal you should first ask yourself if this deserves further evaluation, otherwise delete immediately.

2. If you move beyond that point, the next step is getting verifiable contact information and verify it. If you can't be sure of the other part's identity (especially if the urgency of the matter makes identification impossible) then delete immediately.

3. Once you get confirmed ID of the contact, you should verify creditworthiness in the BlueBoard and other similar tools.

Learn more about scams in our scam alert center.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Requested to translate an article titled "Drug Abuse and Addiction"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »