صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]
Poll: When you proofread full MTPE jobs (where a colleague did the PE), how good is generally the quality?
ناشر الموضوع: ProZ.com Staff
MagnusRubensson
MagnusRubensson  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 23:43
أنجليزي إلى سويدي
Conclusion not rushed Apr 29

I've been in this business for well over 25 years full time.
My comment about this was not "rushed" in the least.
On the contrary, it has been a long time coming.

Also, the workflow for post-editing a text edited by someone else is exactly the same as "Workflow for MTPE". In both cases it will take MORE time than translating from scratch, not less.

[Edited at 2024-04-29 19:23 GMT]

Alex Lichanow
Yuliya Sedykh

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 18:43
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى صيني
+ ...
For a serious company Apr 29

Having you proofread a text that has been post-edited is the same as having you proofread a human translation. Some LSPs just choose to add a human proofreading step after their texts have been post-edited in order to deliver better quality translations to the end clients. I hope their end clients would appreciate their extra efforts.

[Edited at 2024-04-29 23:13 GMT]

MagnusRubensson
MagnusRubensson  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 23:43
أنجليزي إلى سويدي
(Large) agencies are not interested in genuine quality Apr 30

My experience (over the last 15 years) is that no large "global" agency is interested in genuine quality.
If they were interested in genuine quality, they would not cheapskate by letting machines do the translation in the first place.

They are interested in high volumes and automation because that brings up their revenue and their profit levels. Real quality comes a very distant second, if even that. Sorry to be so blunt.

Alex Lichanow
Yuliya Sedykh
Christopher Schröder
Liena Vijupe
Gerard Barry
Anna Staingart

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 01:43
أنجليزي إلى روسي
+ ...
Something is wrong with this work cycle May 2

Hiring one or more thinking creatures to work on a text that has been produced without any intellectual involvement. The source translation should provide a solid base for further work. Here is what I learned from reviewing some (not too many: this doesn't happen often in my case) of my translations after they have been edited by other people: any corrections they'd make were always random and erratic, they'd always mess things up while my translations were always systematic: each one was like a... See more
Hiring one or more thinking creatures to work on a text that has been produced without any intellectual involvement. The source translation should provide a solid base for further work. Here is what I learned from reviewing some (not too many: this doesn't happen often in my case) of my translations after they have been edited by other people: any corrections they'd make were always random and erratic, they'd always mess things up while my translations were always systematic: each one was like a building I'd constructed myself and knew thoroughly. No one working on my texts after me could know them better. I'd get more useful inputs from technical experts who'd review my work whenever I got to translate standards, but even they failed to treat a translation as a total system, especially when it was big. Don't know much about MTPE practices, but it always seemed to me it would be optimal to hand over MT controls to someone who can translate (rather than to a techie who's good at tweaking settings while knowing nothing about translation quality, which, I suspect, is often the case)

P. S.: remembering a job when I had to edit a machine translation obtained from a machine translation of a Chinese source text into Russian. The Russian text was, in fact, better than the English (which all went like, "Improper device, operationl,repair, the negligence caused by users, natural disasters, war or riots can’t be the reasons for leadign to the problems"). If I get two more jobs like that one, I'll quit my job and look for a place where my work will be appreciated more

[Редактировалось 2024-05-02 12:18 GMT]
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
فرنسا
Local time: 00:43
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
. May 3

Abdelrahman Ahmed Hamid Abdelrahman wrote:

It's a headache, and translation agencies reducing rates based on that the MTPE will take less time it takes longer than translating from scratch.

Funny you should say that. I have twice done MTPE and twice ended up with a splitting headache. For the second one, I didn't know it was a machine translation (or I would have refused the job) and accused the client of omitting that information based purely on the fact that I had that splitting headache as before. He admitted it at once. And since I had negotiated a per-hour rate, he ended up paying as much as if I had re-translated it (which I ended up doing rather than ploughing through the atrocious translation).

Gerard Barry

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When you proofread full MTPE jobs (where a colleague did the PE), how good is generally the quality?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »