Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Since you became a freelance translator, have you had more holidays?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes Apr 15, 2011

We call it "vacation", and my boss is very liberal with that. Of course sometimes when on vacation I can also be called upon to do some work, which I do not mind. But such flexibility is the great advantage of being a freelancer.

Lisa McCreadie (X)
Lisa McCreadie (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
A tentative yes.. Apr 15, 2011

..but like many others on this forum, I tend to find my work comes with me. I'm terrified at the prospect of switching off totally for a few weeks! (I'm sure after about 3 days, I'll have no such qualms!)

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:10
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Less holiday time, but more holidays Apr 15, 2011

I used to be a teacher, so I had lots of "holiday time". However, as the owner of the private school I toiled in had made a religion of miserliness, my family and I could rarely afford to actually go anywhere.

I have much less downtime now, but when I do take time off I can afford to go somewhere interesting, and take my family with me.

DouglasCarnall
DouglasCarnall  Identity Verified
France
French to English
is this a good definition of a vacation? Apr 15, 2011

Henry Hinds wrote:

We call it "vacation", and my boss is very liberal with that. Of course sometimes when on vacation I can also be called upon to do some work, which I do not mind. But such flexibility is the great advantage of being a freelancer.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:10
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
More travel Apr 16, 2011

But I take a hit income-wise. I don't usually work when I'm traveling. What's the point? If I pay a bunch of money and go through the hassle of stuffing myself in an airplane to go someplace, I want to enjoy being there!

So I would say more travel compared to my most recent desk job. It wasn't always that way, however. In the old days, my job took me traveling to many exotic places. To have reliable translation services on-site during conferences, my employer, the Organization of Am
... See more
But I take a hit income-wise. I don't usually work when I'm traveling. What's the point? If I pay a bunch of money and go through the hassle of stuffing myself in an airplane to go someplace, I want to enjoy being there!

So I would say more travel compared to my most recent desk job. It wasn't always that way, however. In the old days, my job took me traveling to many exotic places. To have reliable translation services on-site during conferences, my employer, the Organization of American States, used to ship large translation teams all over Latin America. I got to work at more than 30 conferences in foreign countries, and I would usually take a few days afterwards to explore the sites, thanks to their generous 26 days annual leave. However, the Internet brought the gravy train to an end.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 16, 2011

Define holiday. And why is this an issue?

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, Apr 16, 2011

but always with work. I always take my work on holiday with me and if I were a normal employee, I would never be able to afford, let alone take the time off for the periods I am away from the office. But always with my laptops under my arms. Always time for the family though and work is done when they are not there (on the beach) or during the evening / night

Pernilla Wåhlström
Pernilla Wåhlström  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
Not more but better Apr 18, 2011

I don't have more time off now than I had when I was an employee, but today I have the freedom to choose when I want time off and if I want to travel it's no problem since all I need is my laptop and an internet connection to be able to do my job wherever I am.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:10
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Being there May 5, 2011

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Given a choice between taking a two-week, work-free trip to Spain (for instance) or taking a four-week trip and working half-time while I'm there, I'd rather be in Spain for four weeks. I'll have more fun, see more of my friends there, and it's better for my language skills. Plus, by being available for urgent jobs while traveling, I keep my clients happy, which means I keep my clients.

I don't take these longer trips often but I like the flexibility of being able to take them.

[Edited at 2011-05-05 14:39 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Since you became a freelance translator, have you had more holidays?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »