Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Powwow: Toronto - Canada

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Toronto - Canada".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 15:36
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Tuesday Sept. 20th Sep 8, 2022

Let's meet at the Town Crier at 6.45 p.m.
https://www.towncrierpub.ca

Be ready to tell your tales of translating through a pandemic!

[Edited at 2022-09-19 02:25 GMT]

Ailsa Wylie
Kerong Zhao

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 09:36
English to Finnish
+ ...
POWWOW? Sep 8, 2022

We are supposed to be translators. Isn't there an English word for this?

Tom in London

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:36
English to Turkish
Hmm Sep 8, 2022

finnword1 wrote:

I always thought this was an American word, so you say it's not English?

expressisverbis

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Pau Wau Sep 8, 2022

The term “powwow” derives from Pau Wau, meaning “medicine man” in Narrtick, a language spoken by the Algonquian peoples in Massachusetts. English settlers began misusing the word to refer to the meetings of Indigenous medicine men, and later to any kind of American Indian gathering. American... See more
The term “powwow” derives from Pau Wau, meaning “medicine man” in Narrtick, a language spoken by the Algonquian peoples in Massachusetts. English settlers began misusing the word to refer to the meetings of Indigenous medicine men, and later to any kind of American Indian gathering. American Indians have since reclaimed the term.
https://folklife.si.edu/online-exhibitions/american-indian-powwows/history/smithsonian#:~:text=The%20term%20“powwow”%20derives%20from,kind%20of%20American%20Indian%20gathering.

[Edited at 2022-09-08 09:45 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Baran Keki
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:36
English to Turkish
Thanks Jo Sep 8, 2022

Jo Macdonald wrote:

The term “powwow” derives from Pau Wau, meaning “medicine man” in Narrtick, a language spoken by the Algonquian peoples in Massachusetts. English settlers began misusing the word to refer to the meetings of Indigenous medicine men, and later to any kind of American Indian gathering. American Indians have since reclaimed the term.
https://folklife.si.edu/online-exhibitions/american-indian-powwows/history/smithsonian#:~:text=The%20term%20“powwow”%20derives%20from,kind%20of%20American%20Indian%20gathering.

[Edited at 2022-09-08 09:45 GMT]

I'm aware of the word's origins, but it's a widely used American 'English' word (in fact I first heard of it in Apocalypse Now during the great bunnies scene). Anyways, here's hoping there won't be a maniac that reclaims the words 'yoghurt' or 'kebab' and asks that they be removed from the English language.

expressisverbis
Jo Macdonald
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 14:36
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
International Sep 8, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Anyways, here's hoping there won't be a maniac that reclaims the words 'yoghurt' or 'kebab' and asks that they be removed from the English language.

Those are international words, they can't be removed from any language and... never from our cuisine

Jo Macdonald
Baran Keki

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
The word is decided by proz.com, not by me Sep 8, 2022

finnword1 wrote:

In fact, in my email invite, I changed it to "meetup" (because the way we use it here is cultural misappropriation)

Jo Macdonald
expressisverbis
finnword1
Ailsa Wylie

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Oh, not again Sep 8, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

reclaims the words 'yoghurt' or 'kebab' and asks that they be removed from the English language.

We're still trying to get used to 'Türkiye', you know.

Baran Keki
Gerard de Noord

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
Attention: ProzCom moderators Sep 8, 2022

Merriam-Webster:
"Use of this term in contexts not relating to Indigenous Americans or their cultures is considered offensive."

[Edited at 2022-09-08 23:34 GMT]

Ailsa Wylie
Hege Jakobsen Lepri

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
POWWOW? Sep 11, 2022

finnword1 wrote:

I would appreciate if you took this up with proz.com (as I already did, years ago) instead of badgering me. Since the term used for the meetups is locked by the system, that is the only way if you want to "be the change" and not just "be a nuisance".

expressisverbis
Larissa Boutrimova

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Suggested venue Sep 12, 2022

Browsed through the area around Union Station and found this:

I have been there only once, many years ago, but seems like it would tick our boxes. So if nobody has a better suggestion ...

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks Sep 13, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:
... it's a widely used American 'English' word (in fact I first heard of it in Apocalypse Now during the great bunnies scene).

Right. In common American English parlance, the word is used as in definition 3 here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/powwow

If I am not mistaken, M-W has included this sense of the word for many years; the "offensive" label seems to have been added recently. (Other resources continue to list the definition without regarding it as offensive.)

By the way, I'm the one that named our events "powwows". It is just the word that naturally came to my mind for this type of thing, a social gathering that kind of has a working component. That word is (was?) used in American businesses. I didn't even really mean it as a marketing term. I'm not sure I was aware of the etymology. (Athough I learned soon after we released powwows.)

Having said the above, I think I notice that the word is not used as commonly as it once was. It may not even be the right term anymore. And of course we don't want to put event organizers in an uncomfortable position. So we'll take this into consideration for the time being. And I'll ask around. We may change it in the future. If anyone has suggestions for other terms, please share. Remember that it takes a little time to change things like this.

Thank you.

expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
Yuri Geifman
Baran Keki
Jo Macdonald
Gerard de Noord
Gary Wellman

Yuri Geifman
Yuri Geifman  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks Sep 14, 2022

Sorry, didn't mean to repeat the post

[Edited at 2022-09-14 19:16 GMT]

Gary Wellman
Gary Wellman  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
Japanese to English
Re: "powwow" Sep 19, 2022

Henry, thank you for the background on the use of the term at Proz. I guess it is a little outdated now so maybe it would be a good time to change it. I think the word "meet-up" is used quite often these days. You also might want to distinguish between online and physical get-togethers. If you want to use something different, how about "clambake" or "huddle"?
Hege, I am sorry I won't be able to make it this time. I hope to meet you next time you're in TO.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri

Kerong Zhao
Kerong Zhao
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
Tuesday Sept. 20th Sep 19, 2022

[quote]Hege Jakobsen Lepri wrote:

Let's meet at the Town Crier at 6.45 p.m.
Be ready to tell your tales of translating through a pandemic!
--------------------

It seems that the pub closes at 2 from Google Maps, but maybe it is wrong info there.

[Edited at 2022-09-19 18:18 GMT]

Hege Jakobsen Lepri

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Toronto - Canada

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »