Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When I work I like my environment to...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Eugene Seegers
Eugene Seegers
South Africa
Local time: 21:48
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mostly quiet May 5, 2011

My wife and I live in a small apartment, and my desk is right next to the TV, so sometimes she watches a show or a movie while I work. I don't usually get distracted, since she likes to watch movies several times, so I mostly am familiar with the content already ...

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:48
Block the noise out May 5, 2011

aceavila - Noni wrote:

My only weapons against all this are:

High concentration skills acquired...

Putting on my headphones at work

Background television noise (partner watching TV whilst I work) is fine until volume goes loud. My favourite phrase "Can you turn that (volume) one notch down, please!"

Failing that, ear plugs - normally when neighbour has not stopped shouting at her 2.5 year-old daughter for about an hour (telling her to go to sleep!), and there is crying too, sometimes for longer than two hours.

Favourite time: Before the birds have woken up: utter silence. Translation output doubles.

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Relatively quiet: birds, yes; telephones, NO May 5, 2011

Simon Bruni wrote:

Sadly music and speaking in particular interfere with the translation process in my brain. It's a bit like when you are trying to do complicated sums in your head and someone starts saying numbers at you.

I have to admit, though, that only last Saturday I realized that Brahms is quite compatible with cleaning up a TM.

Off-topic:
Noni and Neil: the kiskadees reappeared yesterday... I had been missing them for a couple of months and am so glad they're back.

Neil: You might enjoy this site: www.birding.com, which has lots of information.
I don't know where you can do a "reverse search", i.e. find a bird by its song or call, but a local page here helps you find the names of birds starting with a very general idea of their shape and then narrowing down the options. Only for the birds in this city, unfortunately, which must be a bit different from the ones in Valencia:
http://www.mec.gub.uy/munhina/guia_aves.htm (go to "Guía de identificación")
Another idea is that you could look up the owls in your region in Google and you will see that many pages have audio clips.

Maybe we should ask for a bird forum!!!!

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:48
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Music May 5, 2011

Why not some music?
Classical music when translating and some vocalized music when proofreading.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:48
Member (2009)
French to English
Specific music is ok May 5, 2011

I agree with those who say that music is a distraction - up to a point. I usually go for non-vocal music because it is really the words that interfere. My absolute favorite for when I really need to concentrate is Drone Zone from Soma FM: http://somafm.com/play/dronezone .
The music all has a continuous hum so one song blends into another. It is non-distracting and calming so that I can get into "
... See more
I agree with those who say that music is a distraction - up to a point. I usually go for non-vocal music because it is really the words that interfere. My absolute favorite for when I really need to concentrate is Drone Zone from Soma FM: http://somafm.com/play/dronezone .
The music all has a continuous hum so one song blends into another. It is non-distracting and calming so that I can get into "the zone." When I am working on repetitive tasks such as proofreading, I will put on something loud and energetic so that I don't fall asleep or wander off to more interesting parts of the internet. If it is a task that requires very little brainpower, such as converting files from one format to another, I like to listen to podcasts or NPR. It is all a matter of getting in the right mental state.
Collapse

Rob Lunn
Rob Lunn  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Talk radio or music May 5, 2011

Talk radio most of the time and always for translating and admin; music or silence sometimes and nearly always for proofreading.

Listening to the radio is actually one of the things I most like about working freelance. I don't find it distracting as I can block out the chatter when I need to, which also means I normally only get half the story, but that's OK and enough to keep me happy.

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
Open window, insert brain. May 5, 2011

If I can hear birds singing, the wind in the trees, a passing car, it's perfect. Human music I can't do - I can't tune out even classical.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Some music May 5, 2011

I actually voted for "complete silence" which is what I need to really concentrate on something difficult, although it's really rare for that to happen with two kids and a husband! I do sometimes listen to music, but only certain artists are acceptable, and I have to listen to the same music over and over - something about listening to the same song 10 times in a row helps me concentrate, weird I know...

Oriol Vives (X)
Oriol Vives (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
Deadly silent! May 5, 2011

Only birds are welcome - even when proofreading, I need silence to stay focused.

Maybe I can't do two things at a time? O_o

Dmitrie Highduke
Dmitrie Highduke  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:48
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Music May 5, 2011

Nu metal (especially SOAD) makes me type faster.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
relatively quiet May 6, 2011

early morning: silence
morning: I am alone at home, I decide, according to the job, so maybe I listen to some music, radio o simply silence
early afternoon: silence: children are sleeping
afternoon and evening: could be good cold be bad, it depends if the children are at home, of my wife need to ask things every 5 minutes....

I love from 5:30 am until 1 pm....

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
background music May 6, 2011

rusicus wrote:

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

certain music like jazz. If it's dead silent it gets to me after a while. I can work with sports on tv in the background sometimes...usually baseball. Hockey games are too noisy. I can edit and proofread with the tv on, but for translation I can't have distractions. I live alone and sometimes it does get too quiet, but then i think it's better than trying to concentrate with noisy kids!

What kind of jazz do you prefer in the background? Modern jazz or some old school?

there's this local jazz station that I put on when i want background jazz...it plays 'lighter' jazz but sometimes it's a lot of vocals so that's not always good. They don't play, for example, Miles Davis. There's also this station which plays really good loud obnoxious metal type music which oddly enough, doesn't distract me if it's not on too loud. I guess because I've always loved loud obnoxious metal, it's kind of comforting in an odd way.

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dead silence May 6, 2011

I have even trained my noisy neighbours to keep it down. I read out loud and they get the message and shut up (their lounge and my office share a wall). Of course sometimes I just have to take it for a while. There's no noise in my flat though.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Be quiet May 12, 2011

"Dead silent" sounds too negative for me.

When I work, I love to have my environment to be quiet, no music, no radio or other background noise.

Is it what you mean to be "dead silent"?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When I work I like my environment to...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »