Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you think we should charge for providing TMs to a client?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: ProZ.com Staff
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnië en Herzegovina
Local time: 10:42
Lid 2009
Engels naar Kroatisch
+ ...
Some clients ask for it. Nov 30, 2022

Some clients proudly present these TMs done by other people to me before a project. Naturally, they are totally useless and full of errors.

They would never pay for it, not sure why it crossed anybody's mind. As somebody said, they can align two files and create a TM themselves, even though they don't have a clue about at least one of the two languages. They can use translation segment numbers to pair them. Then they will proudly present them to me.

Tom in London
expressisverbis

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnië en Herzegovina
Lid 2009
Engels naar Kroatisch
+ ...
Not formatting Nov 30, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
If it takes 5 minutes...

5 minutes to polish a TM on a 100k word file? You joking?
I make all edits in my CAT tool. If any formatting issues remain that you have to fix in the target file, they are not important for the TM purposes.

I wasn't talking about formatting issues, but semantic issues. Sometimes I need to exchange places of two translation segments to create a sentence flow for the target file, otherwise it won't make sense in the target file. But in this case, TM verification will report it as an error. Therefore, it can't be fixed within TM.

Stepan Konev

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 09:42
Lid 2015
Engels naar Portugees
+ ...
Alignment Nov 30, 2022

I think this has been discussed a few of times here... but here's my view.
With technology always evolving more and more, translation agencies or even clients who work with CAT tools don't really need our TM and pay us for it.
And they don't need even to ask for them because they can "recreate" them very easily, if they want, for example, by using an alignment tool.
It's all that they need when they own the source text along with the target text. It only takes a few minutes for
... See more
I think this has been discussed a few of times here... but here's my view.
With technology always evolving more and more, translation agencies or even clients who work with CAT tools don't really need our TM and pay us for it.
And they don't need even to ask for them because they can "recreate" them very easily, if they want, for example, by using an alignment tool.
It's all that they need when they own the source text along with the target text. It only takes a few minutes for them to align an average sized file.
No, I wouldn't charge it to a client, but I would charge for creating a terminology database, or termbase for short, and for a glossary or dictionary. Everything that involves terminology management.
Collapse

Christine Andersen

Rita Utt
Rita Utt  Identity Verified
Frankrijk
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Intellectual property Dec 1, 2022

I don't think we should provide TMs at all. A TM is my intellectual property. My work that has gone into it. This is one reason I've stopped working with Tools like Trados (and therefore with agencies).

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Lid 2011
Zweeds naar Engels
+ ...
Yes but no but yes Dec 1, 2022

Rita Utt wrote:

I don't think we should provide TMs at all. A TM is my intellectual property. My work that has gone into it. This is one reason I've stopped working with Tools like Trados (and therefore with agencies).

I agree in principle, but submitting your translation gives them exactly the same information. You cannot keep that IP to yourself.

I hate the idea of my translations being regurgitated by others but that's always been the way, even before CAT tools.

Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think we should charge for providing TMs to a client?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »