Off topic: April fool jokes
Thread poster: Arcoiris
Arcoiris
Arcoiris
Local time: 15:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 1, 2003

Sorry if you clicked here expecting any jokes. I meant to ask if anybody has a good one for today, but we are not allowed to use exclamation marks in the heading.

By the way, jokes on 1 April are common in English-speaking countries, but are they also known elsewhere? perhaps on a different date, for example in Mexico people play tricks on 28 December, Innocents Day.

Does anybody have a good one to share?

I leave you here with this link. Enjoy
... See more
Sorry if you clicked here expecting any jokes. I meant to ask if anybody has a good one for today, but we are not allowed to use exclamation marks in the heading.

By the way, jokes on 1 April are common in English-speaking countries, but are they also known elsewhere? perhaps on a different date, for example in Mexico people play tricks on 28 December, Innocents Day.

Does anybody have a good one to share?

I leave you here with this link. Enjoy!

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/topten1.html
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 16:22
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
poisson d 'avril Apr 1, 2003

As far as I remember, this habit dates back to \"one of the Louis\'\" (copyright Woody Allen in \"Small Time Crooks\") in France.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
April 1 in Poland Apr 1, 2003

I know that April Fool jokes are played in Poland, because on one April 1 some time in the seventies, Polish Radio reported that A Polish space rocket had been launched from somewhere in a non-existent mountain range in East Poland. This was picked up by BBC Monitoring, where the News Bureau treated it as a serious news story, and later had to apologize for it.

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:22
German to Italian
+ ...
In Italy... Apr 1, 2003

... April fool jokes are common too. I just got one, I\'m soooo naive

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A nice lie is the best if you are in Portugal today Apr 1, 2003

Hello,

In Portugal we always try to get a nice lie for ours friends. Something that is untrue but that people really believe in.

Then, tomorrow we just give them a call and say... well, sorry it was my \"1st April\'s lie!\"

We cal it \"dias das mentiras\". It really upsets people to have believed in something that wasn\'t so

Cheers

Mónica

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:22
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mark Twain on April Fool's day Apr 1, 2003

I really like this quote:

\"The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other 364 days of the year. \"

- American humorist Mark Twain

Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Local time: 17:22
German to English
+ ...
We have them too in Germany...but serious ones! Apr 1, 2003

Yes, we (at least used to) have them in Germany too, only that we Germans do everything with a purpose. My three favourites are:

a) spanning cling film over the male toilet basin

You can\'t see it - the effect is amazing!

b) superglue on the toilet seat

Happened in a German factory, the guy had to be taken to the hospital with the toilet seat glued to his backside. Not funny for the victim, but certainly for the
... See more
Yes, we (at least used to) have them in Germany too, only that we Germans do everything with a purpose. My three favourites are:

a) spanning cling film over the male toilet basin

You can\'t see it - the effect is amazing!

b) superglue on the toilet seat

Happened in a German factory, the guy had to be taken to the hospital with the toilet seat glued to his backside. Not funny for the victim, but certainly for the spectators - yes, we know \"Schadenfreude\".

c) The-Russian-Embassy-Joke

The story goes, there was a guy, who took himself a bit too serious and self-important, so his friends wrote a letter to the Russian Embassy, asking for visa regulations, weeks before 1st April. Of course, a reply was sent and the friends were now in possession of Russian Embassy letterheaded paper. The letterhead was copied onto a blank page, underneath, in German they wrote:

\"We kindly request your presence at our annual cocktail party on 1st April, 20:00 at the Russian Embassy, address, etc.\"

On the other half of the page, they wrote in Russian: \"Gorbachev (he was the boss at the time) looks like a bird has dropped something on his head and he\'s a stupid ******.\" (of course followed by date, time and address again)...

This letter was sent to the friend, who, one week before 1st April, came into the bar were they usually met and proudly waved the letter: \"Guess what, I\'ve been invited to a cocktail party at the Russian Embassy...\"

On the evening of 1st April, our victim went to the Russian Embassy, showed the letter to the guards. They of course read the Russian text first and he was taken for two hours questioning into the compound....his friends awaited him outside the embassy...

Can you imagine?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

April fool jokes

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »