John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:26
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 10, 2014

A scam I haven't seen before arrived in my inbox this morning. A company claiming to be the domain name registration center in Shanghai, China, tells me they have received an application from a Chinese company to register my domain name with the .cn extension. They say they want to check with me to confirm that this company is my Chinese distributor or business partner.

Sounded fair enough and I was about to reply to tell them I know nothing about this company when my better sen
... See more
A scam I haven't seen before arrived in my inbox this morning. A company claiming to be the domain name registration center in Shanghai, China, tells me they have received an application from a Chinese company to register my domain name with the .cn extension. They say they want to check with me to confirm that this company is my Chinese distributor or business partner.

Sounded fair enough and I was about to reply to tell them I know nothing about this company when my better sense told me to hold off and google it. Turns out its yet another form of scam - if I had replied I would get phone calls and pressure from them to register .cn for my domain and pay for (non-existent) brand protection.

More information on this scam is here.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:26
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A translator's best friend Nov 10, 2014

Hi John,

good thing your best "friend" common sense warned you!

Registering non-existent domain names is not really a rare form of scam, but it's "destinct". A colleague of my - by now fully retired! - didn't google it when this type of email arrived in her inbox. She replied that she had no intention of registering any domain name anywhere, and was molested via phone and email by that persistent scammer. Since, at that time, she was getting ready to retire, she simply
... See more
Hi John,

good thing your best "friend" common sense warned you!

Registering non-existent domain names is not really a rare form of scam, but it's "destinct". A colleague of my - by now fully retired! - didn't google it when this type of email arrived in her inbox. She replied that she had no intention of registering any domain name anywhere, and was molested via phone and email by that persistent scammer. Since, at that time, she was getting ready to retire, she simply changed her email address. Caller identification kept her from answering the phone.

Usually it's best to delete such emails, but sometimers some extra smart scammer considers a no-reply as approval.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:26
Danish to English
+ ...
Domain scams Nov 10, 2014

It's a good idea to use Whois privacy to hide your personal information from the Whois register of domains.

Another scam is to look up domains you own and which will expire soon, then ask you to pay the scammer for renewal, whereas only your existing registrar is entitled to renewal payment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Supposed China registrar warning

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »