Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Your desk/workstation essentials!
Thread poster: Tom Jamieson
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:53
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Me too! Mar 3, 2014

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

I work best when I am surrounded by a certain amount of chaos.

Apart from that, a dictionary or thesaurus (yes - I like using paper dictionaries, in addition to digital ones) and a notebook + pen.

I decided when I left boarding school that I had tidied up almost enough to last me a lifetime.

One of my son's friends explained once, when even I got exasperated at the state of my son's room...

"Fools tidy up. A genius masters chaos!"

Now I have taken over the same room, and the boys were right. It is MUCH more comfortable with a certain amount of orderly chaos.
That means I can find things, but everyone else thinks it's a mess.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:53
Chinese to English
No desk/yes to mess Mar 4, 2014

I barely have a desk at all. I work on a laptop, and I sometimes put it on a little computer table, sometimes I work in bed, sometimes in a coffee shop, sometimes at the dining table. Basically, I need nothing but the laptop itself and a power socket. I do like my coffee, and I try to make sure its available, but actually the work has its own stimulant effect.
Fully agree with all the praise of good mess, though. The floor is a good filing system. And I can tell you why: as translators we
... See more
I barely have a desk at all. I work on a laptop, and I sometimes put it on a little computer table, sometimes I work in bed, sometimes in a coffee shop, sometimes at the dining table. Basically, I need nothing but the laptop itself and a power socket. I do like my coffee, and I try to make sure its available, but actually the work has its own stimulant effect.
Fully agree with all the praise of good mess, though. The floor is a good filing system. And I can tell you why: as translators we need lots of words for things. If I kept my stuff in some kind of alphabetical order, I would have no idea whether my dictionaries were under D for dictionary, R for reference books, E for essentials or C for Chinese books. If I ordered things by concept it wouldn't be much better. Would I have my dictionaries in my words space, or in my learning space? But when I map spatially on the floor, there's no ambiguity. I know my dictionaries live in the corner.
The fact that my wife is unconvinced by this logic merely shows that she's not a translator.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:53
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
A human skull Mar 4, 2014

He is my muse. In summer he usually wears sunglasses.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Awesome Mar 4, 2014

Nicole Schnell wrote:

He is my muse. In summer he usually wears sunglasses.

Nicole I have always thought you are truly awesome in the teenage sense of the word.

Be tacking the old-fashioned sense of it on now!

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
I have a new post-it! Mar 4, 2014

Christine Andersen wrote:

"Fools tidy up. A genius masters chaos!"

This is going on a post-it for my screen right now

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sadly, I have nothing interesting to tell you ... Mar 4, 2014

I have an Asus PC and another one as backup and to display pdfs that refuse to print out for some reason, the world's oldest printer, the lectern with the job printouts positioned vertically and horizontally to keep them separate (three at the minute), the mobile for annoyances various, an overhead desk lamp for I know not what reason, a pen drive to store half-done jobs I'm paranoid about losing (and an external hard disk in a drawer nearby to copy the whole shebang once a week), and a little c... See more
I have an Asus PC and another one as backup and to display pdfs that refuse to print out for some reason, the world's oldest printer, the lectern with the job printouts positioned vertically and horizontally to keep them separate (three at the minute), the mobile for annoyances various, an overhead desk lamp for I know not what reason, a pen drive to store half-done jobs I'm paranoid about losing (and an external hard disk in a drawer nearby to copy the whole shebang once a week), and a little container for pens and things. That's it.

I'm curious about that skull, Nicole. A Dark Secret, perhaps?

Mervyn
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:53
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Well, there was this one client... Mar 4, 2014

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

He was a chronic late payer, until one day... well, I don't want to bore you with details.

Mark Benson (X)
Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
Paying late for your chronic is never good... Mar 4, 2014

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

He was a chronic late payer, until one day... well, I don't want to bore you with details.

I hope that you're nicer to translators who are late with deadlines.

And Nicole? What do you do to the non-payers?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your desk/workstation essentials!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »