Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How do you clean your monitor/flat-screen when dusting isn't enough?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:23
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Damp cloth and then dry cloth, plain water Apr 3, 2011

At home I use a barely damp cloth and then a clean dry cloth. We are really lucky with the local water. It has a fine neutral taste and is not very hard.

I use a very soft cloth - an ancient linen teatowel, too thin for the kitchen, or 100% cotton underwear is ideal! Remove all seams and trims before using it as rags, and wash regularly! Having been hot-washed so many times, it does not leave fluff like so many other fabrics and paper tissues, and does not harm the surface you are
... See more
At home I use a barely damp cloth and then a clean dry cloth. We are really lucky with the local water. It has a fine neutral taste and is not very hard.

I use a very soft cloth - an ancient linen teatowel, too thin for the kitchen, or 100% cotton underwear is ideal! Remove all seams and trims before using it as rags, and wash regularly! Having been hot-washed so many times, it does not leave fluff like so many other fabrics and paper tissues, and does not harm the surface you are wiping.

But the water is important too. When travelling, I sometimes have to use distilled water or cleaning products, for instance when visitng my father. His local water is fine for drinking, but tends to leave smears - it is very hard.
Collapse

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:23
English to French
+ ...
dish liquid... Apr 3, 2011

...works wonders on my glasses and every monitor/screen - laptop, desktop, tv - or piece of glass around the house. But I agree with Jenny that vinegar does a good job too.

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Albanian
+ ...
sometimes I use a foam used to clean screens Apr 3, 2011

it does good job, no traces of anything.

but in most of cases I use a wrap that is used to clean glasses and it does good job only for dust but not of other inpurities

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Other Apr 3, 2011

I use to clean my glasses with

Tim van den Oudenhoven
Tim van den Oudenhoven
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No dust seems to appear on anti-glare Apr 3, 2011

I remember getting lots of dust on my old Sony Vaio laptop, which needed lots of cleaning with a special product. I think it's because it was a glossy screen (like most screens are).
I switched to a Macbook Pro with an anti-glare matte screen 3 years ago (the one I am using right now, still as fast as on day 1) and it really attracts no dust at all (went over it with my hand just now to test).
Macs are more expensive, but then you don't have to clean your screen all that much, which
... See more
I remember getting lots of dust on my old Sony Vaio laptop, which needed lots of cleaning with a special product. I think it's because it was a glossy screen (like most screens are).
I switched to a Macbook Pro with an anti-glare matte screen 3 years ago (the one I am using right now, still as fast as on day 1) and it really attracts no dust at all (went over it with my hand just now to test).
Macs are more expensive, but then you don't have to clean your screen all that much, which saves you millions (that's right, millions!).
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:23
Portuguese to English
+ ...
If you visit this poll again... Apr 4, 2011

Tim van den Oudenhoven wrote:

Macs are more expensive, but then you don't have to clean your screen all that much, which saves you millions (that's right, millions!).

When I bought my MacBook Pro I considered the matte screen but had heard it wasn't as good for watching videos, movies, etc. (I bought my machine online, so I couldn't check it out)...do you know if that's true?

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:23
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
glasses-cleaning cloths Apr 4, 2011

are really ideal.
As for vinegar, yes, it is so handy! isn't malt vinegar most usually used on chips? (or fries as they're called on this side of the world).
Regular white vinegar gets rid of salt stains on boots; certain smells; cleans the coffeemaker...i always have some around the house. And of course red, balsamic and malt for the good stuff.

keelin feeney
keelin feeney  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 02:23
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Special computer wipes Apr 4, 2011

I use special computer wipes which work a treat though I use a tiny amount of glass cleaner now and again too.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Swiffer Apr 4, 2011

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you clean your monitor/flat-screen when dusting isn't enough?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »