Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 00:46
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 29, 2014

Below is the messgae I received via the ProZ.com e-mail system from a non-logged in visitor; funny, I thought I was having my mails vetted? [No — although I thought I had set vetting 'on', for some reason it seems to have turned itself off again; I have now turned it back on!]

Classic scam, can spot it a mile off: inappropriate tone, appalling EN — and although 'he' claims to be in the UK, the IP address puts him somewhere on an ISP based in Lagos, Nigeria.

"-------
... See more
Below is the messgae I received via the ProZ.com e-mail system from a non-logged in visitor; funny, I thought I was having my mails vetted? [No — although I thought I had set vetting 'on', for some reason it seems to have turned itself off again; I have now turned it back on!]

Classic scam, can spot it a mile off: inappropriate tone, appalling EN — and although 'he' claims to be in the UK, the IP address puts him somewhere on an ISP based in Lagos, Nigeria.

"-----------
Vous avez reçu un message via ProZ.com.
Auteur: John drummond [NOTE : l'auteur n'est pas un membre de ProZ.com ou n'était pas identifié lors de l'envoi de ce message.]
Adresse IP de l'auteur: 197.242.101.66
Type de message: Job-related
-----------

Good day,
This is John drummond from the UK ,I actually write to let
you know that i would be coming for a 3 day's programme in
Paris which should be on the 28th of December through 31st
of December ,It would consist of 40 - 80 distinguish
personality from around the world ,Let me know if you would
be available and calculate your fee and transportation for
the 3 day's ,Hope to Hear from you soon . John care's

Beware and stay safe, folks!

[Modifié le 2014-11-29 17:09 GMT]
Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:46
French to Spanish
+ ...
Incredible Nov 29, 2014

John care's

Beware and stay safe, folks!

[Modifié le 2014-11-29 17:09 GMT]

LOL

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scams, jokes and ... socks. Nov 29, 2014

Scams are like jokes - they get better with the telling. There's always someone around who hasn't heard them yet and will enjoy a good laugh.

Old scams also have something in common with yesterday's socks, cast off in haste and now lurking out of sight under the bed. You can smell them a mile off

[Edited at 2014-11-29 22:25 GMT]

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:46
English to Dutch
+ ...
I once responded Nov 30, 2014

to a mail like this. Received a message two days before the actual event saying that the organizer had tragically been killed in a car accident and the whole thing was called off. I had already received a check, but -- wisely -- hadn't deposited it. I was asked to keep 10% and wire the rest of the money back. Instead I offered to send the uncashed check back. Never heard from them again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New message, old scam

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »