Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you offer discounts for large projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:50
English to Russian
+ ...
No Mar 29, 2011

Discounts may be offered for repetitions, not just for large projects. Moreover, in my opinion large projects are usually harder to deal with because they add tension, keep me busy day and night, and involve the risk of losing other clients. I don't like large projects and take them only if really attractive pay is offered or if I have no other work.

BTW, I recall a good story by Mark Twain about a bag-maker who refused to offer discount for a bulk order. He said: "It's a pleasure f
... See more
Discounts may be offered for repetitions, not just for large projects. Moreover, in my opinion large projects are usually harder to deal with because they add tension, keep me busy day and night, and involve the risk of losing other clients. I don't like large projects and take them only if really attractive pay is offered or if I have no other work.

BTW, I recall a good story by Mark Twain about a bag-maker who refused to offer discount for a bulk order. He said: "It's a pleasure for me to make 2 bags a day but making four bags would be a strain."
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Large projects are harder to manage Mar 29, 2011

I agree with Cristina:

Cristina Saur wrote:
For me, however, the job doesn't get easier just because it has a large volume, as coherence and cohesion, etc. are more difficult to monitor. Moreover, with large projects I often find myself having to reject other customers.

I have had both problems. TMs and other aids can't keep track of the document's inner consistency. Only a human brain can do that - and I say that with some knowledge, as I used to be involved in artificial intelligence.

Just last month I lost a chunk of money because I accepted a large job and later had to turn down several smaller jobs that happened to be at really premium rates.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you offer discounts for large projects?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »