Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: What was the craziest thing you have ever done to submit a n assignment?
Thread poster: Sabine Akabayov, PhD
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:04
French to English
Pre-Internet days: Jun 17, 2014

once I cancelled weekend plans (one plan being to go round to see an elderly neighbour to help her with some paperwork) to do a translation for a new client. Then on the Monday I was waiting around for the courier to pick up the floppy disk. He hadn't shown up by lunchtime, and my neighbour's paperwork was getting urgent. So I called the client to let them know I would be over at my neighbour's. I couldn't remember the number when speaking to her on the phone but I faxed a map and the full addre... See more
once I cancelled weekend plans (one plan being to go round to see an elderly neighbour to help her with some paperwork) to do a translation for a new client. Then on the Monday I was waiting around for the courier to pick up the floppy disk. He hadn't shown up by lunchtime, and my neighbour's paperwork was getting urgent. So I called the client to let them know I would be over at my neighbour's. I couldn't remember the number when speaking to her on the phone but I faxed a map and the full address to the courier firm. We sat in her yard out the front so I would see the courier coming. The street was like a tiny village lane, very few cars ever went down there. A motorbike whizzed past, and I leapt up and ran after him, waving, to no avail.

I phoned the client who told me that the courier hadn't found us, he had supposedly spent 45 minutes searching for us (I suspect he had a bite for lunch). She was angry because I hadn't told her the full address (although of course I had faxed it) I ended up having to go into town myself, toddler in tow. When I arrived, they were all having a very late pizza lunch and her boss invited me to join them, they subsequently became a very good client of mine.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What was the craziest thing you have ever done to submit a n assignment?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »