Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:21
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Aaaah, those were the days! Sep 17, 2013

That was how it actually worked way back when I trained as a librarian!!!

Well, not quite.

But if you had to order books or papers from the reference library, it might take us 30 days to get through the backlog and find what you needed. Even then, people had work in hand, which they had to finish before starting on your job

Of course, we sent it by mail, express if you paid extra, so that to
... See more
That was how it actually worked way back when I trained as a librarian!!!

Well, not quite.

But if you had to order books or papers from the reference library, it might take us 30 days to get through the backlog and find what you needed. Even then, people had work in hand, which they had to finish before starting on your job

Of course, we sent it by mail, express if you paid extra, so that took some of the thirty days. Only Scotty from Star Trek knew how to beam things around instantaneously

'Other' would include microfiche.
If you think a WYSIWYG monitor is hard on your eyes... You have simply not adjusted it properly.

But I do miss AltaVista.

Thanks for the smile, Nicole!
Collapse

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:21
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
I love it Sep 18, 2013

It's fantastic!

Very very big smile.

I miss those times but fortunately (though I am not completely sure about this "fortunately") they have disappeared.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:21
English to Spanish
Very funny! Sep 18, 2013

And incredibly efficient.

Google reportedly processes 100 billion searches every month. Assuming that during a power outage they only receive 1% of the regular amount (through snail mail using the envelope posted by Nicole), that would be 1 billion searches per month, or 139 million per hour!

A 30-day turnaround? Super-efficient!

Although in reality it would probably take more like 30 years --or longer (you do the math)-- to receive an answer from Google
... See more
And incredibly efficient.

Google reportedly processes 100 billion searches every month. Assuming that during a power outage they only receive 1% of the regular amount (through snail mail using the envelope posted by Nicole), that would be 1 billion searches per month, or 139 million per hour!

A 30-day turnaround? Super-efficient!

Although in reality it would probably take more like 30 years --or longer (you do the math)-- to receive an answer from Google in those circumstances, even if the power outage lasts only 1 hour (assuming a worldwide power outage).

Thank you, Nicole, for posting that!

[Edited at 2013-09-18 15:54 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Research during power outages

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »