Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many times do you proofread your translations when there's an ample deadline?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Normally 2 revisions + 2 or 3 proofs Sep 7, 2011

At least two revisions of content are normal, then one proofreading for spelling/punctuation and another for layout, spaces, etc. (I can't do all these at once). I like to do a third final check if possible.

But it does rather depend on my relationship with the client and where I fit into the team. For some clients I produce "publication-ready" texts. For one, I send not much more than a first draft, which we then thrash out together in a creative "ping-pong". Of course, these diff
... See more
At least two revisions of content are normal, then one proofreading for spelling/punctuation and another for layout, spaces, etc. (I can't do all these at once). I like to do a third final check if possible.

But it does rather depend on my relationship with the client and where I fit into the team. For some clients I produce "publication-ready" texts. For one, I send not much more than a first draft, which we then thrash out together in a creative "ping-pong". Of course, these different levels of responsibility are reflected in my tarifs.

[Edited at 2011-09-07 08:01 GMT]
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:55
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
At least twice - plus Sep 7, 2011

I proofread each paragraph before I move on, then highlight it in green (for "go"). WHen I'm finished, I strip the highlight and re-read it twice, once for content and finally for spelling and typos, as it's easy to introduce typos while making corrections.

A wise person once told me that it's never safe to try to read for content and typos in the same pass.

Thanks to Oliver for pointing out what so many people forget:

Oliver Lawrence wrote:
Strictly speaking, according to the EN 15038 quality standard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_15038), "proofreading" doesn't just mean "checking a text", but rather refers to checking the final version in its form ready for printing. The previous stage of checking the uncleaned translation (or checking the translation against the source) is referred to as revising, while checking the translation on its own is called reviewing.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many times do you proofread your translations when there's an ample deadline?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »