Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:38
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 31, 2007

Jim Gleeson of Madison, Wis., beat out thousands of other prose manglers who entered San Jose State University's 2007 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest with this convoluted opening sentence to a nonexistent novel:

"Gerald began -- but was interrupted by a piercing whistle which cost him ten percent of his hearing permanently, as it did everyone else in a ten-mile radius of the eruption, not that it mattered much because for them "permanently" meant the next ten minutes or so until burie
... See more
Jim Gleeson of Madison, Wis., beat out thousands of other prose manglers who entered San Jose State University's 2007 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest with this convoluted opening sentence to a nonexistent novel:

"Gerald began -- but was interrupted by a piercing whistle which cost him ten percent of his hearing permanently, as it did everyone else in a ten-mile radius of the eruption, not that it mattered much because for them "permanently" meant the next ten minutes or so until buried by searing lava or suffocated by choking ash -- to pee," Gleeson wrote.

(c) and full text:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/13785271/detail.html
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 04:38
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
LOL Aug 2, 2007

I check these out every year. They're so funny! There is some truly putrid prose to be read in these submissions.

Thanks for the link, Kirill.

Nancy

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:38
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A fuller link Aug 2, 2007

Sorry, I found a fuller link today, made me stunned. Some perfectly admirable pieces of prose (I especially love the Children Literature part: Out of a hole in the ground popped a bunny rabbit which had a long thick orange carrot between its teeth and a big splotch of mud on its back that had dried into a dirt clump the size of a tumor.) But OK, you better enjoy yourselves this year:

<
... See more
Sorry, I found a fuller link today, made me stunned. Some perfectly admirable pieces of prose (I especially love the Children Literature part: Out of a hole in the ground popped a bunny rabbit which had a long thick orange carrot between its teeth and a big splotch of mud on its back that had dried into a dirt clump the size of a tumor.) But OK, you better enjoy yourselves this year:

http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/english/2007.htm
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Worst Writing Contest

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »