Poll: If you do, when did you start using machine translation or offering MTPE services?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 29

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you do, when did you start using machine translation or offering MTPE services?".

This poll was originally submitted by Thorsten Schülke. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
2023 Apr 29

I don't offer MTPE, but, as I said before (a similar Quick Poll), I’ve done only one MTPE job so far (I’ve refused many as I don’t want to shoot myself on the foot).

P.S. I must add that yesterday chatting with a colleague I respect and enjoy working with she said that nowadays she much prefers doing MTPE to editing some human translations. I’m not easily influenced but I might reassess my opinion on MTPE…

[Edited at 2024-04-30 07:04 GMT]

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Iulia Parvu
Alaa Mahm
Christopher Schröder
Hayley Wakenshaw

Gaurav Gupta
Gaurav Gupta
India
Local time: 05:59
Member (2023)
Japanese to English
Never Apr 30

I didn't become a translator to become a machine slave
I became a translator because I enjoy the process

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Iulia Parvu
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Alaa Mahm
Josephine Cassar
Christopher Schröder
Arabic & More

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 02:29
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
2020 Apr 30

I started using it in 2020 at the beginning of the pandemic as one of the measures to weaponize myself against the financial doom I thought covid would bring (eventually it didn't bring any).

No regrets whatsoever. On the contrary: offering quality MTPE at a profitable rate is without a doubt an asset to survive a little longer in this industry.

Angie Garbarino
Sławomira Kaczmarek
Zea_Mays
Kelly Martin
expressisverbis
Kyoko Iwata

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
not the same Apr 30

I wouldn't put using MT and offering MTPE on the same level, they are completely different things.

Josephine Cassar
Marta Bevanda
ipv
expressisverbis
writeaway
Liena Vijupe
Becca Resnik

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Never Apr 30

I never offered to do MTPE services. Being asked about it is another matter though.

[Edited at 2024-04-30 07:47 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
been offered Apr 30

I don't use MT. All assignments I get from agencies expressly ban MT use.

I was offered (never offered them) and completed MTPE jobs for the first time in 2001 for a returning agency customer. Then sporadically from 2007 until 2010. Then recently from long-standing customers.
Twenty+ years of progress and still as boring, uninteresting, mind-numbing a task as order pick-up in a giant warehouse. At least I earn more per hour than standard translation, but it's only to offset fu
... See more
I don't use MT. All assignments I get from agencies expressly ban MT use.

I was offered (never offered them) and completed MTPE jobs for the first time in 2001 for a returning agency customer. Then sporadically from 2007 until 2010. Then recently from long-standing customers.
Twenty+ years of progress and still as boring, uninteresting, mind-numbing a task as order pick-up in a giant warehouse. At least I earn more per hour than standard translation, but it's only to offset future brain damage.

Philippe

[Edited at 2024-04-30 11:52 GMT]
Collapse

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:29
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
Other Apr 30

I do not remember the exact time, I think it was before Covid already. I have never offered it and still don't, but was forced to use it for EU jobs if I wanted to continue the work. Considering the volumes it has been generally worth it, just boring as hell.

Claudio Machado Junior
Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Thomas Johansson

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Other Apr 30

I don't remember - and in the beginning it was just a hassle, which I just took on exceptionally.

However, surprisingly MT has improved tremendously the last year and has even become a help.
But I still don't do MTPE for peanuts.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Apples and oranges Apr 30

You should not mix two different things together. Offering MTPE is a synonym of ripping off yourself. MT is a tool that can facilitate your work if you know how to use it. I use MT for years now but I don't accept MTPE in the modern sense ("the less we pay, the more you work > profit").

Luis M. Sosa
expressisverbis
Peter Shortall
MagnusRubensson

Levan Namoradze
Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 04:29
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Never Apr 30

Any MTPE project is an underpaid job. Agencies pay less for an almost same job. I would rather give up translating, than deal with MTPE jobs.

Ezz Eldeen Mohammad
Peter Shortall

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
Never really started... Apr 30

...and probably never will. I did get into DeepL pretty much when it was introduced, but I have never used it beyond helping me with the occasional complex sentence. It would never occur to me to pre-MT any of my jobs and then post-edit the output, the hassle is way too much compared to just translating the way I am used to translating.
MTPE, though? I will - very rarely - accept a job to see if I'm missing out on anything, only to get clear confirmation that, no, I am still not missing ou
... See more
...and probably never will. I did get into DeepL pretty much when it was introduced, but I have never used it beyond helping me with the occasional complex sentence. It would never occur to me to pre-MT any of my jobs and then post-edit the output, the hassle is way too much compared to just translating the way I am used to translating.
MTPE, though? I will - very rarely - accept a job to see if I'm missing out on anything, only to get clear confirmation that, no, I am still not missing out and probably never will. I don't know - nor care to know - what MT engines my clients are using, but they are not even able to construct the simplest German sentences.
Collapse

Ezz Eldeen Mohammad
Ezz Eldeen Mohammad  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Out of necessity. Apr 30

I feel like many translators take issue with MTPE, and rightly so. However, recently, even respectable agencies that have been around for what feels like decades, have started offering MTPE services that jeopardize the translator, making quality jobs harder to find than ever before.

Sometimes one is forced to take these kinds of jobs, especially in dry months. No client guarantees constant quality work. Our industry is very harsh in that you're always seeking new clients/opportunit
... See more
I feel like many translators take issue with MTPE, and rightly so. However, recently, even respectable agencies that have been around for what feels like decades, have started offering MTPE services that jeopardize the translator, making quality jobs harder to find than ever before.

Sometimes one is forced to take these kinds of jobs, especially in dry months. No client guarantees constant quality work. Our industry is very harsh in that you're always seeking new clients/opportunities in order to maintain a decent living.

That's just my own experience though. I'm wondering what others think about this. Maybe I'm taking the wrong approach to obtaining clients. Let me know your thoughts!
Collapse

MagnusRubensson

Hayley Wakenshaw
Hayley Wakenshaw  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:29
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
Sometimes MT is better than a human! May 2

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

P.S. I must add that yesterday chatting with a colleague I respect and enjoy working with she said that nowadays she much prefers doing MTPE to editing some human translations. I’m not easily influenced but I might reassess my opinion on MTPE…

[Edited at 2024-04-30 07:04 GMT]

Oh lord, I absolutely agree. In my language pair, I’m afraid there is usually not much difference in quality between the human-translated texts and the machine-translated texts.* They take about the same amount of time to revise. Actually, sometimes, the punctuation is quite sloppy in human translations, so they take longer. I get 25% of my translation rate for revision. I get about 60% of my translation rate for MTPE. So I’m happy to do MTPE, but as a rule, I don’t do revision any more.

I started doing MTPE at the end of 2022.

Interestingly, since Chat GPT and DeepL came to the fore and overtook GT, I’ve been getting better translation work. Bigger jobs, more well-written source texts and better rates. It gives me hope that there will be room for good creative translators for a while yet.

*I suspect that this is because not many native speakers of the target language understand the source language well enough. Instead, it appears that most translations are done by non-native speakers.

[Edited at 2024-05-02 09:36 GMT]

Zea_Mays

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you do, when did you start using machine translation or offering MTPE services?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »