Iniziatore argomento: Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 13:42
Da Inglese a Francese
Nov 15, 2008

Dear Staff,

When using "proz.com term search" you may restrict your search to a specific field, which is useful when there are many entries in the glossary. But sometimes you need to check several fields (e.g. "cost" : you might need to search in economy, finance, investment... while it would be easier and faster to search in the broad "business/finance" field.

So I suggest to add Kudoz broad fields (tech/engineering, business, art/literary, social science, etc) in the
... See more
Dear Staff,

When using "proz.com term search" you may restrict your search to a specific field, which is useful when there are many entries in the glossary. But sometimes you need to check several fields (e.g. "cost" : you might need to search in economy, finance, investment... while it would be easier and faster to search in the broad "business/finance" field.

So I suggest to add Kudoz broad fields (tech/engineering, business, art/literary, social science, etc) in the search system.

Stéphanie
Collapse

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germania
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
I'm with you Nov 15, 2008

Excellent idea, Stéphanie! This option should definitely be included in the KudoZ term search.

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 06:42
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
Not for me Nov 15, 2008

This might be helpful for some users, but as for myself, I prefer to make my term searches as broad as possible, thus including terms/questions that have been included in the wrong category.
Many askers base their selection of category on the overall document (without considering the totally clueless who choose random categories). One example is tech specs, where a term can be entered as "tech/ engineering", when in fact I might consider it as legal (from a part of the specs dealing with o
... See more
This might be helpful for some users, but as for myself, I prefer to make my term searches as broad as possible, thus including terms/questions that have been included in the wrong category.
Many askers base their selection of category on the overall document (without considering the totally clueless who choose random categories). One example is tech specs, where a term can be entered as "tech/ engineering", when in fact I might consider it as legal (from a part of the specs dealing with obligations). Names of government agencies can be just about anywhere.
Occasionally I have to wade through 1-3 pages of references, but overall this gives me more of an opportunity to find the one ideal answer that I need, hidden away in a category I never would have thought of.
Collapse

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
Francia
Da Inglese a Francese
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Agree, Richard Nov 15, 2008

I, too, usually make my searches as broad as possible. But today, I looked for a term, got 4 pages of results, half of them being labelled tech/engineering, while I was searching for a more "business" meaning. I had to review each page and ended up with nothing satisfactory.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germania
Membro (2002)
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Fully seconded Nov 17, 2008

Hi all,

This idea is definitely worth considering - I've alerted staff to this thread so that they can assess if this can be implemented.

Regards,
Steffen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add Broad Fields in the glossary term-search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »