Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: What are your favorite munchies while you work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:41
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No snacks, thanks! Mar 27, 2011

But I may have a cup of coffee (espresso) from time to time...

Timo Eugster
Timo Eugster  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:41
Finnish to English
+ ...
rosie lea Mar 27, 2011

I don't work well without a cup of tea (cold, more often that not) approx. 1 metre away from my desk. Not only does this avoid any unfortunate laptop-bathing, it also affords me a moment to spin around in the office chair (not cup-in-hand though) and reflect on the phrase at hand.

I can't say I'm big on munching during work. It's not good to have mucky hands and I prefer to leave snacks for "treat-times" when I feel I deserve them...
See more
I don't work well without a cup of tea (cold, more often that not) approx. 1 metre away from my desk. Not only does this avoid any unfortunate laptop-bathing, it also affords me a moment to spin around in the office chair (not cup-in-hand though) and reflect on the phrase at hand.

I can't say I'm big on munching during work. It's not good to have mucky hands and I prefer to leave snacks for "treat-times" when I feel I deserve them
Collapse

Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:41
Czech to English
+ ...
Nobody mentioned bread?! Mar 27, 2011

Tea (assam with soya milk) and toast (with margarine, peanut butter or yeast extract, or all of them!).

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:41
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Chips, but not while translating Mar 27, 2011

I may eat chips or a similar dry snack while answering a Quick Poll (as I am doing right now), but once I get to work on a translation I concentrate totally.

Sure, stuff gets into my keyboard, but I turn it over and shake it out, then run a folded Post-It between the rows. I use cheap old-fashioned keyboards because I wear them out so fast. They succumb to too many keystrokes, not crumbs.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:41
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
About keyboards and crumbs Mar 27, 2011

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Sure, stuff gets into my keyboard, but I turn it over and shake it out, then run a folded Post-It between the rows. I use cheap old-fashioned keyboards because I wear them out so fast. They succumb to too many keystrokes, not crumbs.

The other day I tried a virtual keyboard on an Acer laptop. I couldn't keep my fingers on the right keys!
http://www.engadget.com/photos/acer-iconia-windows-7-dual-screen-tablet-and-clear-fi-media-sharing/#3601888
Old-fashioned keyboards may catch the odd crumb, but at least you know which key you're on

Actually, I don't eat and work at all, but I always have a mug of coffee beside me (piping hot, warm, or stone cold...)

Liliana Galiano
Liliana Galiano
Argentina
Local time: 22:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cheese sandwich Mar 27, 2011

Lately, because I'm on a diet, but depending on the weather, it could be chocolates or any of the other. But, that's when I am not in a hurry, if I am, then there's no time for any food whatsoever!
Regards.

Romina Pérez Escorihuela
Romina Pérez Escorihuela  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:41
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Coffee!! Mar 27, 2011

Caffelatte, capuccino, dark coffee...

Eser Perkins
Eser Perkins  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:41
English to Turkish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Other Mar 27, 2011

Michael Harris wrote:

but loads of drinking:-)
Also fills your tum

I constantly drink something all day long! Lately I've been drinking my new favorite: 2 measures sparkling mineral water mixed with one measure iced tea! Keeps me awake and refreshed.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
No snacking! Mar 28, 2011

Lots of tea (mainly herbal/fruit tea since I would like to limit my caffeine intake and I usually have enough coffee in the morning to get going), perhaps an apple to tide me over till lunchtime. I want to limit myself to 3 proper meals per day and give my body enough time to digest those properly.

So definitely no sweets, crisps or other calory-laden foods, thank you.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
As I am from the UK too... Mar 28, 2011

Of course, tea!

Although these days it's more likely to be green than black tea.

And I generally have a bottle of water nearby (usually only tapwater - if it's in a glass my cat drinks it!)

I do occasionally eat my lunch in front of the computer, although that's become more difficult since I have moved to a laptop, because I can't shove the keyboard out of the way to fit my plate in. And as others have said, that's only while browsing the forums or som
... See more
Of course, tea!

Although these days it's more likely to be green than black tea.

And I generally have a bottle of water nearby (usually only tapwater - if it's in a glass my cat drinks it!)

I do occasionally eat my lunch in front of the computer, although that's become more difficult since I have moved to a laptop, because I can't shove the keyboard out of the way to fit my plate in. And as others have said, that's only while browsing the forums or something; I can't translate at all while eating, as I need all of my fingers for typing.
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
I don't eat, but... Mar 28, 2011

I have to drink something while I'm working.
I love coffee, caffe latte, filter coffee, instant coffee, Greek coffee, cold coffee... Occasionally I might have a cup of tea, but I'm not a big fan. Also, I always keep a bottle of fresh water next to my desk, which I never drink...

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
In memoriam
Coffeeeeeeee! Mar 28, 2011

I'm a non-stop coffee-drinker during the day. Coffee to wake me up in the morning, coffee to keep me alert during the day and...coffee at a local café if I have time for a break.

I hardly ever snack between meals. I might have a banana or a yoghurt once a month at most, but never sweets, chocolate, chips/crisps etc.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by poster
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What are your favorite munchies while you work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »