Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many outsourcers have asked you to sign their NDA and then sent no work whatsoever?
Autor vlákna: ProZ.com Staff
Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Dánsko
Local time: 07:12
Člen (2012)
angličtina -> dánština
+ ...
Did not count Mar 28, 2022

But I have learned a few things - several of them mentioned in this forum.

Bottom line is that I try not to waste my time, and there are even NDAs I refuse to sign, because they are too 'comprehensive' and over the top.

When approached by a new, potential client I usually only send them my standard rates and wait for their response.
So, if they start talking about negotiating prices, I am not interested. Also, if there's a test translation, it will come first. ... See more
But I have learned a few things - several of them mentioned in this forum.

Bottom line is that I try not to waste my time, and there are even NDAs I refuse to sign, because they are too 'comprehensive' and over the top.

When approached by a new, potential client I usually only send them my standard rates and wait for their response.
So, if they start talking about negotiating prices, I am not interested. Also, if there's a test translation, it will come first.

All in all, I try to avoid unnecessary paperwork, and like some of you mentioned, my best clients never asked for a lot of paperwork.

[Edited at 2022-03-28 15:41 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christine Andersen
Antonio Leggieri
Angie Garbarino

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Kostarika
Local time: 23:12
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
None Mar 28, 2022

I only work with direct clients and they do not have NDAs. I have never signed one
in my 20+ years as an official translator and interpreter.

Antonio Leggieri

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Ruská federace
Local time: 10:12
Člen (2018)
angličtina -> ruština
Several Mar 29, 2022

Once I had a Chinese company which offered me a contract with some unacceptable clauses. After a short dispute they agreed to work with me without signing contract. Their only condition was me signing their NDA. I agreed (the NDA prevented me from revealing the very fact that I had any negotiations with this company) - and they disappeared.

Antonio Leggieri

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dánsko
Člen (2003)
dánština -> angličtina
+ ...
No idea Mar 29, 2022

I don´t think in percentages and I can´t remember nearly 20 years back ... I have several NDAs from clients who have sent at least one job, but I delete others when negotiations fall apart over their terms or my rates or whatever. Clients come and go - I am not sure I have signed NDAs with any of the ones I have worked for this year.

I refuse to sign some of the more ridiculous NDAs, so of course, the outsourcers drop the idea of working with me. Two clients have seriously kept me
... See more
I don´t think in percentages and I can´t remember nearly 20 years back ... I have several NDAs from clients who have sent at least one job, but I delete others when negotiations fall apart over their terms or my rates or whatever. Clients come and go - I am not sure I have signed NDAs with any of the ones I have worked for this year.

I refuse to sign some of the more ridiculous NDAs, so of course, the outsourcers drop the idea of working with me. Two clients have seriously kept me out of mischief the last couple of weeks. I have worked with one since before I started freelancing, and the other was recommended by a colleague. As far as I know, neither has ever sent an NDA.

I never print and scan large numbers of pages. I have an elderly version of Adobe Acrobat which allows me to add or remove pages from a PDF. I print the page for the signature, sign it and add my stamp. (Made by a stationer for a modest fee - it is unofficial, but it smudges and is not easy to tamper with.)
Then I scan the one page and edit it into the document.

There are also ways of adding electronic signatures, but I don't do that.
Collapse

Antonio Leggieri

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazílie
Local time: 02:12
Člen (2014)
angličtina -> portugalština
+ ...
Test, then NDA, then jobs Mar 30, 2022

When the sequence is Contact - Test - NDA - Jobs, then most agencies do follow the track to the jobs, and many to recurrent jobs.
However, when the sequence is Contact - Ask questions, CV, ask for references - NDA - X, then it usually ends up nowhere, with no jobs.
That's because there is no way to evaluate the competence of a translator other than a translation test. Agencies that do not adopt this method will engage translators according to their diplomas, titles and certificates,
... See more
When the sequence is Contact - Test - NDA - Jobs, then most agencies do follow the track to the jobs, and many to recurrent jobs.
However, when the sequence is Contact - Ask questions, CV, ask for references - NDA - X, then it usually ends up nowhere, with no jobs.
That's because there is no way to evaluate the competence of a translator other than a translation test. Agencies that do not adopt this method will engage translators according to their diplomas, titles and certificates, and they usually have to keep doing that forever, as they hire many incompetent translators. The ones that apply tests don't care what diplomas or certificates you have; they want accurate translations and quality. And these are usually long-lasting relationships.
Collapse

Antonio Leggieri
polishedwords
LangMediator

Antonio Leggieri
Antonio Leggieri
Itálie
čínština -> italština
+ ...
Oh well.... Mar 30, 2022

For me, this scenario has repeated itself so many times I can recall every passage from memory:

- Agency X finds Translator Y on proz or on linkedin. X approaches Y via a direct message.
- Y agrees to work for them.
- X sends an NDA.
- Y signs the NDA.
Then something like this happens:
Either
- X asks Y to complete one(or a number of) translation test (tests)
- Y is too busy to complete the tests, or can't be a**ed to complete them, because
... See more
For me, this scenario has repeated itself so many times I can recall every passage from memory:

- Agency X finds Translator Y on proz or on linkedin. X approaches Y via a direct message.
- Y agrees to work for them.
- X sends an NDA.
- Y signs the NDA.
Then something like this happens:
Either
- X asks Y to complete one(or a number of) translation test (tests)
- Y is too busy to complete the tests, or can't be a**ed to complete them, because they're TOO F***ING LONG. End of communication.

Or

- The test somehow doesn't go too well (although Y is a renowned expert in the language combination) and that justifies the proposal of a lower rate. Y blocks X.

Or

- After the NDA is received, they want to discuss rates. Immediate Stalemate.
Collapse

Tom in London
Edward Potter
Patricia Prevost
Branka Ramadanovic

Sanjin Grandić
Sanjin Grandić  Identity Verified
Chorvatsko
Člen (2020)
francouzština -> chorvatština
+ ...
More than I care to remember Mar 30, 2022

So many agencies sent me the NDA
for "possible or incoming projects" especially from Egypt and India or Pakistan while they are in fact building their databases.
Then some even sent proposals to work on very demanding technical translations for $0.02 and then I block them.
These are not even serious agencies but
half scammers. They try to get as many translators in their data bases as possible to "impress" the "end clents" with sheer volume of ""Excellent, seasoned tran
... See more
for "possible or incoming projects" especially from Egypt and India or Pakistan while they are in fact building their databases.
Then some even sent proposals to work on very demanding technical translations for $0.02 and then I block them.
half scammers. They try to get as many translators in their data bases as possible to "impress" the "end clents" with sheer volume of ""Excellent, seasoned translators" in all imaginable fields and language pairs williing to work for ludicrous rates.
e.g. A well named agency appears to be from the USA but after some research
xou find out that their HQ and only phisycal adress is in Mumbai.

I do not choose kind words to raply to such "entrepreneurs"

4 letters sometimes
Collapse

Antonio Leggieri
Branka Ramadanovic

Antonio Leggieri
Antonio Leggieri
Itálie
čínština -> italština
+ ...
Four letters Mar 30, 2022

Four letters is already more attention than they deserve, Sanjin!

Sanjin Grandić wrote:

half scammers. They try to get as many translators in their data bases as possible to "impress" the "end clents" with sheer volume of ""Excellent, seasoned translators" in all imaginable fields and language pairs williing to work for ludicrous rates.
e.g. A well named agency appears to be from the USA but after some research
xou find out that their HQ and only phisycal adress is in Mumbai.

I do not choose kind words to raply to such "entrepreneurs"

4 letters sometimes

Toby Wakely
Toby Wakely  Identity Verified
Španělsko
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
too many Apr 1, 2022

I´ve signed a few in my time, but a long time ago. To be honest, nowadays, I avoid agencies. I´ve experienced a lot of agencies that have demanded all these documents to be filled in and then failed to produce any work. So yes, a waste your time. I just can´t be bothered with them anymore. These things should be required only when a specific job is on offer.

Robert Forstag
Branka Ramadanovic

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many outsourcers have asked you to sign their NDA and then sent no work whatsoever?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »