Off topic: Χαμένοι στη μετάφραση (Lost in translation)
Thread poster: Giles Watson
Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:19
Italian to English
In memoriam
Jan 30, 2014

There was a curious story this morning in a Greek-language newsletter to which I subscribe.

The subject is a statement that Austrian MEP Othmar Karas made - in English - to a group of Greek parliamentarians regarding a meeting with opposition leader Alexis Tsipras. Apparently, the interpreter "misheard" Mr Tsipras' name as "Zypern", the German for "Cy
... See more
There was a curious story this morning in a Greek-language newsletter to which I subscribe.

The subject is a statement that Austrian MEP Othmar Karas made - in English - to a group of Greek parliamentarians regarding a meeting with opposition leader Alexis Tsipras. Apparently, the interpreter "misheard" Mr Tsipras' name as "Zypern", the German for "Cyprus", with the result that parliamentarians from his party, SYRIZA, were able to ignore Mr Karas' harsh words about their leader (one is quoted as saying that if they had caught the reference to Mr Tsipras, they would have chased Mr Othmar out the door).

The article goes on to say that SYRIZA later announced an official protest so I'm wondering if this is perhaps a case of "blame it on the interpreter" to gain a little time, in which case congratulations to whoever thought up the wheeze!

Has anyone in Greece got any more on this story?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Χαμένοι στη μετάφραση (Lost in translation)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »