I submitted a bug report. Nothing has been done to eliminate the bug.
Thread poster: Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2023

Preamble: I drafted this as a contribution to this thread https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/364189-complaint_about_prozcom_support.html
However, after Henry post his dismissal of the OP's complaint, the thread was locked.

Henry wrote in the thread linked above :
In the past 7 days, our five full-time support people have responded to 350 tickets, closing a little over 40% in 8 hours or less (no matter what time they come in), and about 90% within two days.

Henry, if you're going to throw statistics at us, the least we can expect is that you define your terms clearly, accurately and unambiguously. Terms and their definitions in context are, after all, the bread 'n' butter of our profession, are they not?

Specifically, what does "closed" mean in the above statement?

To illustrate my point, I submitted a bug report ( https://www.proz.com/ticket/730625 ) on 5th March 2023. It was 'closed' by a member of your staff on 7th March 2023. On that basis, your handling of my bug report might be seen as supporting your assertion 'about 90% within two days'.

In fact, the only action taken by your colleague was to 'refer this issue to be processed internally by site developers' - whereupon my ticket was 'closed'.

Today, over 7 months later, nothing has been done to eliminate the bug. Hence, in my book, the ticket has not been 'closed'. I suggest it would be more accurate to say that it has it has been dropped into an apparently bottomless pit of bugs, never again to see the light of day.
Geee! And I though Paris was bug-ridden!
-----
* Variously attributed to Benjamin Disraeli, Mark Twain, Arthur James Balfour and many others, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2023-10-18 02:44 GMT]

expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Guilty as charged Oct 18, 2023

Today, over 7 months later, nothing has been done to eliminate the bug. Hence, in my book, the ticket has not been 'closed'. I suggest it would be more accurate to say that it has it has been dropped into an apparently bottomless pit of bugs, never again to see the light of day.

You're right, Jennifer, the issue you reported (that some of the posts made to poll discussions do not appear in your personal list of posts) may have been put into the issue tracking system, and may not have been addressed yet. It is true that relatively low-impact bugs like this can go for a while, since they tend to get pushed behind higher priority items. We do our best to work through that, though, both for paying members (who we try to prioritize) and for site guests. I see that you have entered many other tickets, which have been addressed. Your reports are appreciated, it helps us make the site better.

expressisverbis

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Henry Oct 22, 2023

Note for the benefit of anyone visiting this thread for the first time:
My original topic heading was: Lies, damned lies and statistics*

OK, Henry. You’ve had your bit of fun.

You’ve edited my topic headline and replaced it with a cumbersome and repetitive headline that no longer relates to the main topic of my post, and also leaves my footnote reference to Wikipedia dangling in thin air.

As you are clearly aware, my topic was/is the misus
... See more
Note for the benefit of anyone visiting this thread for the first time:
My original topic heading was: Lies, damned lies and statistics*

OK, Henry. You’ve had your bit of fun.

You’ve edited my topic headline and replaced it with a cumbersome and repetitive headline that no longer relates to the main topic of my post, and also leaves my footnote reference to Wikipedia dangling in thin air.

As you are clearly aware, my topic was/is the misuse/abuse of statistics in your response to a colleague. By altering (nay, adulterating…) my “on-topic” headline you changed the focus of my entire post, and then sought to seduce me with a mea culpa relating to a minor bug that I had mentioned only to illustrate a significant flaw in your use of statistics.

In so doing, you have failed to answer my question: … what does "closed" mean in [the quoted extract from your response to a colleague]?

So, Henry. How do you plead now? Guilty as charged?

JL
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Metin Demirel

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:35
Member (2007)
English to German
Private statistics - "closed" is not "solved" Oct 25, 2023

I had a look at my 24 support requests from the last 15 years:

3 suggestions acknowledged and closed, all within 1-2 days
7 queries resolved and closed, within 1-4 days (Thank you, support staff!)
5 bugs reported:
- 3 resolved and closed within 1-2 days (quite impressive, too!)
- 1 (#1 below) reported in January 2023, closed within 2 days, not resolved yet. "...issue has already been referred to the site developers. Development, including adjustments and f
... See more
I had a look at my 24 support requests from the last 15 years:

3 suggestions acknowledged and closed, all within 1-2 days
7 queries resolved and closed, within 1-4 days (Thank you, support staff!)
5 bugs reported:
- 3 resolved and closed within 1-2 days (quite impressive, too!)
- 1 (#1 below) reported in January 2023, closed within 2 days, not resolved yet. "...issue has already been referred to the site developers. Development, including adjustments and fixing-ups, may take some time but I promise to notify you here as soon as this has been resolved and tested or as soon as I have any news."
- 1 (#2 below) reported first in 2015 (closed within 12 days), then 2016 (1 day), 2017 (6 days), 2019 (25 days), not resolved yet.
2015: "I will have this checked with our developers."
2016: "This issue has already been sent to be analysed and checked by site developers. Please note that development adjustments and fixing-ups may take some time."
2017: "I see that the issue has already been referred to the site developers. I've sent a follow up on the ticket. However please note that development, adjustments and fixing-ups may take some time. I'll be sure to let you know once I have any update on the matter."

Most of the times, the support staff closed the tickets directly with their first answer. Almost all statistics from above showing more than 2 days until closing mean that I had to re-open the ticket because the reply did not address my problem satisfactorily. But before I re-opened them, they also showed as "closed" within a short time. So in addition to the main problem addressed in this thread, i.e. that "closed" is not equal to "solved", the average time until tickets are closed will probably be somewhat longer if you look at the last 4 weeks, not just the last week.

(The two bugs still not fixed:
#1 - 9 months: The new search function fails to find a specific KudoZ thread which the old search function finds. (I have no idea how many other threads it cannot find, and I recommend a non-ProZ method to search for KudoZ threads until this is fixed)
#2 - 8 years: The "Field of expertise" filter on the Community rates page is non-functional. i.e. it does not filter. My last suggestion from 2019 to at least deactivate the function if it will not be fixed was also not implemented and I gave up for good.)

(I really think that a thread title that was changed by the ProZ.com staff should be marked as such.)
Collapse

Jennifer Levey
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Yvonne Gallagher

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 08:35
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I also join you... Oct 26, 2023

In 2020 notifications from Kudoz went crazy.
I don't get any kind of interaction on questions. If a colleague agrees with any of my suggestions I don't receive it, if there's someone on the discussion board who interacts with me, it happens the same thing and lately the terms asked have been arriving in my inbox very late. Also, the pages of the site load very slowly recently.
I contacted the support in 2020 and the issue improved for a while, but it's been like that until today. Oth
... See more
In 2020 notifications from Kudoz went crazy.
I don't get any kind of interaction on questions. If a colleague agrees with any of my suggestions I don't receive it, if there's someone on the discussion board who interacts with me, it happens the same thing and lately the terms asked have been arriving in my inbox very late. Also, the pages of the site load very slowly recently.
I contacted the support in 2020 and the issue improved for a while, but it's been like that until today. Other colleagues have the same problem too.
I sent more support requests after that and the last one is pending.
It's extremely frustrating and I eventually gave up asking the support staff for help.
Having said that and seeing so many issues that have been debated on the forums, as well as seeing colleagues unfairly treated and cancelling their subscription, my question is... what am I doing here? Paying for getting this?
Paying member or not, I think we should all be treated with respect and this doesn't seem to be what I've seen so far.

[Edited at 2023-10-26 08:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-10-26 08:45 GMT]
Collapse

Aurélien ARPAZ
Barbara Carrara
Jennifer Levey
ibz
Yvonne Gallagher

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:35
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Still no KudoZ notifications Oct 26, 2023

I am still not receiving notifications when I receive agrees/comments on KudoZ questions I have answered, or when they are closed.

expressisverbis
Alison MacG
Barbara Carrara
Jennifer Levey
Yvonne Gallagher

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
KudoZ notifications Oct 27, 2023

I get notifications on comments, likes etc. on my answers, and on _some_ discussion panel entries where I contributed to. The latter seem to be sent by random.
As far as I can see, the reason is not my KudoZ preferences ( https://www.proz.com/dashboard/kudoz/?sp_kudoz_mode=notifications ).

(I also get notifications on replies to my own threads in the fo
... See more
I get notifications on comments, likes etc. on my answers, and on _some_ discussion panel entries where I contributed to. The latter seem to be sent by random.
As far as I can see, the reason is not my KudoZ preferences ( https://www.proz.com/dashboard/kudoz/?sp_kudoz_mode=notifications ).

(I also get notifications on replies to my own threads in the forums and to those I subscribed to.)

Actually a strange behaviour of the system.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-10-27 08:56 GMT]
Collapse

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:35
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Site language became Arabic Feb 25

I don't know on which button to click to report this bug, because everything is in a language I don't know...

Sorry for the visual mess.I cannot even type properly, the keyboard functions the other way around.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
bottom right Feb 25

Metin Demirel wrote:

I don't know on which button to click to report this bug, because everything is in a language I don't know...

Sorry for the visual mess.I cannot even type properly, the keyboard functions the other way around.

At the very bottom of any page, on the right side there is an option to switch language (on pc).

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:35
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Thank you. Feb 25

Zea_Mays wrote:

Metin Demirel wrote:

At the very bottom of any page, on the right side there is an option to switch language (on pc).

Thank you very much!

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:35
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Update Feb 25

I am still not receiving notifications when I receive agrees/comments on KudoZ questions I have answered, or when they are closed.

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Alison MacG
Yvonne Gallagher

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I submitted a bug report. Nothing has been done to eliminate the bug.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »