Thread poster: katstan
Kvasir
Kvasir
Canada
Local time: 16:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
as a non-european... May 15, 2003

i\'ve also seen the joke many times, from the alleged Mark Twain-authored version to the Auf Wiedersehen version. I must say that until i\'ve read the Auf Wiedersehen version, I didn\'t realise it was anti-german.

Of course it isn\'t fair to say all the other versions of this joke is racist (or ethnical or whatever you want to call it) when the punch line at the end has been changed so much. The \"drem\", in all these other versions only refers to the dream of creating EuroE
... See more
i\'ve also seen the joke many times, from the alleged Mark Twain-authored version to the Auf Wiedersehen version. I must say that until i\'ve read the Auf Wiedersehen version, I didn\'t realise it was anti-german.

Of course it isn\'t fair to say all the other versions of this joke is racist (or ethnical or whatever you want to call it) when the punch line at the end has been changed so much. The \"drem\", in all these other versions only refers to the dream of creating EuroEnglish.

But then, maybe that\'s why the joke has been able to get away from too much scrutiny and gets forwarded to people\'s mailbox (over and over again), because the secondary punchline is so well hidden.

Quote:

On 2003-04-28 11:18, hpesch wrote:

By the way, as I indicated in the title-line, a Britisch tv-program proved, that Germans understand jokes better than any other nation. They published thousands of jokes on their web-page and let people rank them according to funniness. Germans thougt more jokes to be funny than other nations.

Hmmm... i\'ve heard it was an internet survey. Canadians came out near the bottom as they found the least number of jokes that were funny.

Is this to say Canadians are grim, dull people? Here in canada we defend it by saying canadians have a more sophisticated sense of humour.

Auf Wiedersehen,

-Kvasir ▲ Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Euro-English (joke)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »