Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you kept all the files of your projects since you first started your translation career?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:54
I did - until I emigrated in 2008 May 2, 2011

I loaded my huge paper based archive (catalogued, referenced, etc.) onto my one-tonne truck and personally delivered to the waste paper recovery plant in Harare, Zimbabwe. Having worked for the head office of this papermaking conglomerate many years ago, I was able to speak to the foreman (who recognised me) and request immediate, while-u-wait shredding. Now, that is service! I managed to buy a soft drink on the way home with the money issued for the waste.
3.5 inch disks received a rather
... See more
I loaded my huge paper based archive (catalogued, referenced, etc.) onto my one-tonne truck and personally delivered to the waste paper recovery plant in Harare, Zimbabwe. Having worked for the head office of this papermaking conglomerate many years ago, I was able to speak to the foreman (who recognised me) and request immediate, while-u-wait shredding. Now, that is service! I managed to buy a soft drink on the way home with the money issued for the waste.
3.5 inch disks received a rather more primitive destruction method involving a screwdriver and a pair of scissors. Recent files were put on memory stick, but I may as well not have bothered.
The archive boxes were donated to the company I worked for at the time .
Altogether very cathartic!
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:54
English to Italian
99.9% May 2, 2011

Basically all of them.
Most of them have been very useful for other translations.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Responded "other" May 2, 2011

In fact, I probably would have kept them all or most of them, but I started, too, my business with a typewriter and so have kept only some interesting paper documents (originals or carbon copies) or, later on, a good number of floppy disks. But as soon as CDs or DVDs were available, I have kept everything, unless I was requested explicitly not do to so.

Marzia Nicole Bucca
Marzia Nicole Bucca  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:54
English to Italian
+ ...
Me too! May 3, 2011

Simon Bruni wrote:

I chuck everything on a DVD at the end of each year.

Cheers
Simon

I do the same, it's fast and DVDs are really easy to store.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you kept all the files of your projects since you first started your translation career?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »