Is there any way to cancel/opt out of the recurring payment for Proz membership?
Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Aug 25, 2017

I am debating whether or not to renew (now referred to as 'upgrade') my Proz membership. Since partial memberships as well as discounts for browniz were immediately eliminated the very moment the new "packages" were made public (so no grace period offered at all), I see I'll have to shell out nearly twice the amount as in previous years, for exactly the same thing.
Insult to injury, there is now a message that this is a 'recurring payment': This is a recurring payment. You'll be charge
... See more
I am debating whether or not to renew (now referred to as 'upgrade') my Proz membership. Since partial memberships as well as discounts for browniz were immediately eliminated the very moment the new "packages" were made public (so no grace period offered at all), I see I'll have to shell out nearly twice the amount as in previous years, for exactly the same thing.
Insult to injury, there is now a message that this is a 'recurring payment': This is a recurring payment. You'll be charged automatically on your renewal date, until you cancel.
So does this mean one has to cancel membership once a year in order to avoid having one's credit card automatically debited on an annual basis. Usually this is an option one can accept or decline. Is there anyway to get out of it without cancelling? And if not, then when does one have to cancel? What is the cancellation deadline for escaping automatic debit?
Thanks.
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 13:13
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Hello writeaway Aug 25, 2017

I managed to remove 'automatic renewal'-think this was how: go to manage your Proz.com membership, then Renewal Method: Manual (mine is switched to manual now) and Save, then it gives you the date by which you have to renew. Think that is how I did it. I did not like the automatic renewal either and seeing the latest changes, I doubt whether I will choose the Plus Package again. Good luck.

[Edited at 2017-08-25 14:44 GMT]

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
I do not remember the ability to "opt out" being mentioned when the changes were rolled out Aug 25, 2017

At any rate, I do not remember it being prominently mentioned.

And if such was indeed the case, this is definitely not good.

The good news is that what Josephine suggests is possible. I just did it. Thanks, Josephine.

I also plan to renew only with the basic membership.

I assume that I will receive prompts to do so as the expiration date of my current membership approaches.

[Edited at 2017-08-25 14:55 GMT]

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Josephine and Robert Aug 25, 2017

Can anyone confirm that the renewal method can be changed for people who have the 'ordinary' package too. That's what I'll take if I renew. I want to be sure the renewal method can be changed for all paying members and not just for those who go for the + package.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:13
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes! Aug 25, 2017

writeaway wrote:

Can anyone confirm that the renewal method can be changed for people who have the 'ordinary' package too.

Hello writeaway, I have the "ordinary" membership and sent immediately after the renewal a support ticket for the same problem. Here is the answer I got:

Please note that you may cancel recurring payment after the payment from your membership management page http://www.proz.com/manage-membership by pressing on the button “Cancel auto-renew”.

Therefore, your membership will not be renewed automatically next year.

That's what I did and it seemed to work.

Walter Moura
Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:13
English to Portuguese
On the day after Aug 25, 2017

Yes. I did exactly as Christel mentioned on the day after I renewed my subscription. I am very not pleased with automatic subscriptions of any kind. Now all I have to do is wait warning to renew in 2018, and decide whether or not.

Regards,

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Christel and Walter Aug 25, 2017

Now it's clear.

Thank you everyone!

Anna Lopes
Anna Lopes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:13
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
Hi to all! Did it work? Jan 18

Hi all - Happy 2024
I'm thinking about upgrading my account and I would like to know if the cancelling of automatic renewal worked for you all?
Thank you.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:13
Serbian to English
+ ...
Hopefully not nedeed Jan 19

but I solved that kind of problem in the past with a very simply but quite radical solution: I closed the bank account.

The UK company in question was very hard of hearing, and the bank was delaying and delaying my request to end the direct debit to no end under all sorts of pretenses, so I simply closed the bank account. And then opened another one with another bank.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any way to cancel/opt out of the recurring payment for Proz membership?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »