Off topic: Do you talk to yourself when you translate? How?
Autor wątku: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:43
Członek ProZ.com
hiszpański
+ ...
Oct 26, 2007

A few months ago I posted a thread about miming out my translations. I was glad to find out that not only I'm not alone with my miming, but also there are many translators out there that talk to themselves when they translate. I don't mean proofreading out loud, I mean having actual conversations.

Last night, I was trying to find an alternative way to translate a term I wasn't happy with. I found the translation on diction
... See more
A few months ago I posted a thread about miming out my translations. I was glad to find out that not only I'm not alone with my miming, but also there are many translators out there that talk to themselves when they translate. I don't mean proofreading out loud, I mean having actual conversations.

Last night, I was trying to find an alternative way to translate a term I wasn't happy with. I found the translation on dictionaries, glossaries, my client's glossary and finally the KOG's, but I still didn't like it. So, after spending probably 20 minutes with this two-word term, I gave up and said out loud: "Fine! I don't like it but I guess I'm gonna have to use it". Then I realized, who the hell am I talking to? And that's not the first time I've done that.

I'd love to read other postings about work-related schizophrenia.

Claudia
Collapse

Nemo Phan
Nemo Phan
Wietnam
Local time: 04:43
angielski > wietnamski
+ ...
I like the way you share it Oct 26, 2007

Haha, great mind alike. Do you love song lyric translation? Then you should be singing like that many times.

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Izrael
Local time: 17:43
Członek ProZ.com
od 2007

hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
I am sure you're not alone. Oct 26, 2007

I constantly mutter to myself, things like "who the hell wrote this", or "this is a novel approach to grammar", or simply, "ay, por favor".
It's a good way to relieve the silence without creating a distraction.

Tony M
Tony M
Francja
Local time: 23:43
Członek ProZ.com
francuski > angielski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Very important part of my technique! Oct 27, 2007

Apart from the usual flood of expletives (voice recognition applications will never be any good for me!), I regularly say things out loud, just to see if they 'sound right' — and I do wish some of my fellow KudoZ-answerers would sometimes do the same!

It's a habit I got into years ago when writing movie and other scripts for performance — convincing dialogue can be so difficult to write, and saying it out loud is the only way I know of really checking its viability.

... See more
Apart from the usual flood of expletives (voice recognition applications will never be any good for me!), I regularly say things out loud, just to see if they 'sound right' — and I do wish some of my fellow KudoZ-answerers would sometimes do the same!

It's a habit I got into years ago when writing movie and other scripts for performance — convincing dialogue can be so difficult to write, and saying it out loud is the only way I know of really checking its viability.

Another related thing I do, and I'd like to know if others do the same thing, is to regularly mis-type homonyms. I don't do this very often in my native language, but (rather surprisingly, I felt) I do do it in my second language [French] — so I may type 'mais' for 'mes' or 'ont' for 'on'. What I'm interested in knowing is why, if thinking of a word and its spelling and typing it is a purely visual process, with no speech involved, the element of sound should even come into it — and this is something I have noticed among some of my students, even in their native language.
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Sorry Tony ... Oct 27, 2007

Tony M wrote:

... I'd like to know if others do the same thing, is to regularly mis-type homonyms. I don't do this very often in my native language, but (rather surprisingly, I felt) I do do it in my second language [French] — so I may type 'mais' for 'mes' or 'ont' for 'on'.

... but although we often agree on KudoZ answers relating to the media I guess you're on your own with that problem. At least as far as I'm concerned.

MediaMatrix

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:43
francuski > angielski
+ ...
In Memoriam
Yes Oct 27, 2007

Yes, I talk to myself. It's the only way to get any intelligent conversation.
No, but seriously, like others, I swear at the ghastly terminology - "what a load of cr*p!" (especially when it's about modern "art"), tick myself off for being stupid - "get it together, you silly old bag", sing snatches of songs - usually songs I can't stand that keep going through my head, and so on. The signs of incipient madness ? Yes, for dialogue, saying it out loud is virtually essential. It helps to b
... See more
Yes, I talk to myself. It's the only way to get any intelligent conversation.
No, but seriously, like others, I swear at the ghastly terminology - "what a load of cr*p!" (especially when it's about modern "art"), tick myself off for being stupid - "get it together, you silly old bag", sing snatches of songs - usually songs I can't stand that keep going through my head, and so on. The signs of incipient madness ? Yes, for dialogue, saying it out loud is virtually essential. It helps to be an (amateur) actor, I think.
Love,
Jenny.
Collapse

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugalia
Local time: 22:43
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > portugalski
+ ...
I also talk to myself :-) Oct 27, 2007

It helps to me concentrate especially when I am not alone and there are people making noise.

I think I've acquired this habit since the time when I studied for examinations. Back then I already did and it almost felt like I was talking to somebody, because not only do I talk, but I also make gestures

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Local time: 23:43
Członek ProZ.com
angielski > turecki
+ ...
I never talk to myself when translating Oct 27, 2007

But I discuss with my dictionaries and other resources, inquire and comment on the author, and especially if I'm translating fiction, I always take an active part in the life events and relationships of the characters - not that I like meddling, but they always need a lot of advice and insight from me. Also, of course I cannot leave the yet-to-form readership alone - I am a regular commentator and narrator for their benefit. Expletives! Oh, horrible! Well, maybe I have so far said one thing or t... See more
But I discuss with my dictionaries and other resources, inquire and comment on the author, and especially if I'm translating fiction, I always take an active part in the life events and relationships of the characters - not that I like meddling, but they always need a lot of advice and insight from me. Also, of course I cannot leave the yet-to-form readership alone - I am a regular commentator and narrator for their benefit. Expletives! Oh, horrible! Well, maybe I have so far said one thing or two to some software applications, but... and certainly in no way any expletives whatsoever for my dear fellow translator while proofreading

Hmm, when I have so many conversation partners around, why on earth would I ever need to talk to myself? Am I crazy?
Collapse

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:43
niderlandzki > angielski
+ ...
I have an attentive audience when I talk to myself Oct 27, 2007

Of the canine kind, that is. When I work I have elaborate discussions with my 4 dogs on the translation, topic and whether this word/phrase or that would be more appropiate. I swear that they understand every word that I say. A well-placed scratch on this or that head and a treat also helps to keep the attention undivided.

But I do not know if this is really talking to myself as I have a living audience. The dogs sit all around me and one is under my desk using one of my feet as
... See more
Of the canine kind, that is. When I work I have elaborate discussions with my 4 dogs on the translation, topic and whether this word/phrase or that would be more appropiate. I swear that they understand every word that I say. A well-placed scratch on this or that head and a treat also helps to keep the attention undivided.

But I do not know if this is really talking to myself as I have a living audience. The dogs sit all around me and one is under my desk using one of my feet as a pillow.

Lucinda
Collapse

Alana Quintyne
Alana Quintyne  Identity Verified
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Isn't it normal? Oct 30, 2007

I do. I thought it was normal. " Why can't I find this?" " This is so boring:roll: but it pays the bills;-)", "WTH?!", "Okay it's time for me to take a break from you,"...stuff like that. I woudn't be able to keep my mouth shut in translation. I make it fun that way and besides I work alone most of the time so it helps to break the silence.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you talk to yourself when you translate? How?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »