Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: What\'s the most unusual interpreting/translation job you\'ve done?
Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sinister! Dec 11, 2002

The weirdest translation assignment I ever did was translating a marketing brochure for a cosmetics company specializing in funereal makeup, that is the stuff they put on dead people\'s face to make them look less dead.

ME

Rita Bandinelli
Rita Bandinelli
Local time: 19:34
English to Italian
+ ...
my contribution - translating for ... translators! Dec 13, 2002

Hallo everyone.

There are serveral stories I could tell, but the one that is most vivid in my memory dates back to the early 80\'s, when I was working at the Embassy of the Republic of China (Taiwan) here in Rome.

The then Press Officer was trying to hire an assistant with interpreting skills, so interviews started. He was running the interviews on his own. At a certain point, I saw him coming to my office with bewildered looks ...
See more
Hallo everyone.

There are serveral stories I could tell, but the one that is most vivid in my memory dates back to the early 80\'s, when I was working at the Embassy of the Republic of China (Taiwan) here in Rome.

The then Press Officer was trying to hire an assistant with interpreting skills, so interviews started. He was running the interviews on his own. At a certain point, I saw him coming to my office with bewildered looks - \"could you please come and help me?\"

I found an Italian young lady sitting in his office waiting hopefully. She could only speak Italian and the Press Officer could only speak French (and Chinese), and I had to help the applicant make herself understood when she said that she was offering her services as a FRIT interpreter!! \"Why are you applying if you cannot speak French?!\", asked the man. She candidly promised that she would be studying it diligently and reach excellent levels in no time! (the vacancy had to be filled urgently).

(Of course, in her CV she claimed to have excellent language skills!...)

Ciao.
Collapse

Clair Pickworth
Clair Pickworth  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Nudists... Dec 16, 2002

I haven\'t actually done any interpreting in a nudist camp, but I did have to translate the brochure for one a couple of years ago. It brightened up a chilly January day here in Normandy discovering what they got up to under the presumably sunnier skies of the South of France. I did ask the project manager if they could pay me with vouchers for a week\'s holiday there instead of the usual cheque ...

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 01:34
English
+ ...
Buxom Catheter Dec 17, 2002

I got called in by one pharmaceutical supplies manufacturer to review an ad campaign they were planning and asked to see previous stuff they\'d done. They reluctantly produced a glossy folder for their state-of-the-art catheter trademarked: Tit-A-Cath.

Keep your trousers zipped: it\'s t-i-t as in Titanium.

brackets
brackets
French to English
Oy, don't get me started Jan 4, 2003

Among the far too many---

There was the time when I was called in by a reputed theatre company as a linguistic consultant, and it turned out that all they really wanted was to know the correct pronunciation of \'fuck off\' and other such poetic phrases in Russian. So we spent four days insulting each other\'s mother and getting \'asshole,\' just right.

And then there was the man who called me saying he was in ceramics and needed an interpreter for two Br
... See more
Among the far too many---

There was the time when I was called in by a reputed theatre company as a linguistic consultant, and it turned out that all they really wanted was to know the correct pronunciation of \'fuck off\' and other such poetic phrases in Russian. So we spent four days insulting each other\'s mother and getting \'asshole,\' just right.

And then there was the man who called me saying he was in ceramics and needed an interpreter for two British visitors to his workshop. So I spent days brushing up on my pottery terminology and went, feeling very sure of myself, to the job.

And, well, it turns out that he was not a potter at all and the ceramics in question were in fact toilet bowls and bidets, of which my knowledge is, uh, basic. So to speak. So I blushed and fumbled and gestured my way through the day, apologizing in two languages for my lack of knowledge.

And then they bought me dinner.
Collapse

Araksia Sarkisian
Araksia Sarkisian  Identity Verified
Poland
Armenian to Polish
+ ...
And probably you know the famous anecdote about him?...:) (I mean Mikoyan, of course...:) Jan 25, 2003

Quote:

On 2002-12-05 09:13, jdoughty wrote:

At BBC Monitoring, we transcribed speeches from tape. Some speakers were practically impossible, especially if they chose to speak in other than their native tongue. The Polish communist leader Gomulka, when visiting the Soviet Union, insisted on speaking in \"Russian\", but though we had monitors who were fluent in both Polish and Russian, they couldn\'t make out what he meant in many ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-05 09:13, jdoughty wrote:

At BBC Monitoring, we transcribed speeches from tape. Some speakers were practically impossible, especially if they chose to speak in other than their native tongue. The Polish communist leader Gomulka, when visiting the Soviet Union, insisted on speaking in \"Russian\", but though we had monitors who were fluent in both Polish and Russian, they couldn\'t make out what he meant in many cases. Brezhnev mumbled rather incoherently in his last year or two. Chernenko was permanently out of breath and his speeches were full of puffing and gasping, so he was a problem too. Khrushchev used to depart from his script (as published in Pravda next day), introducing weird proverbs which nobody knew and which we suspected he made up himself.

At one time, Mikoyan, an Armenian, was Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet. His Armenian accent was so strong that he was practically undecipherable too.

I hope this posting is not so incoherent as any of the above.

(¡Cecilia, prefiero al loro colorado!)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-05 12:26 ]

Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:34
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
What is this famous anecdote? Jan 25, 2003

No, Araksia, I don\'t know it, so I hope you\'ll tell me.

MJ Barber
MJ Barber  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Musical nappies Jan 28, 2003

I once did a translation of a patent application for nappies (diapers for our American cousins) that beeped when they were soiled.

They were available in baby and incontinent adult sizes, and the alternatives included nappies that flashed a light (presumably for deaf incontinents) or played a little tune, like a mobile phone.

My son (about 8 at the time) thought this was hilarious, and kept suggesting tunes/songs: beep-do-do-beep-beep, granny\'s done a
... See more
I once did a translation of a patent application for nappies (diapers for our American cousins) that beeped when they were soiled.

They were available in baby and incontinent adult sizes, and the alternatives included nappies that flashed a light (presumably for deaf incontinents) or played a little tune, like a mobile phone.

My son (about 8 at the time) thought this was hilarious, and kept suggesting tunes/songs: beep-do-do-beep-beep, granny\'s done a poo ...

Unrelated, but reminded to me by the story of the Scots in Italy, I used to be friendly with a fellow on the Madrid Celtic football team, as the name implies, a team of (mostly) Irish lads playing in Madrid. They once had an away game in a pueblo and were afterwards invited by the host team back to the pub. About 3 o\'clock in the afternoon the hosts departed (they all have to go back to their mammy\'s house for dinner) and the captain, also the mayor of the town, told the barstaff to \'look after these guys, serve them all they want\'.

Boy, was that a mistake ...
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:34
English to French
A letter Jan 30, 2003

Nothing real funny, but still, talk about unusual. One of my client asked me to translate a letter from French to English. Being French, I refused, but she insisted on the basis that the English translators didn\'t understand a word of it.

I said fine, I\'ll give it a try, send me the stuff. I was getting curious, as you imagine. In turn I received a short pdf file, and yes indeed, that was a letter...handwritten, dated from the 18th century, originating from the Prince of
... See more
Nothing real funny, but still, talk about unusual. One of my client asked me to translate a letter from French to English. Being French, I refused, but she insisted on the basis that the English translators didn\'t understand a word of it.

I said fine, I\'ll give it a try, send me the stuff. I was getting curious, as you imagine. In turn I received a short pdf file, and yes indeed, that was a letter...handwritten, dated from the 18th century, originating from the Prince of whatever to his sister.

Damm it. I know translation agencies, sometimes backlog their translations, but 250 year is kind of, don\'t you think so?
Collapse

Susan Geiblinger
Susan Geiblinger  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
My most embarrassing Feb 1, 2003

I not only translate but also tutor children and adults.

I was trying to get some Austrian schoolboys to translate \"Schirmständer\" into English. I broke the word down and asked \"What is a Schirm in English?\" and they promptly told me umbrella. Then I asked \"and what is a Stä...\" and had to stop in midsentence as they went red and burst out giggling.As a middle-aged woman with such adolescent erotic thoughts far from my mind it took me a while to remember what this was slang for
... See more
I not only translate but also tutor children and adults.

I was trying to get some Austrian schoolboys to translate \"Schirmständer\" into English. I broke the word down and asked \"What is a Schirm in English?\" and they promptly told me umbrella. Then I asked \"and what is a Stä...\" and had to stop in midsentence as they went red and burst out giggling.As a middle-aged woman with such adolescent erotic thoughts far from my mind it took me a while to remember what this was slang for.

The mirth was even greater after I realised what I had almost said and all three of us roared with pink faces for ages.
Collapse

Empty Whiskey Glass
Empty Whiskey Glass
Local time: 20:34
Bulgarian
+ ...
Unusual intepreting Feb 15, 2003

Hi, crew!

I\'d like to join this funny stuff going on here.

So here\'s my story:

A couple of years ago I was assigned to interpret for two chinese ladies, Ericsson employees, who had to pass a driving license test at the Traffic Control Department in Sofia, Bulgaria. In case you don\'t know, Bulgarian cops happen to be extremely corrupt.

So, we headed for the Department and the two ladies started to convince me to assist them in a subtle and inv
... See more
Hi, crew!

I\'d like to join this funny stuff going on here.

So here\'s my story:

A couple of years ago I was assigned to interpret for two chinese ladies, Ericsson employees, who had to pass a driving license test at the Traffic Control Department in Sofia, Bulgaria. In case you don\'t know, Bulgarian cops happen to be extremely corrupt.

So, we headed for the Department and the two ladies started to convince me to assist them in a subtle and invisible way. Since I was prepared for this stuff I replied appropriately that I would do my best (what a cliche)).

When we reached the Police Department I needed some 40 muinutes to explain to the Examining Board what was my task, about my confidentiality, honesty, and so on...

Alas, the officer to whom I explained the whole situation was as dead as a dodo. He almost accused me that I would tell the correct answers to the ladies. You may bet that I denied. Still, by any chance you may remember that this was part of my deal with the ladies. Anyway, having lost a flat hour of useless explanation, we left the Department; I felt strange, and the two chinese ladies unsatisfied with the result.

The other funny story was last summer. I was employed by the International Department of St. Kliment Ohridski University of Sofia to interpret for a Japanese delegation to the University.

Well, I have always known that every grant to the University has some leakage. But this was really something. The head accountant of the University was telling some fairy tales about how the money was spent and stuff. This was sortof funny. I almost started laughing at some point. Fortunately that part of the meeting ended soon.

But much more was to come.

There was a dinner at a very posh restaurant in Sofia. While one of the ladies from the Japanese delegation was talking about the years to come, all of a sudden a waiter interrupted her with the cry: Excuse me lady, do you want some pepper. (These were the exact words of the waiter)

Well, the lady was stunned, perplexed, shocked. She felt at sea, she was so surprised that no word came of of her mouth.

And there was more to come. But I am starting to laugh as I remember this...

Sliante!

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-16 13:49]
Collapse

Yamato (X)
Yamato (X)
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:34
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Gamberros!!! Feb 24, 2003

I remember that, when I was about 14, a friend and I used to play a joke on women in the street.

He would pretend to not to be able to speak,speak by gesture language, and I would pretend to be the translator, his brother.

He would go up to someone and start gesturing, and I would explain that he wanted something and that I would translate. After \"hearing\" him, I would say \"no way! I am NOT translating that!\"

He would insist and
... See more
I remember that, when I was about 14, a friend and I used to play a joke on women in the street.

He would pretend to not to be able to speak,speak by gesture language, and I would pretend to be the translator, his brother.

He would go up to someone and start gesturing, and I would explain that he wanted something and that I would translate. After \"hearing\" him, I would say \"no way! I am NOT translating that!\"

He would insist and I would deny again.

He would insist a couple more times, but with the difference that his gestures would become more... let\'s say \"explicit\", in a sexual way.

When the woman was sufficiently stunned, I would drag my friend away and laugh out loud after turning the nearest corner. xDDD

Man, weren\'t we real gamberros...
Collapse

Mirelluk
Mirelluk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:34
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
You never stop learning with this job Feb 24, 2003

My most embarassing interpreting assignment was 20 years ago with a foreign delegation visiting an Italian company that produced (and still does very successfully) condoms. Initially they had started with rubber gloves and then moved to the more lucrative market of condoms. I learnt how the lattice is formed into the right shape, all available sizes and surface/external finishings, bacteriological treatments, final test of each item before packaging and so on. I was much younger and the only wom... See more
My most embarassing interpreting assignment was 20 years ago with a foreign delegation visiting an Italian company that produced (and still does very successfully) condoms. Initially they had started with rubber gloves and then moved to the more lucrative market of condoms. I learnt how the lattice is formed into the right shape, all available sizes and surface/external finishings, bacteriological treatments, final test of each item before packaging and so on. I was much younger and the only woman around, apart from the female workers in charge of the testing procedure, but that is a very funny and very true story that would take too long to explain. Anyway I decided to be bold and ignore the nature of the items and focus on the production technology. There was also a sideline of items for male incontinence.

A truly very embarassing but very informative job, made easier by the professional approach that everybody mantained throughout.

Something to write home about, or to tell my Proz collegues!

Mirella

Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
The Lord's work Feb 28, 2003

Many years ago, I lived in Treviso. One lunchtime, there was a rather excited phone call from the secretary of a small local company, asking me if I could do a bit of interpreting.

\"Certainly\", I said, \"when?\"

\"Eh, now\", she replied, \"It\'s urgent, please come\".

I had a couple of hours to kill, so off I went to find the company, which turned out to be a manufacturer of religious supplies, with a fine stock of everything from candles t
... See more
Many years ago, I lived in Treviso. One lunchtime, there was a rather excited phone call from the secretary of a small local company, asking me if I could do a bit of interpreting.

\"Certainly\", I said, \"when?\"

\"Eh, now\", she replied, \"It\'s urgent, please come\".

I had a couple of hours to kill, so off I went to find the company, which turned out to be a manufacturer of religious supplies, with a fine stock of everything from candles to high altars.

It didn\'t take long to spot the source of the secretary\'s agitation, a two meter tall (and equally broad) gentleman of colour in full tribal dress, complete with natty briefcase and an English accent that obviously hadn\'t come cheap.

This apparition presented me with an elegant business card, on which it stated that he was an importer of religious paraphernalia into Nigeria, where he also held a chair in business studies and was in fact the chief of the tribe whose formal costume he was sporting with such panache.

When the people at the church supplies company had taken all this on board, they relaxed, a brief but mutually satisfactory meeting was convened on the spot, and a trial order duly placed.

I suppose the moral of the story is that if you go abroad on a business trip, make sure you have suitable clothing, sufficient finance, and a good list of contacts.

And an appointment.

Cheers,

Giles
Collapse

Giusy Cembalo
Giusy Cembalo
English to Italian
+ ...
And I... Mar 6, 2003

... had to translate to Russian some letters for a men having a relationship with an Ukrainian working for his wife. But after two letters I gave up, I felt too guilty.

Bye

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What\'s the most unusual interpreting/translation job you\'ve done?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »