Italy
Local time: 21:02
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 4, 2013

Good morning to you all!!
I've just received this e-mail, that looks suspiciously like a scam job:

Hello,

My name is Erin Murphy, I have a son who study in Teramo, Italy, I hereby inquire your service as a translator for his project titled (HUMAN TRAFFICKING) worth 15,020 words to be translated from English > Italian with the fixed deadline date (31/10/2013),

Kindly get back to me if you will be available within the time frame and possibly your pric
... See more
Good morning to you all!!
I've just received this e-mail, that looks suspiciously like a scam job:

Hello,

My name is Erin Murphy, I have a son who study in Teramo, Italy, I hereby inquire your service as a translator for his project titled (HUMAN TRAFFICKING) worth 15,020 words to be translated from English > Italian with the fixed deadline date (31/10/2013),

Kindly get back to me if you will be available within the time frame and possibly your price per source word while i send you a copy of the text document.

I will be waiting to read from you asap.

Regards,

the e-mail had no object, it was followed by some contact info, but checking the telephone number I've found out that is located in NY, while the address was in MA.

What do you think? I haven't replied yet, and I don't think I will.

Kind Regards,
Sheila
Collapse

Signe Golly
Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Scam Sep 4, 2013

Almost certainly a scam: The person's name is "too common" - i.e. untraceable - the subject is a bit "touchy-feely" (human interest, humanitarian effort, medical, prevent drug abuse, etc.), deadline is too generous, she'll agree to any rate quoted and contact information is incorrect, grammatical errors and I'd be willing to bet that the ISP is not in an English-speaking country.
If you were to proceed, you would most likely find that she "accidentally" overpays you by some ridiculous amou
... See more
Almost certainly a scam: The person's name is "too common" - i.e. untraceable - the subject is a bit "touchy-feely" (human interest, humanitarian effort, medical, prevent drug abuse, etc.), deadline is too generous, she'll agree to any rate quoted and contact information is incorrect, grammatical errors and I'd be willing to bet that the ISP is not in an English-speaking country.
If you were to proceed, you would most likely find that she "accidentally" overpays you by some ridiculous amount and then asks you to wire back the extra money.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
100% scam Sep 4, 2013

Just make a search of this forum for "human trafficking":

http://www.proz.com/topic/200642
and many more

Natalia

Sheila Rivaben
Sheila Rivaben  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scammer...scammer Sep 4, 2013

Thanks, Golly, this is what I thought too...

By checking the other scams posted on PROZ, this time the scammer went a little bit forward, and related the request to a need of his/her son, trying to make it more legitimate...

Oh well, I guess you always have to be 150% careful about everything!!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Signed, sealed and deliver: 100% SCAM Sep 4, 2013

Among all other indications there is one piece of information that screams out: 100% SCAM guaranteed, and that is the mentioning of any family/private issues.

Just give this email a gentle push towards File 13.

[Edited at 2013-09-04 23:25 GMT]

Jena Writer
Jena Writer
English to German
+ ...
I got an email for the EXACT SAME THING... Sep 9, 2013

I did a bit of research and it certainly looks like fraud. Now that I see that it has targeted me but also other translators with the exact same information, I think I'll give it a pass.

Thank heavens!

Best regards,
J.H.K.

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
Erin Murphy's scam Sep 17, 2013

Hi,

I got a similar translation request from "Erin Murphy" in the USA..Can anybody confirm the scam? Here are the messages:

-------------------------------
Hello,

My name is Erin Murphy, I have a son who study in Angers, France, I hereby inquire your service as a translator for his project titled (HUMAN TRAFFICKING) worth 15,020 words to be translated from English > French with the fixed deadline date (31/10/2013),

Kindly get back to me
... See more
Hi,

I got a similar translation request from "Erin Murphy" in the USA..Can anybody confirm the scam? Here are the messages:

-------------------------------
Hello,

My name is Erin Murphy, I have a son who study in Angers, France, I hereby inquire your service as a translator for his project titled (HUMAN TRAFFICKING) worth 15,020 words to be translated from English > French with the fixed deadline date (31/10/2013),

Kindly get back to me if you will be available within the time frame and possibly your price per source word while i send you a copy of the text document.

Regards,

Erin MURPHY
7 Mohawk Trail
Littleton, MA 01460, USA

Email: [email protected]
Tel: (845) 746-2320
-------------

Another message from him:

Hello Alexandre,

How are you doing? I hope you find the document interesting, also I wish to know how far you have proceeded with the translation of the document.

I am very sorry concerning the delay i might have caused you concerning the payment. Actually, I have been busy working out things on how the seminar in which the article you are translating will be needed for. I want to let you know that the check has been mailed out to your address below by the sponsor so be watchful. Please confirm the address if it's correct.

Name on the check: My name

Alexandre Chetrite

My address

However, there is additional amount on the check, he issue more than the price you quoted, according to him he issued (3750), so what you are going to do for me when you receive the check is that you get it deposit for instant cash at your bank and when your account is credited then I will give further instruction because I will be having another document to be translated soon which is yet to be released by the supervisor. So the remaining money will be for the translation of the second document which will released to you immediately it gain its approval.

Am sorry the stress this might have cause, awaits your mail soonest.

Have a wonderful day ahead.

Best Regards,

From the desk of;

Erin MURPHY
7 Mohawk Trail
Littleton, MA 01460, USA

Collapse

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:02
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's a scam Sep 17, 2013

Hello Alexandre,

I confirm that that offer is an overpayment scam: http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/#advance_payment_overpayment_scam . I advise you to cut contact with this person, and not to cash the checks if you receive them.

I will send out an alert to the community about this scam. Could you please state wha
... See more
Hello Alexandre,

I confirm that that offer is an overpayment scam: http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/#advance_payment_overpayment_scam . I advise you to cut contact with this person, and not to cash the checks if you receive them.

I will send out an alert to the community about this scam. Could you please state what was the email address used by this person (if it is not the email address included in her signature)? Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
Erin Murphy and George Blowers Sep 18, 2013

Hi,

A certain "George Blowers" also in involved in this scam along with "Erin Murphy"...The e-mail addres is [email protected]

I received this on Septembre 15th too:

-------------------------
Hi there, Your service is needed as a translator of an article, The document word count is 20,826 word and to be translated from ENG > FR within the fixed deadline date (30/10
... See more
Hi,

A certain "George Blowers" also in involved in this scam along with "Erin Murphy"...The e-mail addres is [email protected]

I received this on Septembre 15th too:

-------------------------
Hi there, Your service is needed as a translator of an article, The document word count is 20,826 word and to be translated from ENG > FR within the fixed deadline date (30/10/2013). Below are the details about the document

* Subject: CONFLICT MANAGEMENT

* Source Language: ENGLISH

* Target Language: FRENCH

* Deadline Date: 30th October, 2013

* Total word count: 16,826

* Pages: 52

* Characters ( no Spaces): 91,421

* Character (with space): 107,289

* Paragraph: 187

* Lines: 1,713

Please confirm to me on your availability for this project including the following:

* Your price rate per source word

I await your response then i can supply you with more detail.

Best Regards,

From the desk of;

MARVINS JOHNSON

Collapse

Marika mandala75
Marika mandala75
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Same story for me too Sep 18, 2013

Dear all
I have just received the same email from Erin Murphy with the exact same requirements.
She requested translation from Italian to English and offered 3000 US $ for a 15.000 words text.
At that point I think the scam was quite evident...
I wish the rates were that high!!

Thanks to everybody fo rthe contribution

Marika

arfernandez
arfernandez

Spanish to Indonesian
+ ...
Also I received same email (In this case the "son" is studying in Valladolid). Sep 20, 2013

Hello there, I received almost the same message:

My name is Erin Murphy, I have a son who study in Valladolid, SPAIN, I hereby inquire your service as a translator for his project titled (HUMAN TRAFFICKING) worth 15,020 words to be translated from English > Spanish with the fixed deadline date (31/10/2013),

... See more
Hello there, I received almost the same message:

My name is Erin Murphy, I have a son who study in Valladolid, SPAIN, I hereby inquire your service as a translator for his project titled (HUMAN TRAFFICKING) worth 15,020 words to be translated from English > Spanish with the fixed deadline date (31/10/2013),

Regards,

Erin MURPHY
7 Mohawk Trail
Littleton, MA 01460, USA

After sending me the same file about Human Traficking, I sent them my P.O Box adress. In just 3 days they sent to my Mother's house snail mailbox a check from HSBC, with the ammount of 3420 British Pounds.
Is clearly an SCAM.

(I'll put the check as a souvenir poster on the wall, because is the first time that an scamer send me "money" instead to ask me to send money, hahahahaha).

Is better to make a little research on Google before accept this kind of jobs: I guess this scamers want to "clean" money by having innocent people transfering suspicious earnings to their European bank accounts.

All the best

Alejandro
Collapse

iTtranslations-
iTtranslations-
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scam translation project titled HUMAN TRAFFICKING Sep 22, 2013

Hello to everyone,

I have also received this Scam translation project, I am a freelance translator living in Spain registered at Guru.com as well as in Translatorbase.com.

I received this first offer Sept. 07th requesting the translation of the project from English to Spanish and must admit that I was about to send all the requested info but wasn´t too sure giving out my address so I started researching a bit and found out it is a Scam.

Hope all these Pos
... See more
Hello to everyone,

I have also received this Scam translation project, I am a freelance translator living in Spain registered at Guru.com as well as in Translatorbase.com.

I received this first offer Sept. 07th requesting the translation of the project from English to Spanish and must admit that I was about to send all the requested info but wasn´t too sure giving out my address so I started researching a bit and found out it is a Scam.

Hope all these Posts help to stop these Scams.

Here below are the emails recieved starting at most rescent to the first one:

Translation English to Spanish‏

Acciones
Erin MURPHY ([email protected])Agregar a contactos 20/09/2013
Para: Yassmine Zeferino
Imagen de Erin MURPHY
De: Erin MURPHY ([email protected])
Enviado: viernes, 20 de septiembre de 2013 11:49:11 p.m.
Para: Yassmine Zeferino ([email protected])
Hello Yassmine,

Thank you for getting back to me and accepting the document, the price is affordable for me, I will like to make the 50% part payment for the translation immediately. You can get back to with the details listed below for the 50% initial payment by check which will include your translation charges and the check handling fee while the remaining 50% will be paid immediately you finish the translation.

Full Name to be written on the check
Address where the payment would be sent to
Personal Phone Number, so i can mail you the check immediately i receive your details.

I will be glad to have the details as soon as you get this mail.

Best Regards,

From the desk of;

Erin MURPHY
7 Mohawk Trail
Littleton, MA 01460, USA

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yassmine Zeferino 20/09/2013
Para: Erin Murphy
Imagen de Yassmine Zeferino
De: Yassmine Zeferino ([email protected])
Enviado: viernes, 20 de septiembre de 2013 05:59:13 p.m.
Para: Erin Murphy ([email protected])
Hi Erin,

Have checked with my bank and it's fine nevertheless I propose the following, if you accept my final quote then I will send you half of the translation upon bank confirmation of your first euro cheque and the other half upon reception and confirmation of the second euro cheque payment.

My best quote for 15028 words from English to Spanish castillian is 700€ net no bank comission or other banking expenses included, these are on your behalf.

Deadline would be as requested maximum October 10th 2013.

Looking forward to your prompt response.

Yass

Yassmine Othman-Bentria Zeferino
+ 34 609274697
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yassmine ZeferinoDatos adjuntos 19/09/2013 Documentos
Para: [email protected]
Enviado: jueves, 19 de septiembre de 2013 09:10:24 a.m.
Para: [email protected]

1 dato adjunto (54.0 kB)
Descargar HUMAN TRAFFICKING.docx (53.8 kB)
HUMAN TRAFFICKING.docxVer en línea
Descargar como zip
De: Erin Murphy
Fecha: 9 de septiembre de 2013 11:52:08 GMT+02:00
Asunto: Re: Translation English to Spanish

Erin MURPHY ([email protected])Agregar a contactos 18/09/2013
Imagen de Erin MURPHY
Enviado: miércoles, 18 de septiembre de 2013 02:13:08 p.m.
OK

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yassmine Zeferino 18/09/2013
Para: Erin MURPHY
Enviado: miércoles, 18 de septiembre de 2013 02:12:42 p.m.
Para: Erin MURPHY ([email protected])
Hello again Erin,

Let me check with my bank and I'll get back to you tomorrow morning if it's ok with you.

Regards,

Yass

+ 34 609274697
[email protected]

Erin MURPHY ([email protected])Agregar a contactos 18/09/2013
Imagen de Erin MURPHY
Enviado: miércoles, 18 de septiembre de 2013 01:59:11 p.m.
Hello Yassmine,

Am sorry, I can only make payment for the translation of the document by a EU bank check.

Please get back to me if that's OK by you.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

From the desk of;

Erin MURPHY
7 Mohawk Trail
Littleton, MA 01460, USA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yassmine Zeferino 18/09/2013
Enviado: miércoles, 18 de septiembre de 2013 12:53:55 p.m.
Hello Erin,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I had an accident and am much better now...I'll read all the article that you have attached and get back to you before tomorrow with my final quote.

Regarding the payment method you have proposed I would like for you to consider bank transfer as payment instead of euro cheque.

Deadline requested by you will be respected.

Regards,

Yass

+ 34 609274697
[email protected]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Erin Murphy ([email protected])Agregar a contactosDatos adjuntos 09/09/2013 Documentos
Imagen de Erin Murphy
De: Erin Murphy ([email protected])
Enviado: lunes, 09 de septiembre de 2013 09:52:10 a.m.
Para:

HelloYass,

Thanks for your response, I got your contact on a translators forum during my search for a translator and i decided to contact you if you will be able to handle the translation of my son's project, find attached with the email is the article i want you to work on, I will like you to go through the document and get back to me with your total asking price for the translation of the article...

The article is based on delineating the child labour and human trafficking that form the basis for a democratic society. I want the translated article submitted on or before the deadline date (31/10/2013) stipulated in my first mail.

However, I wish to inform you that half of the total asking price for the translation of the article will be paid for via a (Euro) bank check which will include your translation charges and the bank handling fee and I will like you to get back to me if you are OK with the payment method.

I wish to have your reply soon if you are interested in handling the translation of the document.

Regards,

Erin MURPHY
7 Mohawk Trail
Littleton, MA 01460, USA

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Enviado: sábado, 07 de septiembre de 2013 09:20:04 a.m.

Hi Erin,

Excuse my delay just saw the email, our best quote for approximately 15020 words from English to Spanish would be 750 euros and the time frame October 10th is fine.

Hope this quote suits you, look forward to your prompt response.

Regards,

Yass

+ 34 609274697
[email protected]

El 07/09/2013, a las 01:52, "Erin Murphy" escribió:

--
Hello,

Regards,

Erin MURPHY
7 Mohawk Trail
Littleton, MA 01460, USA
Collapse

arfernandez
arfernandez

Spanish to Indonesian
+ ...
Second email from Erin Murphy Sep 23, 2013

Ladies and Gentleman, here is the second email from Erin Murphy.
Of course I din't reply to her message, but I decided to copy and paste the text in this forum since I guess is an excellent explanation about how this scam works.

Hello ALEJANDRO,

How are you doing? I hope you find the document interesting, also I wish to know how far you have proceeded with the translation of the document.

I am very sorry concerning the delay i might have c
... See more
Ladies and Gentleman, here is the second email from Erin Murphy.
Of course I din't reply to her message, but I decided to copy and paste the text in this forum since I guess is an excellent explanation about how this scam works.

Hello ALEJANDRO,

I am very sorry concerning the delay i might have caused you concerning the payment. Actually, I have been busy working out things on how the seminar in which the article you are translating will be needed for. I want to let you know that the check has been mailed out to your address below by the sponsor so be watchful. Please confirm the address if it's correct.

Name on the check: ALEJANDRO REMESEIRO FERNANDEZ

ALEJANDRO REMESEIRO FERNANDEZ
Address: XXXX XXXXXX XX XXXXXXX
28032. Madrid (SPAIN)

However, there is additional amount on the check, he issue more than the price you quoted, according to him he issued (3400), so what you are going to do for me when you receive the check is that you get it deposit for instant cash at your bank and when your account is credited then I will give further instruction because I will be having another document to be translated soon which is yet to be released by the supervisor. So the remaining money will be for the translation of the second document which will released to you immediately it gain its approval.

Am sorry the stress this might have cause, awaits your mail soonest.

Have a wonderful day ahead.

Best Regards,

From the desk of;

Erin MURPHY

So for all those people that are asking "And what if you cash in this check on your bank?"
the answer is pretty clear in the third paragraph of the email below.
Hope this will help people not to trust in this kind of people and avoid to be victims of scam.

All the best

Alejandro
Collapse

Yoann Peyron
Yoann Peyron  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Human traficking scam Oct 30, 2013

Hi guys !

I am a French freelance translator and I got contacted in mid-September by Erin Murphy, who had a so-called son in Angers, France, and he wanted me to translate a document on human trafficking / adoption for him.

I received a cheque of 4,100 GBP from the sponsor of some seminar where the document was to be used. So I sent the cheque to my bank, it returned as a fraudulent cheque, and I had to pay the fees to the bank: 117 EUR.

Can't believe it. B
... See more
Hi guys !

I am a French freelance translator and I got contacted in mid-September by Erin Murphy, who had a so-called son in Angers, France, and he wanted me to translate a document on human trafficking / adoption for him.

I received a cheque of 4,100 GBP from the sponsor of some seminar where the document was to be used. So I sent the cheque to my bank, it returned as a fraudulent cheque, and I had to pay the fees to the bank: 117 EUR.

Can't believe it. By tracing the IP address, I apparently located him in Nigeria...

I don't know what we can do against this kind of fraud! Does anyone know?

Regards to all,

Yoann Peyron
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam job received through e-mail

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »