Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:21
English to Hebrew
+ ...
May 29, 2013

Hello,
Recently I became aware to a possible new advanced payment scam that is going on. The sender starts the email by "Greetings" and then tells the story of him needing couple of documents to be translated for a presentation he is suppose to hold to natives speakers of the target language. The dates, volume, and the name of the person and company varies, but the basic wording remains unchanged. There are also some mistakes in the email (both in language and details of the required proje
... See more
Hello,
Recently I became aware to a possible new advanced payment scam that is going on. The sender starts the email by "Greetings" and then tells the story of him needing couple of documents to be translated for a presentation he is suppose to hold to natives speakers of the target language. The dates, volume, and the name of the person and company varies, but the basic wording remains unchanged. There are also some mistakes in the email (both in language and details of the required project).
They also insist on paying only by Check and, of course, use easy to spot (alerting) excuses in an attempt to justify why they can only pay by Check.

The two emails that I've came across are:

Greetings!

I'm Nigel Jennett, based in Warren,Michigan state in the U.S.A.I'll be
making a presentation to some groups of Hebrew speaking people in Tel
Aviv,Israel on the 12th of July,2013.However,i will need you to help
me translate some documents from English to Hebrew,so each of my
audience can have a copy in their local language and they can follow
through.The deadline for the delivery of translations is July
9,2013.Please,let me have an estimate for the documents(see
attached).I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best Regards,
Nigel

Greetings!

We Are AL Taylor Baldwin llc from United State .we are looking for Translation Agent However,We will need your service to translate some documents for our company. we need to make a presentation to some groups of Hebrew speaking people in United State on 30th of June,2013. we will need you to help Us to translate the papers from English to Hebrew,so each of Our audience can have a copy in Portugese language and they can follow through.I will also need that the work be delivered by/before
Jun 310th,2013.Please,let me know your rate(euro) for a total of about 5,500 words presentation
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Regards

Taylor
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:21
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Scam for sure/Not new May 29, 2013

The first time I receiveid an email like that was in 2005 or 2006, the presentation was requested in my pair, but , exactly the same pattern.

Stay safe!

[Edited at 2013-05-29 11:10 GMT]

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
old hat May 29, 2013

This one's been cropping up for a number of years now and the format of the e-mail remains largely unchanged.

It has all the hallmarks of a scam and if it isn't, I will gladly eat a hat.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It's almost an antique one. :) May 29, 2013

Shai Nave wrote:

Greetings!

I'm Nigel Jennett, based in Warren,Michigan state in the U.S.A.I'll be..

I've heard of Washington State, but never of Michigan State. Or is this an abbreviation of the Michigan State University?

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:21
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No need for any hat eating :) May 29, 2013

Thank you all.
I had no doubt that this is a scam, I only used the word possible because until one is actually scammed I guess that you can never truly know for certain.

I'm aware that it is an old scam, but it seems that this particular scammer is currently very active, so I've thought that it won't do any harm to "refresh" everyone's mind, just to be on the safe side.

Oh, and although it won't come as a surprise, this scammer uses Gmail and therefore it is impos
... See more
Thank you all.
I had no doubt that this is a scam, I only used the word possible because until one is actually scammed I guess that you can never truly know for certain.

I'm aware that it is an old scam, but it seems that this particular scammer is currently very active, so I've thought that it won't do any harm to "refresh" everyone's mind, just to be on the safe side.

Oh, and although it won't come as a surprise, this scammer uses Gmail and therefore it is impossible to track the origin of this scam (or at least the originating email server).

Stay vigilant and safe.
Collapse

Martine Pilon
Martine Pilon
Local time: 07:21
English to French
+ ...
Possible scam Jul 29, 2015

I received the same type of request last month, from one who calls himself Isaac Jones. Same wording, possibly the same document (over 5000 words). After checking on the Internet, I realized the same text had been sent by this Isaac Jones to a few translators from the ProZ community in December 2012 or 2013. It later proved to be fraud.

Cristina Enriet
Cristina Enriet
Canada
Italian to English
+ ...
Me too, twice the same text! Jul 29, 2015

And the same procedure:

1. He asked for estimate on a 16 page article about terrorism.

2. He sent me a money order for more than twice the amount I quoted.

3. Then he called me: "My accountant made a mistake, pay me back the balance!"

I did not pay him the balance at all, but the first time I tried to deposit the money order, and when it turned out to be a fake I was charged $5.00 by my bank. The second time the guy called me (number blocked),
... See more
And the same procedure:

1. He asked for estimate on a 16 page article about terrorism.

2. He sent me a money order for more than twice the amount I quoted.

3. Then he called me: "My accountant made a mistake, pay me back the balance!"

I did not pay him the balance at all, but the first time I tried to deposit the money order, and when it turned out to be a fake I was charged $5.00 by my bank. The second time the guy called me (number blocked), at first I told him to send me his address, for me to send him back his money order (fat chance!), then I called him an idiot, and advised him to keep track of the people he is trying to fool.

Be careful!
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:21
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
A classic advance payment scam Jul 30, 2015

Hi friends,

This is a classic example of advance payment scam, so classic that the words "so each participants can have a copy" are included as example in our scam alert center. Having a look at this page and to the related wiki can save you some trouble in the future.
... See more
Hi friends,

This is a classic example of advance payment scam, so classic that the words "so each participants can have a copy" are included as example in our scam alert center. Having a look at this page and to the related wiki can save you some trouble in the future.

ProZ.com members can subscribe to the scam alert center notifications.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another dead giveaway is that... Jul 30, 2015

... "real" private customers generally do not know that translation is billed "by the word" and will instead inform you that the document consists of "10 pages", etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible New Advanced payment scam

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »