Off topic: Rscheearch shwos: Spleling dsneo't mtater!
Thread poster: Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:00
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Nov 16, 2005

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas... See more
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

(see bleow for mroe infromatoin and an exlpantaion)

[Edited at 2005-11-16 22:56]
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Perfectly understandable Nov 16, 2005

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

Wonderful! The text is perfectly understandable without effort. However, I wouldn’t try this with a client!

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
With a client...? Nov 16, 2005

Mihai Badea wrote:
However, I wouldn’t try this with a client!

Why not? It makes a lot more sense than some of the things they give us to translate from!!!

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, aimnazg! Nov 16, 2005

Both the results of the research and...your post. My gnodsoes! I couldn't believe I could really understand what I was reading! Wanted to give it a try but soon realized it would take too long to change the order of the letters here...
Maybe next time.

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Heer's a lnik to the ogrnial actirle I raed... Nov 16, 2005

...wtih mnay mroe eaxpmels from ohter lagnauegs too:

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
You᾿re rghit Nov 16, 2005

Dusty wrote:

Why not? It makes a lot more sense than some of the things they give us to translate from!!!

You᾿re rghit hree. Smteoimes I wolud be hppay to dael wtih scuh a txet istaend of a "noraml" one.

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

...wtih mnay mroe eaxpmels from ohter lagnauegs too:

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/

Tankhs for the lnik, Deerk!

[Edited at 2005-11-16 23:05]

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Nov 16, 2005

I'm hvaing fun!

Wrkos pfecltrey in Snpsiah, too!

[Edited at 2005-11-16 23:13]

Cyinopg to the Snpsiah fuorm.

[Edited at 2005-11-16 23:33]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some of them certainly deserve it Nov 17, 2005

Dusty wrote:

Mihai Badea wrote:

Derek, I popped in here thinking someone had gone idioglossiac...

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
It's been around for a while... Nov 17, 2005

This whole thing has been around for a while.

And while I agree that it's quite amazing, there's one major point of criticism. Once you scramble a more complicated text, it's much, much, much harder to actually understand a word. I remember having a scrambled Sigmund Freud text somewhere that is basically impossible to read.

Unfortunately, I can't find it any more...

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
I suspect .... Nov 17, 2005

.... that this is because it's impossible to understand in the first place!

Sorry, couldn't help that one;-)

Interesting concept though - what about people who suffer from dyslexia? I would have thought they were proof this theory didn't stand up.
Angela

Jalapeno wrote:

This whole thing has been around for a while.

And while I agree that it's quite amazing, there's one major point of criticism. Once you scramble a more complicated text, it's much, much, much harder to actually understand a word. I remember having a scrambled Sigmund Freud text somewhere that is basically impossible to read.

Unfortunately, I can't find it any more...

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Qitue Rhgit Oct 19, 2009

I hvae jsut tierd rindaeg the prhsae mlesyf and gsues waht! I cluod allctuay urdnetadns it!

Deos not look lkie Esnligh touhgh.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
hoax Oct 19, 2009

This has come up frequently during the last few years (though with a different text). It is widely believed to be a hoax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoax ).

Edit to add: One point to prove this is a hoax is that Cambridge University would, in a serious paper, certainly conduct research, not researchch ...

[Bearbeitet
... See more
This has come up frequently during the last few years (though with a different text). It is widely believed to be a hoax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoax ).

Edit to add: One point to prove this is a hoax is that Cambridge University would, in a serious paper, certainly conduct research, not researchch ...

[Bearbeitet am 2009-10-19 15:39 GMT]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:00
English to French
+ ...
No problem! Oct 19, 2009

Tony M wrote:

Mihai Badea wrote:

It is still far more intelligible than the machine translation output some of us have to deal with!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rscheearch shwos: Spleling dsneo't mtater!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »