Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Do you think a translator's profile picture can influence an outsourcer's final decision?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:49
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Really ? Apr 26, 2011

The Misha wrote:

Also, as Simon Bruni said above, children, dogs, elephants, trumpets, saxophones and anything else unrelated to the business at hand is a total no-no. Competing for business is hard enough as it is without shooting yourself in the foot.

Really ?!

Quite the opposite, according to some of my clients.

Nevertheless, I agree that pictures of/with/showing children should be definitely banned ... for the children's security ! You never know which deranged person could see them and find your (and your children's) address, e-mail, etc. on the Net.

Have a nice day

Catherine

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not seeing a photo feels as if there's a barrier Apr 26, 2011

I know I feel much more connection with a colleague when they post a picture on ProZ. It doesn't matter what the picture is like, though extreme poses put me off. Since photos are so ubiquitous these days, their absence feels strange.

I have a proper photo on my website. The current one is the first time I've posted anything but a picture of myself. I was celebrating the fact that my dog recently survived life-saving surgery; it will be replaced soon.

Eser Perkins wrote:
Apart from the negative or positive influence of a profile image, I think, even having a real photo on your profile is sometimes enough to elicit trust from an outsourcer. Personally, I don't feel like trusting an avatar as much as I trust a real human image. As long as it is not pretentious, extravagant, silly, etc, having a real photo on one's profile always counts as a pro in my estimation.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 16:49
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I was surprised, but yes! May 16, 2011

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I know I feel much more connection with a colleague when they post a picture on ProZ.]

I think Muriel has hit the nail on the head there: having some sort of portrait starts out by creating a connection.

Originally, I chose to remain anonymous on ProZ.com, and so I used a pseudonym and didn't post a picture.

Then when I felt more confident, and one specific danger had passed, I did post a picture, and I was astonished to find how many people were surprised, because they had thought I was a woman!

Later, with growing confidence, I posted a few pictures that I thought were fun, and expressed something of my character. I shy away from those people with too-formal portraits — I well remember one ex-member who had a formidable corporate portrait, power-dressing and all; frankly, I would never in a million years have trusted her with a translation job of mine!

Interestingly, I had quite sharply polarized reactions: many of my colleagues castigated me for my unprofessional presentation; others congratulated me on my originality, etc.

Even more interesting was the reaction from outsourcers; of course, I have no way of knowing how many hundreds ran away screaming from my portrait and placed an immediate block on my profile. However, what I do know is how many outsourcers contacted me and said that my quirky photo was what had made me stand out from the crowd, and was the reason why they had called me first — and as far as I'm concerned, that is the only thing that matters!

aceavila - Noni wrote:
Personally I think the outsourcer will be aware of negative influence from a photo/image, but may not also be aware of positive influence. Far more difficult to calibrate.

I think that is very true: the negative influence is easier to spot, but the creative ones among us may like to try and find ways of exploiting that more subliminal positive aspect.

[Modifié le 2011-05-16 20:20 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think a translator's profile picture can influence an outsourcer's final decision?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »