Off topic: winner of the "Home Office from Hell" contest
Thread poster: Sherey Gould
Sherey Gould
Sherey Gould  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:16
German to English
Mar 31, 2006

I believe the great majority of us could've won this contest quite easily (had we heard of it in time!) - announcing the winner of the "Home Office from Hell" contest sponsored by an office leasing company:
http://www.offices2share.com/contest/

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:16
Polish to English
+ ...
Item 9 Mar 31, 2006

Takes the cake.

"When potential clients hear that I work out of my home, they respond with "Oh, so you're not a REAL business."

Pawel Skalinski

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
English to German
New item Mar 31, 2006

Wonder if I would have had a chance in the contest with this one:

I have a very hard time explaining to my husband that when I am in my office, I am off to work just like everyone else. I am simply not here, I tell him. 'But I can see you', he always replies.

Sherey Gould
Sherey Gould  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:16
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
"Got a second?" Mar 31, 2006

yes, and friends (or worse!) feel it couldn't be that much of a bother to simply stop by and chat for a while because it's also one's home, not "technically" a workplace....
I was actually asked once by a neighbor why I vacuumed in the evenings "since you are home all day anyway" - !!

Aisling O'Callaghan
Aisling O'Callaghan
English to Irish
+ ...
Hellish office following busy spell... Mar 31, 2006

Well there's no better way to describe my office right now than "hell". Of course you could use "disorganised", "sloppy" but having been run off my feet recently my office can best be described as "hell". Today's the day though!! They say, some people thrive in chaos... if so I'd love to hear their secret

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
English to German
"She's only doing some typing" Apr 1, 2006

Sherey Gould wrote:

yes, and friends (or worse!) feel it couldn't be that much of a bother to simply stop by and chat for a while because it's also one's home, not "technically" a workplace....
I was actually asked once by a neighbor why I vacuumed in the evenings "since you are home all day anyway" - !!

One of my neighbors (ok, he's very old and maybe even a bit senile), keeps telling everyone around here that I don't have a *real* occupation or business. All I am doing, he says, is typing away at my computer all day long - and what kind of occupation should *that* be???

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
I just hate clients waking me up ;-) Apr 3, 2006

PAS wrote:

Takes the cake.

"When potential clients hear that I work out of my home, they respond with "Oh, so you're not a REAL business."

I couldn't agree more. This is probably what a potential client of mine thought a couple of days ago, after calling early in the morning. I struggled to crawl out of bed and get to the phone, and I was desperately trying not to yawn while speaking, when suddenly the unmistakable noise of an alarm clock was heard

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Always that item Apr 6, 2006

I even had someone feeling free to ask me babysit her child a couple of hours while she had to go to work... so that I was home, anyway

Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Agree Apr 21, 2006

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:

Wonder if I would have had a chance in the contest with this one:

I have a very hard time explaining to my husband that when I am in my office, I am off to work just like everyone else. I am simply not here, I tell him. 'But I can see you', he always replies.

Agree. Also "You've been home all day, why do I have to do the dishes?"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

winner of the "Home Office from Hell" contest

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »